Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 22.10.12 C11 SPC

AztecastroMcJ

So clear sky's here in Glasgow last night, :grin: had scope out to cool for 2hrs and did collimation tweak for 1hr,

the corrector dews very quickly without dew shield or strap so i got collimation better but prob not perfect

i did collimation using SPC webcam without barlow, then added 2.5x barlow and did another tweak

then got hairdryer out on full blast for 5-10m got corrector clear again, then finally got few Jupiter captures

just processed this one so far but definetly big improvement on last effort

i forgot to crop 1st stack, and used different colour balance and more AP'S on 2nd stack,

and stacked 200 less frames, but used same wavelets reg 6

think 2nd pic looks better ?

craterlet>as!2>reg6 more details on pics

C11,2.5x Barlow, SPC900

uploaded tif aswell if anyone fancy's a process

i used 10 and 18 AP's in AS!2, is this about right or should i be using more or less ?

James

post-4203-0-46790100-1350890002_thumb.jp

post-4203-0-80869500-1350890027_thumb.jp

Cratlerlet_Capture_0003_g3_b3_ap18.tif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a difference! Super images James you must be well pleased with those!

Have you tried 1.5x drizzle as the high level of detail looks like drizzle would work well. I usually use box size 50 giving 40-50 alignment points.

You've got the C11 singing now!

thx Nick, Karlo, Neil for comments

Neil, other than obvious better collimation and seeing, the extra smoothness may be settings i used when capturing ?

was using less gain with brighter exp, 1/33 exp with 50% gain rather than 1/50 and 70% gain

i used linked wavelets in reg6 sliders 1 and 6 and used some denoise (0.20) on them aswell

cheers

James

What a difference! Super images James you must be well pleased with those!

Have you tried 1.5x drizzle as the high level of detail looks like drizzle would work well. I usually use box size 50 giving 40-50 alignment points.

You've got the C11 singing now!

cheers Stuart thx for comments :)

will give drizzle a try, and thx for info on AP's, will try adding some more

yep im pleased for now, i knew with avi live feed these were much better, could see good details in both N and S belts

hopefully get few more posted up later

James

cheers Stuart thx for comments :)

will give drizzle a try, and thx for info on AP's, will try adding some more

yep im pleased for now, i knew with avi live feed these were much better, could see good details in both N and S belts

hopefully get few more posted up later

James

Can't improve on your image James but I'd love a crack at a drizzle version. Sometimes alignment cracks can appear if you use too many points with drizzle but with good seeing 40-50 should be ok.

thx Nick, Karlo, Neil for comments

Neil, other than obvious better collimation and seeing, the extra smoothness may be settings i used when capturing ?

was using less gain with brighter exp, 1/33 exp with 50% gain rather than 1/50 and 70% gain

i used linked wavelets in reg6 sliders 1 and 6 and used some denoise (0.20) on them aswell

cheers

James

Hi James yes makes sense.Noise is a real killer of any quality images. So you did right to go from 1/50th to 1/33 secs exp. Though of course under poorer seeing it will be harder to get sharp frames at 1/33. I think the spc is letting your side down. Mainly because with a higher frame rate camera you can get 3x times as many frames at 1/33 secs. giving you both more sharp frames to stack. and a smoother image. because of the higher stack size.

It seems to me the problems you had were more easily sorted than i at first thought they would be. But it just goes to show, what better cooldown, better collimation, less noisy camera settings. and better seeing can all do to improve ones images. Others on here that have similar problems should take note of this thread. I think Stuart is right to apply some more noise control, as the images are a tad still noisy. But processing can play a big part on that. And often its a case of tweaking your processing. to get everything you want out of the images. Having said that, your new camera should Sort the slight noise you do have left by capturing many more frames. If your interested and you would like to see how others may process your data. Post up a couple of raw stacks. Would be interesting to you maybe. To see what processing ( not just the other issues youve recently addressed ) Can do to change the appearance of processed images. Its great when i see someone going in the right direction. And youve done that fast. But dont think you can not go much further. you may just end up with a image that will surprise you even more. By constantly improving what your doing. Your camera will be a big start. But dont get lazy with the cooldown and Collimation James as you improve. its all critical. Something i bang on about on here constantly.

You've really nailed the detail in those James. That 150% drizzle image is terrific! There can't be many spc Jupiter shots better than these.

thx again Stuart and thx for process, still pretty pleased with these today :)

mmmm, friend/contact on flickr who posts on CN has some very impressive results with SPC and C8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zamb0ni/8040001454/in/photostream

Hi James yes makes sense.Noise is a real killer of any quality images. So you did right to go from 1/50th to 1/33 secs exp. Though of course under poorer seeing it will be harder to get sharp frames at 1/33. I think the spc is letting your side down. Mainly because with a higher frame rate camera you can get 3x times as many frames at 1/33 secs. giving you both more sharp frames to stack. and a smoother image. because of the higher stack size.

It seems to me the problems you had were more easily sorted than i at first thought they would be. But it just goes to show, what better cooldown, better collimation, less noisy camera settings. and better seeing can all do to improve ones images. Others on here that have similar problems should take note of this thread. I think Stuart is right to apply some more noise control, as the images are a tad still noisy. But processing can play a big part on that. And often its a case of tweaking your processing. to get everything you want out of the images. Having said that, your new camera should Sort the slight noise you do have left by capturing many more frames. If your interested and you would like to see how others may process your data. Post up a couple of raw stacks. Would be interesting to you maybe. To see what processing ( not just the other issues youve recently addressed ) Can do to change the appearance of processed images. Its great when i see someone going in the right direction. And youve done that fast. But dont think you can not go much further. you may just end up with a image that will surprise you even more. By constantly improving what your doing. Your camera will be a big start. But dont get lazy with the cooldown and Collimation James as you improve. its all critical. Something i bang on about on here constantly.

many thx for all input and tips advice again Neil, appreciated :)

heres couple of raw tifs for you and anyone else who fancy's process, think these are bit better than one above

going to start new post with results i have,

but would be great to see what you or others can come up with

1st is at slightly longer focal length than above @100%

2nd is drizzle 1.5 on different capture so 150% size

James

Cratlerlet_Capture_0007_g3_b3_ap24.tif

Drizzle15_Cratlerlet_Capture_0009_g3_b3_ap24.tif

thx again Stuart and thx for process, still pretty pleased with these today :)

mmmm, friend/contact on flickr who posts on CN has some very impressive results with SPC and C8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zamb0ni/8040001454/in/photostream

Yep those are very good images. In good seeing the spc can produce remarkable results. People have been complaining about prices on ebay but its still best value for money cam out there by a long way.

I had a go at your image James, but apart from the noise levels. I didnt really get anymore out of it than you have. If i had done slight noise reduction on your images the way stuart has. then the result is as good . As such i didnt see the point in posting. if you can control the noise a little more. your processing is fine. I wasnt sure if that was the case untill i tried. But thats my thoughts.

Though ill post something up if i can spend more time on it, if i feel ive improved.

cheers Neil, did few tweaks on last tifs i uploaded ,

prob gone bit ott tho as pushed wavelets more than last drizzle i did

was trying to get bit more contrast/colour and enhance detail a bit, prob not as natural, so not sure i like, def prefer drizzle versions tho as prefer larger scale

post-4203-0-23929100-1351102189_thumb.jp

post-4203-0-35776500-1351102221_thumb.jp

post-4203-0-73388900-1351102233_thumb.jp

I agree with Stuart James, detail is good, but noise is your enemy. When processing think in terms of natural gas cloud texture. If you keep thinking that all along, it will guide your sharpening. The data is great. just keep experimenting. to hit that magic texture between detail and smoothness.

Also be careful of trying too strong noise reduction. sometimes its better not to introduce the noise too much to start with. rather than to cure it. But every image is different. and sometimes even that works done well. Your eye for detail is good. now try switching it around. for natural, and see what happens. That i would find interesting. Hope the advice actually is helping

Archived