Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

hi

does the weight of an epoxy drop move the golden wire at all?

how did you apply the epoxy?

cheers

Alistair

Not at all. Epoxy just seeps between the wires and fill the empty space.

I used wooden toothpick with the sharpened tip.

• Like 1

No sensor damage from removing some of the CFA :) But I need to set manual exposure as the auto mode has produced a saturated image where the CFA is off. Unfortunately the battery is flat now :(

post-13131-0-97335800-1376580295_thumb.j post-13131-0-60759200-1376580872_thumb.j

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2

You were right James - the glue went up to the edge of the sensor but not far enough over the edge of it to cover the tops of the tiny pads and rising wire. So I've added a bit more and made sure this time.

post-13131-0-21892900-1376589056_thumb.j

• Like 1

Got some charge in the 350D battery so have taken a couple more photos to check the sensor with low enough exposure to show some detail in the part with the CFA removed. Unfortunately, without live view I'm finding it hard to get the focus right. Without the filter the auto-focus is way out and useless.

post-13131-0-22579400-1376596648_thumb.j post-13131-0-93869200-1376596656_thumb.j

• Like 1

Got some charge in the 350D battery so have taken a couple more photos to check the sensor with low enough exposure to show some detail in the part with the CFA removed. Unfortunately, without live view I'm finding it hard to get the focus right. Without the filter the auto-focus is way out and useless.

post-13131-0-22579400-1376596648_thumb.j post-13131-0-93869200-1376596656_thumb.j

That's really good progress Gina. However, you might find that removing the CFA in the 1100D may be much harder but if successful... what a camera have you got in your hands! The 350D seems to be a good candidate for a near 100% successfull mod, though. Waiting for my butane pencil torch to have a go at the 350D with the solvent.

Edited by pixueto

Sh*t! Another expensive mistake! I managed to kill my 450d sensor somehow... :sad: :sad:

Most probable cause was too deep cut while trying to remove CFA leftovers around the edge. Wooden scraper was of no help, so I decided to add just a small drop of Xerapol plastic polish and try with that. Yes, that removed CFA but obviously also some critical layer underneath :tongue:

Biggest mistake was that I applied polish paste to my wooden scraper, that cut it too deep too fast. I should have gone with polish paste applied to soft lint free paper and gentle rubbing the whole sensor area...

I tried that method afterwards and I think that will clean the sensor very nice and in a very uniform fashion. Epoxied wires are essential for this because you can treat the sensor with much less mental stress :)

I have one more sensor (and another one in my everyday camera :grin: ), I must try my luck again :cool:

Fingers crossed for all CFA scrapers :)

That's really good progress Gina. However, you might find that removing the CFA in the 1100D may be much harder but if successful... what a camera have you got in your hands! The 350D seems to be a good candidate for a near 100% successfull mod, though. Waiting for my butane pencil torch to have a go at the 350D with the solvent.

Thank you :) I have already removed the CFA on a non-working 1100D sensor and it came off quite easily. Unfortunately the copper tool was rather rough and I got some scratches but had no way of knowing if these were deep enough to destroy the sensor or possible even unnoticeable for imaging. I have since improved the copper tool though I'm still not really satisfied with it. It seems to be working alright though. Edited by Gina

Sh*t! Another expensive mistake! I managed to kill my 450d sensor somehow... :sad: :sad:

Most probable cause was too deep cut while trying to remove CFA leftovers around the edge. Wooden scraper was of no help, so I decided to add just a small drop of Xerapol plastic polish and try with that. Yes, that removed CFA but obviously also some critical layer underneath :tongue:

Biggest mistake was that I applied polish paste to my wooden scraper, that cut it too deep too fast. I should have gone with polish paste applied to soft lint free paper and gentle rubbing the whole sensor area...

I tried that method afterwards and I think that will clean the sensor very nice and in a very uniform fashion. Epoxied wires are essential for this because you can treat the sensor with much less mental stress :)

I have one more sensor (and another one in my everyday camera :grin: ), I must try my luck again :cool:

My commiserations - that's bad luck. Don't get too hooked on this and go further than you can afford - I know how that can be only too well :D OTOH each time you gain more experience and hopefully your next go will be a success :)

Thank you :)

Far TOO much! :( The cheapest way (that I've found) of getting a sensor is to buy a used body off ebay. I got my 350D for £65 and I've seen several around £70. I got my 1100D bodies as "Buy it now" rather than auction, as Canon refurbished bodies at around £200. As I recall, 1100D replacement sensors cost around £250.

I'm sorry to hear that Filip,

I know how you feel, it's a big frustration when that happens afther a wole lot of work...I also killed my second 350D sensor, not quite sure how...:(

But I'll have another try or two, I have some very good friends that are willing to sacrifice theyr old 350D for me to try and debayer them, I have at least two more shots :)

Best of luck to you,

Cheers,

It's hard work, isn't it Gina? :)

But you are getting there, still a lot of cleaning to do but hey put some classic music on and relax ;)

Best of luck with that, looking forward to see "first light" ;)

Cheers,

Certainly is Luis!!! A big strain on the nerves :(

Well... I seemed to be getting there but something seems to have gone wrong I think I may be joining the ranks of the "Frustrated Failures" :( :(

Latest test shots show some totally black and these :-

post-13131-0-57658500-1376645681_thumb.j post-13131-0-10293800-1376645683_thumb.j

Certainly is Luis!!! A big strain on the nerves :(

Well... I seemed to be getting there but something seems to have gone wrong I think I may be joining the ranks of the "Frustrated Failures" :( :(

Latest test shots show some totally black and these :-

post-13131-0-57658500-1376645681_thumb.j post-13131-0-10293800-1376645683_thumb.j

Oh no....I'm so sorry Gina :(

I guess it happened the same as to me, maybe a litlle to deep scratch or something, but hey you must be ready fot that, don't let that get to you :)

This is part of learning, I guess I was just lucky with my first sensor, yesterday I disassembled the camera agaian, clean the bigger bits of remaing CFA and sealed the sensor with hot glue to prevent from moisture build up when cooling it, first tests look promissing and fortunelly the sensor is still running...phew!!! :tongue:

Cheers,