Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter & Ganymede transit shadow Nov 28th

Space Cowboy

Another night of mush! Could have been spectacular with GRS and Ganymede transit but alas frustration again lol

Had a quick look at 3 or 4 and this is the best so far. Taken at 60fps 23-15pm.

I'm gonna try Neil's dyadic wavelet method on these as the noise level produced by 60fps is so high and it also produces a bad limb artefact which i believe the old chip dfk/dbk also suffered from at 60fps. This was using Gaussian linked wavelets.

gallery_4016_230_28451.png

Thats a great image considering the weather conditions. At least you got some gaps in the cloud to get some footage:.)

I live 60 miles or so North of you and its still wet and grey as a wet and grey thing. ;.)

Well done Stuart! Wow, that is lovely, especially considering the conditions last night. That moon looks so close to the planet there doesn't it?
Do you give the moon any separate treatment in processing or does it just pop out like that with the standard stacking? Can you imagine a shot like that in great seeing conditions...

Still a good shot Stuart, but as you say, if the seeing had been better this would have been spectacular. Be interesting to see if the dyadic wavelets help but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that if the seeing is poor there's not a lot you can do to really rescue the image.

Alan

Still a good shot Stuart, but as you say, if the seeing had been better this would have been spectacular. Be interesting to see if the dyadic wavelets help but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that if the seeing is poor there's not a lot you can do to really rescue the image.

Alan

Have to agree Alan, its the seeing that will make someone happy. we can dress it up a bit but thats it.

Hi Stuart, the seeing has not been kind to you yet, i know. You know the score, just when you think its becoming a waste of time something good will happen. Its those misty dewy nights that will likely give you what you want. Dont lose faith, if your anything like me, i get down about it, and even lose a bit of confidence. sometimes even start worrying something has happened to the scope. Then bang it all changes again. swings and roundabouts Stuart.

Your time will be coming round, we have plenty of time. Just snatch those nights when high pressure comes. or that mist.

Sometimes those times come when we least want to image. Its happened to me on more than one occasion. But if you want it. you got to fight for it.

I can see the seeing was dire. infact when i looked outside around here. it looked awful. But you still got detail on the moon, so you did as well as you could.

its good practice for when things do go your way. Its supposed to be clear tonight, yet on the map it showed low pressure over the uk. It likely will be rubbish again. Though i suspect better than last night. But sometimes it can surprise. so i am not sure if its worth a bash or not. I think not. But i could be wrong ? im thinking about it. but may not.

Thanks for your comments guys!

Yep I've just tried dyadic and also linear and neither produce an image as sharp as this one. I was spoilt in September with good seeing and expectations were so high for opposition but not looking good so far.

Anyhow I've got 1hr 45mins of captures so be prepared for another animation and maybe something better using winjupos as I took many 2 min avis.

Cheers Neil just seen your 2nd post!

Don't worry i'm not blaming my equipment just this freaking UK weather lol I trust my Dob 100% she was tracking beautifully last night. Auto focusser works great hence detail on the moons even in poor seeing. Just need that stroke of good fortune!

Archived