Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The 'Planner' says yes!

Slim

So the Boss has finally given me the go ahead to build and obsy in the back garden. Planning a roll off roof metal shed design with a wooden frame internally. I'll try and keep this thread updated with pics and build progress. I'm sure there will be lots of questions along the way but I get the feeling I'm in the right place to have them answered! I'm using Bizibilder's excellent and very funny blog as a guide http://bizibilder.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2010-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=50 but will be using tips I have picked up from reading all sorts of build reports around the web.

So onto my first question, what's the best place to get hold of a 10" diameter pipe to form the concrete :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just be aware of the condensation a metal structure can generate, there may be ways of stopping it, but nothing i can suggest..anyway well done with the Boss's planning permission that the main obstruction out of the way....and good luck....

So onto my first question, what's the best place to get hold of a 10" diameter pipe to form the concrete :)

Try flea-bay, others have got ventilation ducting to cast concrete pier into...

Good luck with the build

Thanks Chris. I've found a couple of places that do it. I'm thinking that 8" is probably going to be enough but a bit concerned that 1.5 m is not long enough.

The listing is for 2 pieces of 1.5 metres each. They also sell the connector pieces. I was wondering if it was OK to use one connector, cut the 2nd piece to the required length and then fill with concrete...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261112363425?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The listing is for 2 pieces of 1.5 metres each. They also sell the connector pieces. I was wondering if it was OK to use one connector, cut the 2nd piece to the required length and then fill with concrete...

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Didn't spot the 'two of'. That's a decent price for two. Can't see it being a problem to use a connector piece but others with more experience might be better placed to answer that.

This is probably one of the most worrying things I have ever done. There are so many mixed messages out there and the thought of making an error and screwing it up is all to real! I've seen various people say that two plates are not needed and a single plate that the mount attaches to mounted on m12 bar secured in the concrete pier is adequate. Has anyone got any thoughts on that? Also, pier adapters for the NEQ6 seem to be few and far between. Altair astro and ebay are the only ones I have found, does anyone know of any others?

No. I don't think so. Can get postal tubes though - that's what I used to hold the concrete of my pier while it set.

Oh, I didn't know that. That somewhat makes it difficult to form exactly the diameter you want, looking for the right size pipe material.

But I'm sure concrete forming tubes must be available through some source as construction contractors use them all the time, I would assume?

• 2 months later...

So after literally no more activity on the obsy front other than lots more thinking, largely as a result of the appallingly wet weather I have finally ordered my shed. It's an 8x7 metal yard master and should be with me in a couple of weeks! Not sure I will get anything more done until the weather improves but wanted to get a shed in the sales. I have been working on a design in a cracking bit of free CAD software called Google Sketchup. Here's what I've got so far.

observatory_zpse356a79d.jpg

As you can see the supports for the roof will actually attach to the gable end of our kitchen extension meaning I don't need any support posts. Fingers crossed for drier weather so I can't start digging!

Just be aware of the condensation a metal structure can generate, there may be ways of stopping it, but nothing i can suggest..anyway well done with the Boss's planning permission that the main obstruction out of the way....and good luck....

See my observatory website for details of how I constructed my metal shed observatory. I've never experienced problems with condensation.

http://www.almiraobservatory.co.uk/

Is the far side of the shed against your house wall?

If so youwill need to sort the roof drainage or you will have dampness on the inside of your house wall.

After all it does rain here sometimes.

Otherwise looks good!

No, the end of the house is where the roof supports attach.

• 3 weeks later...

So the shed was finally delivered on Friday. I had planned to get the pier all done before it arrived but with all the wet and snowy weather this weekend has been the first chance I got! So spent an hour and a half in the garden this afternoon starting on the whole. Soil seems reasonably easy to dig out and another couple of hours next weekend should see it finished.

D1726776-CBDF-4D85-8943-325863373ABC-1174-0000007317301FAD.jpg

• 6 months later...

I can't believe its been six months since the shed was delivered! And I've finally got off my backside and done some work. Plans have changed, obsy now in different position but otherwise the same idea.

Lawn and three inches of topsoil removed for the concrete shed foundation.

69f2d18a4c98477cd43863f907411193.jpg

Hole dug, shuttering in place and three inches of ballast put down ready for concrete.

660934fefeb75262562fcc4a872e7c5e.jpg

Couple of lengths of rebar across hole to sit the spiral ducting pipe on to get the right height and ensure concrete pier and footing is one entity.

b336951d549353dc06f28da8e723556d.jpg

Ducting in situ and ready for the pour!

3407f0f13fb48c045edc6c3d6ac8a96b.jpg

Close up shot of the method by which we kept the pier in the correct position. Was very successful. Only one more mixer full of concrete to go!

1f6cf3ddba1b7894dbd829cef343dccf.jpg

Rain was forecast so my wife came up with the cracking idea to use a gazebo to keep the rain off the area, will also be good to keep the direct sun off that I'd forecast tomorrow!

b60201e3ba9a469016f0f891af9f5ddf.jpg

A days work is done!

fafcbc7523c4fe2fba9766e4435f6999.jpg

Should get the concrete poured for the shed floor tomorrow and then have Thursday and Friday off work to make sure I can get the shed up and finished.

Have to say a huge thanks to my dad who spent a god seven hours helping out today and lending his huge experience. Would have been much more difficult with out him. Cheers dad.

Archived