NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

Certainly is Luis!!! A big strain on the nerves :(

Well... I seemed to be getting there but something seems to have gone wrong I think I may be joining the ranks of the "Frustrated Failures" :( :(

Latest test shots show some totally black and these :-

post-13131-0-57658500-1376645681_thumb.j post-13131-0-10293800-1376645683_thumb.j

I did something similar the other day to this panny sensor, normally taking the glass off is straightforward if you are careful but I was too complacent and pulled too hard and ripped part of the ribbon servicing the sensor. All the small connections are under a ribbon covered with glue out of harms way. The result was a partially working half sensor with no blue channel so I decided to see how far I could go before I removed the photosensors - notice the burnt out hole in the centre

I used autosol on a cotton bud to do this, was quite quick and easy, toothpaste gives a finer abrasion, I'll have another go if I can pick up a cheap second hand body

Here is the final outcome before I 90% killed it, still just hanging on in there - I did the work in situ with the sensor attached to the camera, polishing the sensor through the bayonet, got fed up rebuilding the camera after each attempt

post-9935-0-85484800-1376647573_thumb.pn

post-9935-0-85213400-1376647486_thumb.pn

post-9935-0-22701300-1376647495_thumb.pn

It's barely consolation I know, but those cameras that have been turned into expensive paperweights might at least become donors for a DSLR lens to CCD camera adaptor project, I guess :(

James

I knew this was going to be a risk but I needed one more try to see how far I could push things so I'm confident that the next one will be better - at least I have plenty of spare parts so only need to look out for a damaged camera on ebay going for a cheap price, I've taken the glass off 4 times and this last one was the only one I damaged through being careless

I'll reply to all your posts shortly but TBH I can't see anything wrong with the sensor. It could be that a connector wasn't perfectly fitted or something. I've stripped the camera down again and taken some more photos of the sensor at the highest magnification I can manage ATM and also examined the sensor under the magnifier. The epoxy well covers the wires and all seems well there. I can't see any scratches either.

Here are the four corners of the sensor covering all the wires and all the surface, stretched and sharpened in Ps :-

post-13131-0-70677700-1376649973_thumb.j post-13131-0-03130200-1376649980_thumb.j post-13131-0-21620400-1376649984_thumb.j post-13131-0-14540200-1376649988_thumb.j

Edited by Gina

I'll reply to all your posts shortly but TBH I can't see anything wrong with the sensor. It could be that a connector wasn't perfectly fitted or something. I've stripped the camera down again and taken some more photos of the sensor at the highest magnification I can manage ATM and also examined the sensor under the magnifier. The epoxy well covers the wires and all seems well there. I can't see any scratches either.

Here are the four corners of the sensor covering all the wires and all the surface, stretched and sharpened in Ps :-

post-13131-0-70677700-1376649973_thumb.j post-13131-0-03130200-1376649980_thumb.j post-13131-0-21620400-1376649984_thumb.j post-13131-0-14540200-1376649988_thumb.j

Could it be due to static discharge on the sensor, were you using an anti static strap? I'm not sure if that would damage the sensor tough...:/

I can't see any obvious damage either Gina. There are some bits of what appear to be fine wire or thread on top of the epoxy. What are they? Perhaps it just needs a good squirt with compressed air or something to make sure any little bits of CFA are dislodged and reassembling?

James

Could it be due to static discharge on the sensor, were you using an anti static strap? I'm not sure if that would damage the sensor tough...:/

I don't think it's taht as I hold the metal frame the steady the camera while I do things like fitting the sensor, and putting screws and connectors back.

I can't see any obvious damage either Gina. There are some bits of what appear to be fine wire or thread on top of the epoxy. What are they? Perhaps it just needs a good squirt with compressed air or something to make sure any little bits of CFA are dislodged and reassembling?

James

They're bits of thread of the cotton bud I used to clean off the bits of CFA - they've gone now.

Only thing I can see is on the 4th image. The golden strip around the edge of the sensor looks a little ragged. It may just be CFA lying on top of it which is giving that appearance though.

Thank you :) I've cleaned the sensor off again and taken another photo.

post-13131-0-32258600-1376651858_thumb.j

I'm just wondering if that's a tiny chip out of the edge. If it is and that is the problem then I think the epoxy needs to go all round and up over the edge of the sensor. Clearly that edge is very fragile and needs protecting.

Anyway, I'm going to put it all back together and see.

Edited by Gina

Oh no....I'm so sorry Gina :(

I guess it happened the same as to me, maybe a litlle to deep scratch or something, but hey you must be ready fot that, don't let that get to you :)

This is part of learning, I guess I was just lucky with my first sensor, yesterday I disassembled the camera agaian, clean the bigger bits of remaing CFA and sealed the sensor with hot glue to prevent from moisture build up when cooling it, first tests look promissing and fortunelly the sensor is still running...phew!!! :tongue:

Cheers,

Thank you Luis :) If this sensor is destroyed I've only wasted £65 in the pursuit of knowledge and considering what university students have to pay nowadays in this country for their education, it's a drop in the ocean. Not quite that for me though :D Still as you say, I more than half expected it and if the knowledge enables me to debayer an 1100D sensor successfully, it will be money well spent :)

Thank you :) I've cleaned the sensor off again and taken another photo.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps one of the gold wires was still sticking out of the epoxy and got nicked during scraping.

If it still doesn't work I might be tempted to try to pick up a dead 350D from ebay (surely they can't be much more than £10?), remove the sensor and see if it works in your camera, and if it does have another go. In fact if you (or anyone else UK-based, I guess) fancy trying that, let me know and perhaps we can work out splitting the cost and I'll have the bayonet fittings from the gutted camera. Let's hope it doesn't get that far though.

James

Gina, I'm so sorry :(

Yes, this is expensive sport, but I don't want to give up until I finish one functional BW camera. I feel that you think the same :D

I just removed cover glass from new 450D sensor candidate, so here we go again. Wish me luck ;)

Btw. I think I know what possibly kills our sensors. On the edge of shorter side of sensor, under the blue mask there is some circuitry visible (thru clear "window").

I think that part is very sensitive and should be avoid when scraping. My sensor was ok until I wiped few times with polish paste over that very area.

• Like 1

Dear all,

Has it occurred to you that it may be the epoxy itself the responsible for the malfunction? Am I right thinking that all the working sensors after being debayered in this forum (totally or partially) don't have epoxy over the golden connectors?

Yes, this is expensive sport, but I don't want to give up until I finish one functional BW camera. I feel that you think the same :D

I just removed cover glass from new 450D sensor candidate, so here we go again. Wish me luck ;)

Btw. I think I know what possibly kills our sensors. On the edge of shorter side of sensor, under the blue mask there is some circuitry visible (thru clear "window").

I think that part is very sensitive and should be avoid when scraping. My sensor was ok until I wiped few times with polish paste over that very area.

Hi Filip,

Glad you bring that point out, I think you are right, I remember on my working sensor I didn't touch the sides I was extra carefull with this because I didn't know if sracping the sides would damage something, on my failed attempt though if I remember correctly I made a few passes on the sides, thinking it was ok...seems not!

Next time don't even breathe when working on the sides...like working near the wires wasn't nervewrackig enought...$%&%$#$

Dear all,

Has it occurred to you that it may be the epoxy itself the responsible for the malfunction? Am I right thinking that all the working sensors after being debayered in this forum (totally or partially) don't have epoxy over the golden connectors?

My sensor was working great until I tried to remove small leftovers of CFA. I don't think epoxy can cause any damage.

My dead sensor. I was working on the left edge, scraping and polishing near and on that blue layer and that killed it.

(ignore the fingerprints)

IMG_9169_s.jpg

Full size image, if anyone is interested:

https://dl.dropboxus...ke/IMG_9169.jpg

Left side of sensor with something sensitive:

IMG_9167.jpg

Your sensor is very clean!

How did you manage to avoid leaving scratches?

Latest... Still dead after reassembling - anyone want a 350D body with dead sensor?? :D

Bottom line - scraping the edge of the sensor killed it! :) All was well with removing CFA until I went over the short edge. Remedy for next try - epoxy over the short edges up to the sensor imaging area or even a little bit more to be sure.

Thank you - and yes, you're right :) I'm bidding for a duff 1100D :D I fully intend to crack this! :) I don't give up easily!!
Indeed I do - good luck :)

Yes indeed - that's what I think too :)

My dead sensor. I was working on the left edge, scraping and polishing near and on that blue layer and that killed it.

(ignore the fingerprints)

IMG_9169_s.jpg

Full size image, if anyone is interested:

https://dl.dropboxus...ke/IMG_9169.jpg

Left side of sensor with something sensitive:

IMG_9167.jpg

Case closed Filip,

That's it...there is definitely something on the left side we need to be aware, I think it's preferable to end up with a bit af CFA on that area and then crop the image then to risk killing the sensor just to make 100% clean...lesson learned :)

Nice going Filip ;)

Cheers,

Latest... Still dead after reassembling - anyone want a 350D body with dead sensor?? :D

Bottom line - scraping the edge of the sensor killed it! :) All was well with removing CFA until I went over the short edge. Remedy for next try - epoxy over the short edges up to the sensor imaging area or even a little bit more to be sure.

I'd be pleased to have the bayonet fitting etc. from the 350D body if it's just going to go in the bin, Gina. Happy to pay postage and so on. If someone else can use the entire thing I'd prefer to see less of it wasted though. Having to throw away a camera that's mostly functional is a little galling :(

Putting epoxy on the short edges as well seems like a good plan.

James