Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 - Andromeda

Letchy

So tonight is a clear night, apart from light from the moon which makes things a little more difficult....

I am looking for M31 through a pair of 10x50 binos. So far I think I might have glimpsed a smudge of M31, but she's proving elusive to my feable attempts... I have think I had found Mirach, because I have found Hamal & Sheratan, and looking directly above I see Mirach, and this is with the naked eye(s). Now, when I look through the binos at Mirach, I find a start that I believe to be directly bellow Andromeda galaxy as it is shown by Stellarium... The problem is I can not seem to find M31 at all, which sucks.

I know it is probably because of LP and the moon right now, and I will probably have to get a scope or find an area with not much LP; but I was hoping to see M31 tonight, haha.

Ah well. I guess I will wait for Orion and his belt to show up to hopefully catch a glimpse of Orion's nebula! :D

Clear skies, and happy hunting!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many different solutions to that. Some people use a monopod, others a tripod, or you can sit in a reclining garden chair and lean well back so your arms aren't carrying all the weight. In the DIY section there are even a few examples of parallelogram binocular mounts which are rather nice.

Or you could put a little more water in your whisky :)

James

Bino's are difficult to use for long periods due to the weight and angles your arms need to be at, escpecially looking straight up at M31. But don't let it put you off. Try having a short break every few minutes to give your neck and arm muscles a rest. If you can, tuck your elbows in tigh to your body for support. I use mine occasionally for wide field viewing and when skies are partially cloudy, they are much quicker than the scope. As for the smudge of M31, if your LP is anything like mine (not terrible, but enough) then it won't look much better through a scope.

Good luck and keep enjoying it ! :)

In a clear sky, whatever the state of the moon, M31 should be visible, even if other DSOs have been washed out. I do not think I have ever had a problem seeing it, even in old 8x32 binoculars. For using binoculars in objects high in the sky, sit on a deck chair or lounger.

Thank you for the advice everyone!

I had already been sitting on a chair out in the garden, so I think the next step would be to invest in a tripod mount. I also want to travel to a location without as much LP as I currently have... I love the night sky! It's addicting, haha.

I remember my first view of M31 through 10x50's from a rather light polluted Sheffield, it was the first galaxy I'd ever seen and it really got me going. It took a while to find but its very faint where I am. I find the best views of M31 are through my pair of 15x70's, a short drive away from sheffield and into even slightly darker sky's shows it rather brightly with a nice central bulge

:) truly an awesome sight :)

Jason

Tried to find this last night. Failed with my noob talent. Just need more practice I guess. How hard is to find without using binoc's? (as I don't have any)

I find it quite easy, but I do have the benefit of dark sky. However, if you find the square of Pegasus to start with, that's usually the easiest place to work from for me. If you stand facing it, then the top left star (the one nearest Cassiopeia) is where you want to be. This is Alpheratz. You should see some more bright stars leading out to the left from that one. Skip down to the second in the line which is Mirach. Now at right angles towards Cassiopeia you should see another bright star nearby, with a third, not as bright, about the same distance away again. With the naked eye, M31 appears to be right next to that third star.

James

James, I have looked at Cassiopeia many times, but I was under the impression that M31 was closer to the Pleiades than Cassiopeia...

Have I been looking in the wrong place? haha I probably am knowing myself ;)

M31 is not far from Cassiopeia at all, so you could well be looking in the wrong place. M33 is closer to the Pleiades than M31, but even then it's probably not closer than it is to Cassiopeia.

James

Okay, I now know where to look, haha.

I just went ou in my garden to see if I could spot M31, but I think I may or may not have seen it. I looked at the third start of Cassiopeia and looked directly left to the brightest star Mirach. I then looked instantly right of Mirach and found another star.

After looking at Stellarium to confirm my findings, I think I may have been looking at the star that is closest to Mirach (μ And) and not M31 itself... I will try again tomorrow if this is the case.

Thank you, James!

Found it!!!

Tonight is a beauty of a night, with no moon and dark skies (well as dark as it can be, light pollution permitting!). After marveling at M42 and Orions Belt just above it, and my eyes had adjusted I decided to look for M31; Andromeda Galaxy. I started by looking at Cassiopeia and using Stellarium I had planned out how I could find this elusive gem. I looked at the fourth star of the sideways 'W' or 'M' and found Mirach, and the Alpheratz. After I found the two closest bright stars to Mirach, u And and a And, and what do I see? A smudge bellow 'a And'... Instantaneously I knew what I were looking at was M31.

I was and still am amazed at seeing a GALAXY from our Earth, with 40x50 Binoculars... Even if all I could see notably was a smudge of light in the darkness. I am very excited to buy my first scope now, as I know that I will be able to see even more wonders of the universe, and maybe, just maybe see M31 as it should look (or at least its core, haha).

Overwhelmed with how beautiful the sky is on a lovely clear and moonless night; eve with light pollution! I tried taking some pictures for stacking in registax with my camera but it simply is not good enough for DSO imaging at the mo'.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and clear skies!

Found it!!!

Tonight is a beauty of a night, with no moon and dark skies (well as dark as it can be, light pollution permitting!). After marveling at M42 and Orions Belt just above it, and my eyes had adjusted I decided to look for M31; Andromeda Galaxy. I started by looking at Cassiopeia and using Stellarium I had planned out how I could find this elusive gem. I looked at the fourth star of the sideways 'W' or 'M' and found Mirach, and the Alpheratz. After I found the two closest bright stars to Mirach, u And and a And, and what do I see? A smudge bellow 'a And'... Instantaneously I knew what I were looking at was M31.

I was and still am amazed at seeing a GALAXY from our Earth, with 40x50 Binoculars... Even if all I could see notably was a smudge of light in the darkness. I am very excited to buy my first scope now, as I know that I will be able to see even more wonders of the universe, and maybe, just maybe see M31 as it should look (or at least its core, haha).

Overwhelmed with how beautiful the sky is on a lovely clear and moonless night; eve with light pollution! I tried taking some pictures for stacking in registax with my camera but it simply is not good enough for DSO imaging at the mo'.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and clear skies!

I was also looking for my first view of the Andromeda Galaxy, I also used 10x50 bins and found it yesterday :) I live in London as well and can see quite a lot of stars on a really clear night.

Archived