NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello - new member from Newcastle

Markatw

Hi

I've always been interested in astronomy and now is the time to do something more active about it. I was inspired by finding this excellent site and also by a recent trip to the brilliant observatory at Kielder.

As I'm time poor I've decided to make the very best I can of observing from my somewhat light polluted back garden and I am going to invest in a pair of 10x50 binoculars to start my astronomy odyssey.

I'm very keen to get some advice about binoculars before I decide which to buy and also sources describing things I might reasonably start to observe given my observing location and equipment.

Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL, 10X50 Bins will provide great wide field views of the night sky. The more you pay for Bins the better the quality but I've enjoyed excellent views from a pair of 10x50 Bins made by Bresser (Meade) that I purchased from Lidl four years ago for less than £20. Either Astronomy Now or the Sky at Night magazines reviewed 10x50mm Bins and from memory I think a pair made by Celestron came out well. Worth doing a bit of research before you part with the cash. Hope helpful.

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. You might this site interesting both in advice on what to buy but also on things to see which is updated regularly. The author is also a member on this forum.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Dear all

Thank you for the kind welcomes - its great to be on board!

The comments about binoculars have been really helpful and thank you for the specifics Hawksmoor. I am tapping into all the v.useful insight on the equipment forum but I have a question:

I've seen lots of advice along the lines of "you get what you pay for" with binoculars (and indeed any optical instruments). Bearing that in mind I've scoured websites and forums that extol the virtues of high end, middle range and lower cost models all for different reasons. Having looked at so many of these sites it's relatively easy to pick up performance characteristics that I would be looking for in terms of such things as clarity, field of view, colour rendition, image quality across the field and eye relief.

However many low, mid and high models share very similar characteristics and in all the reviews I've read it's very rare that someone says they are not happy with their chosen instrument as per Hawksmoor's very useful comments above.

So given that the binoculars will be my main/only viewing instrument for some time to come and I would like to invest in a pair that will deliver a really good image my question is: is there really that much difference between different sets of instruments and will paying more necessarily deliver a perceptibly better image?

Thanks

Archived