New member from SE London

stair

I thought it was time for me to stop lurking and introduce myself!

I'm from Eltham, SE London - I've been interested in astronomy since I was a boy, but I couldn't get serious about it until I moved into my first house a while back. I started with a second hand Skywatcher Explorer 150P, and since I have bought a 300P (the light bucket!) I'm using both still - it's a bit easier to experiment or travel with the 150!

I'm a keen amateur photographer, so I was attracted to astrophotography, but my results on anything but the moon have been pretty mixed so far. I have used a Canon SLR for prime focus photography, and I am lucky enough to already own a SPC900 webcam so I'm hoping to start using that also.

Light pollution is always the problem for me being so close to London. I've not tried going to another location yet - I think I would quite a long drive to get anywhere with dark skies.

I've attached a couple of examples of my (not particularly impressive) astrophotography! The first is from the 28th when Ganymede was transiting Jupiter, and the second is Jupiter again, but last night. Both done with the 300P and a SLR - any suggestions on how to improve my technique gratefully accepted!!

Alastair

post-22869-0-46348300-1354721046_thumb.j

post-22869-0-37590100-1354721052_thumb.j

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Alastair,

As someone who lived not far from Eltham many moons ago I can imagine what the light pollution must be like.

Good luck with your AP.

Did you find any good sites near SE London/N Kent Alan? The light pollution maps don't look great, but I'm hopeful that there's some Oasis of darkness out there somewhere!

Hello Alastair, and welcome to SGL!

I also live in Eltham! haha, have you tried the woods for a 'better' look at the stars? I have a feeling it may produce some slightly better results for me, but haven't tried yet... Lovely photography by the way.

Archived