Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BackyardEOS or APT?

Catweazel

Hi,

I am considering having another go at AP, but have limited myself to single long exposure shots in the past, with limited success. Being a bit of a technophobe, I have avoided the somewhat complicated looking (to me anyway) software until now, but wondered which one out of BackyardEOS and APT other forum members prefered. Also, if possible, an honest view of how easy/difficult they are to use for the technically challenged :rolleyes: Thanks. CW

Just downloaded both and ran some tests with my Canon....first impressions are that BackyardEOS is the better option for me with my 450D, however I am in contact with the writer to see if it's possible to use Backyard with Webcams, as I think that would be very useful all, afteral, not everyone has a Canon or can afford one.

both are very well regarded in the astro community. you dont really need either to give atrophotography a go, at the moment i use the software that came with my canon camera to inspect images immediately for focus ect.. and a programmable release shutter for the length of exposure.

but i will probably in the future try one of the mentioned programmes.

• 7 years later...

Backyard EOS is good if you only use Canon SLRs. I have both BYE and APT but APT does so much more, and if you ever progress to a webcam or an astro-specific camera (ZWO, ATIC, etc) or get a filter wheel, focuser etc., then APT is your man.

APT is chock-full of features and interfaces to other devices. Pay the €18 for APT, and the interfaces to Stellarium, plate solving, PHD2 autoguiding, etc. are all free. It's well worth getting used to it, it's very easy to use after a few sessions.

I tried both when I was starting out and while BY EOS is a great bit of software and was at first use the more intuitive I find APT the more complete package and not hard at all to get to grips with with a huge amount of valuable features. 
As others have said if you stick to the hobby and you happen to transition to a dedicated Astro cam you already know the software. 
APT is free but at about £18 for the full version @yoda is practically giving it away. As a member on here once asked “what do I get for paying for APT” I said what don’t you get for your £18 !

Dan. 

• Like 1