NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good tripod for bins?

jon1000

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could gave any advice on a good tripod for some bins?

I am getting 15x70 or 20x80 bins and need a decent tripod, one that is quite tall so i dont have to bend to much when looking up into the sky.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I use with my 20x80 bins and it handles the weight with no problems http://www.firstligh...uty-tripod.html

I just got this tripod on Saturday and it is very stable. I had my 15x70 Strathspeys attached to it all night and all day on Sunday and no problems at all...well apart from all the rain and cloud!! :mad:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could gave any advice on a good tripod for some bins?
Unless you use a parallelogram mount or some other device to hold the binocular away from the tripod, IMO there is no such thing as a "good" tripod for straight-through binoculars for astronomy use unless your target objects remain within a few degrees of the horizon. Sooner or later your legs and the binocular legs will be vying for the same chunk of spacetime, and your neck will get very stiff because you can't get a seat /recliner close enough to the mounted binocular to enable you to observe high objects with anything approaching comfort (yet another set of legs competing for the same bit of spacetime!). Some tripods are less frustrating than others, but that's about as far as it goes.

Cheapest viable alternative (and it is very viable for a 15x70 or 20x80) is some species of monopod, preferably with a trigger-grip ball-head.

Cheapest viable alternative (and it is very viable for a 15x70 or 20x80) is some species of monopod, preferably with a trigger-grip ball-head.

Hi Steve

Are there any monopods that you would recommend? I'm about 6' so I would like to avoid bending..... wouldn't we all!

I've got a bog standard tripod, which is ok with my folding patio chair, for short periods. I've also got one of those 'neckpods' which is ok up to about 45 degrees of elevation, but I have considered a mono too, and would be grateful if you or anybody else has any first-hand experience of the beasts?

Thanks

Rob :smiley:

@Rob: Wherever possible, I observe seated with straight-through bins, so monopod height isn't usually an issue. The monopod I have is this "el cheapo" one, with this trigger grip ball head on top of it. I'm a about 178cm and I find it adequate for standing use for objects up to about 45* above the horizon, although I rarely use it like this. The whole caboodle is just over 190cm, and the L-bracket raises the eyepieces (with binocular in horizontal position) a few cm more. Of course, if you are trying to observe the zenith, the trigger-grip will be horizontal and the binocular eyepieces will be less than 170cm from the ground. If you are determined to do high altitude standing observation with a straight-through binocular, you'll need a longer monopod (the only ones I have seen are very expensive) and, sooner or later, the contact details of a good physiotherapist.

You also need to know that most monopods have a 1/4" screw, but most trigger-grips have a 3/8" socket, so you will almost certainly need an adaptor (they are dirt cheap -- less than a quid if you shop around).

Some more detail on my web site (click banner in sig to go there).

@tetenterre: Thanks Steve, that's very helpful info and advice.

I need to stand because my rear garden is quite small and enclosed by 6ft fences, trees and neighbour's houses. My viewing starts at around +25 degrees if I'm standing but around +50 when seated, so I might give the mono a bash and see how I get on?

I also like the trigger grip you demo'd on your site, that looks very practical too. Very good site by the way. I've had a few looks since I joined and there's a lot of good stuff on there. :smiley:

Maybe what I really need is one of those umpire's chairs that they use at Wimbledon? That might solve the problem....

post-20706-0-77627300-1354220830_thumb.j

Mind you, I'd then want electric panning, maybe electric tilting too, and a built in flask holder. Mmm... where's my toolkit! :grin:

Watched the "Sky at Night" last night and there reccomendation for a steady for binoculars is to turn a broom upside down so you rest on the bristle end.....

OK for kids, but at about 5'11" I would need one massive broom ;)

I found the roof of our car very useful on campsites (it's a Renault Espace, so ample support high up).

Archived