NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fluctuations

Andrew*

I've had many emotional ups and downs recently as far as astronomy is concerned. I'm going to list them as they come to mind! I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is... maybe just to let it off my chest.

The Negatives:

- I've been mighty p*ssed off at this year's weather, and doubting the real value of all my equipment if it's only getting used a few times a year

- My bank balance has suddenly dropped following purchases I didn't intend (not all astronomy related). This really lowered my mood, as financial insecurity always incurs guilt.

- I find myself with tons of expensive kit, which is not quick and easy to set up. Often several trips are required. This makes me doubt how often they will be used. I suddenly wonder whether I've gone overboard with the HEQ5 and if I should have opted for a big dob...

- I am tired almost every night and often don't bother to check the weather as it will just depress me. If it's sparkling clear I won't go out anyway cos if I'm not shattered already I will be at 7 in the morning when I have to get up. Also, I'm on night-time responsibility, which means I have to be in most nights of the week.

- I have a busy life ahead of me - even less time for the universe...

The Positives:

- the realisation that now that I have a quality motorised mount, finally the dream of astrophotography can come true. I was looking at some imaging threads today, and I realised that very soon I may be making similar threads and eventually will experience winning the POW - an ultimate goal for me!

- In relation to the financial insecurity above, I now realise that the kit I have meets, and exceeds my requirements, and I should be able to re-generate a few hundred once I have decided which kit to keep.

- my ideas for the observatory project provide a big enthusiasm boost for me. With the obsy will come much more pleasant astronomy!

- the nights are drawing in. Astronomy can start at 6pm rather than 9pm.

- well... I've pretty well now got what I need for a lifetime of enjoyment. Even if I don't get out once for two years, that money's not wasted, nor is the universe going anywhere.

Well that's it!

In summary - My kit list has grown and perhaps overwhelmed me, but eventually this will be a good thing and I'll be able to enjoy it to the full.

cheers, and sorry! :oops:

CLEAR SKIES!!

Andrew

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been there Andrew several times :insects1: The guilt things seems to be part and parcel of the hobby for me. I only seem to be happy when i have a tiny sum invested.

Yes the weather has been carp and that really puts the pressure on. When the money is not exactly flowing and you have a 4 figure sum tied up in something that is used 4 times a year, that's a worry.

If you are having second thoughts now about financial investment in the hobby, i would steer well clear of the imaging........one huge endless money pit! Nothing is ever enough with imaging.

I think a couple of clear nights starting at 6pm will sort you out and put the ship back on an even keel. Normally works for me. So fingers crossed for some of those legendary Winter nights. :lol:

Russ

Hang in there mate.

When I got a bit stressed about spending all that money on gear, and hardly ever using it because of family and work commitments, and then to top it all the hassle of setup/take down and Rubbish weather, I did something I never thought I would do....................

I arranged a small STAR PARTY!!!!!!!!

I got about 30 close friends and their kids to come to my house, where we had loads of food and drink and I impressed them with my limited knowledge of the heavens. Thankfully it was clear, but to be honest I don't think it would of mattered! It wasn't expensive because everyone brought some food and drink with them to share. Two of my friends even purchased telescopes and bino's the week after.

Easy to arrange, dead cheap, good fun and rekindled my interest.

JV

Stargazing is a harsh mistress, no doubt about it. I've spent a good few quid this year and while I shudder to think where else it could have gone, it's done and that's that. Fact is, that for all the carp weather we've had this year and nominal observing/imaging time for everyone, the one night I had at Kelling more than made up for it.

Being a house husband means I'm up with my two boys every morning, no lie ins for me. The period between late May and Mid July is VERY frustrating for me (must be a nightmare for you!), hence the grab & go for those half hour quick looks. Life gets in the way somewhat, but there you go that's just how it is.

At the end if the day, if you want it enough, you'll do it and not have the guilt over kit/money. It's a balance that only you can find. Don't worry though, give it a while and you'll be looking at Mars through your ED100 and wonder what you was fussing over :lol:.

Tony..

I too have had my fair share of ups and downs and the best person to tell you about them would probably be my wife Kate who's had to put up with me... long periods with no observing and not being able to go to Kelling this autumn due to our imminent arrival left me pretty frustrated. Kate, bless her, let me go out pretty much everytime it was clear in the first 15 days of this month (6 nights!! :shock: ) and agreed to let me lie in and covered the childcare despite having a pretty tough pregnancy. Whilst not a full time house husband I've had to cope with Kate being away a lot this year and I've yet to learn how to cope with not being able to go out stargazing on a clear moonfree night because I've got my daughter to deal with.

Financially its been a good year for us, next year will not be anywhere near as good unfortunately but in terms of kit I've got more than I needed but less than I wanted. So long as Kate and the baby are well I'll survive the next few weeks observing drought.

Of course one of the big positives over the last year has been stumbling across an internet forum of people also into astronomy. One or two are a little mad, many I haven't yet met, most have a great sense of humour, one operates an astronomical retail outlet that has absorbed a lot of my spare cash :lol: but overall a great bunch of people. It makes it much easier to cope with the frustrations...

James

You can give me the gear back if you like, although the money's already spent unfortunately.

I had exactly the same misgivings when I lashed out silly money on the new CPC-800 and all the nonsense I've spent time and money on, but it almost completely disappeared the first time I got to use it in anger. Go out with a squad of guys, spend a few hours under the stars kicking ass with your new equipment and you'll feel much better.

I could have written an identical list! It is all so true.

All the plus points outweigh the negatives.

My biggest source for enthusiasm, (and thus keeping at it), is the knowledge that I enjoy it totally and that every year that passes is another year of learning and enjoyment under my belt.

Anthony

I think any hobby that you take seriously will cost a packet,always wanting better gear,i used to play golf(single handicapper)cost a fortune,i am a keen beach / shore fisherman,mega expensive too but the way i look at it is if you work a lot,save a lot and nobody is going short then you shouldn't feel guilty,and certainly not stressed,stress is when a younger member of your family decides life is too much for them and takes their own life and you are left to pick up the pieces,believe me that is stress.

I am not meaning to be heartless here but stress is a word used to often over what sometimes is something neither life threatening nor life changing,so try and relax,not easy sometimes i know but it will benefit you in the longrun.

Everyone stops at sometime or other, in order to take stock of where we are in our lives. I don't do it anymore, because at my age it would be a pointless exercise. All you have done Andrew, is behave in a responsible way. You realize how important money is, and the need to have it. The thing you have to avoid, is getting depressed over this, it would serve no purpose.

Of course you need to analyse your stock of gear, and carefully sift out for sale, that which is of no further use, and by doing so, replenish some of your depleted cash. Astronomy is a night pursuit, but if your job calls for night work also, then that has to take priority, especially if others are dependent on you. As you said yourself, you are still very young, the Cosmos will wait for you, so there is no rush.

Ron. :lol:

Don't get depressed Andrew - a few times out under the stars and it will all seem worth every penny. I bought my LX90 3 years ago and really fretted about the cost. Three years and 120 observing sessions later it seems a good buy. I feel I have had my money's woth and every observing session fromn now on seems almost free.

Things could be worse - you could have "Glasgow Weather" up there in Aberdeen.

Any time you are "down south" in Glasgow, there are some SGL members waiting to cheer you up.

Tom

If you are having second thoughts now about financial investment in the hobby, i would steer well clear of the imaging........one huge endless money pit! Nothing is ever enough with imaging.

Russ

Now you tell me :D

Astronomy is one of those hobbies that can take over your life and make you feel depressed if things don't go right. I got everything up and running and then my laptop packed up. It took a while to get back to the position I was at several weeks back.

A few clear nights and a few mornings in bed ( if possible) will makes things feel a lot better.

I have also had a clear out - sold kit that I do not use - with the money going to the coast for a few days with the wife. ( subject to :lol:)

John

Well Andrew you seen how others feel , so u are not alone , yes its frustrating at times and one wonders if the money we have spent is worth it all, no more than myself , thankfully at the moment i dont have that money problem, but even so i have to step back and take control of myself ,

i have struggled from the early days of imaging when the web cam was,nt even used for imaging , i have,nt progressed that much , cus i plod along , but what i have learnt is how to process images , and that when the weathers is carp can give me hours of pleasure.

If you are interested in taking up imaging , its not as hard as one would think , also it need,nt be that expensive , quality images can be taken just with the mere modded web cam , then those processing skills can be put to the test, but as Rus says ,the bug does get you and the imaging becomes an even bigger challenge, thats when we pour more money in, to get even better results , one has to except, if you are going to do really really outstanding work , then the cost goes up ,

So what i,m saying is , you can enjoy imaging at what level you set.

Just get a good EQ mount, thats the main thing, and u are away ,

Good luck with the Observatory, its the best thing i have done , although it cost a few Bob.

Cheers

Rog

An old Plodder

Andrew, i think you should take pride in your astro kit and remember it is looked upon with envy by many others :D you should also be proud of the work you do helping those who are less fortunate than ourselves and once you get your obbo project up and running,well it'll be positive vibes only :shaking2:

I am planing an obbo myself(now i,m stressed) :study: :scratch: :lol:

I think you have to set some rules for yourself, and do some prioritizing. It's tempting when you are young to want to buy the most expensive kit, and to feel that if you don't get it now, you'll never have it, but you're 20 IIRC, and there's time. With a baby on the way, there are other things to spend money on.

Thank you everyone for wonderful replies. It turns out this thread had a vital purpose and really helps me put things in perspective.

Don't get me wrong anyone - I'm not getting depressed about anything. I laid out my feelings from both ends - positive and negative.

I've taken on board every word spoken/typed and it really helps to start ironing out the negatives!

Up for some gazing tonight but with a full moon... maybe just try the double double and leave it at that!

Cheers again

Andrew

I had a fluctuatey day today (yesterday, actually),

6:30 Alarm goes off

6:40 Oh look, Venus.

6:45 Kettle on.

6:55 Off to work.

17:00 Got home, forecast is clear, IR picture says "in your dreams mate".

20:00 Feeding time.

20:45 Guests arrive, pointing out the clear sky between the clouds.

20:55 Phone rings - off to work again.

21:00 Off in the van looking at a clear sky and big moon.

22:10 Home, to guests and livid chick.

23:00 Guests leave under a cloudless sky, chick starts to tell me about her day.

23:55 Chick goes to bed.

23:58 Shed lid rolls off

23:59 Clouds roll in.

00:15 All packed up, KK in the shower

Now KK off to bed with no clouds outside.

I still do the Lotto now and again, knowing the chances are really slim, but "it could be me" to paraphrase their slogan. Some days it works and some days it doesn't, you have to have bad days or all days would be the same, which would be tedious. Fortunately there is a large supply of days when you are young, there's even loads left for old creakies like me, so have a bit of patience and it will all work out good in the end.

Kaptain Klevtsov

The best way to look at the financial outlay is that you will likely make most of it back when you sell it (assuming you didn't buy it all brand new....)

I didn't mind spending £600 on my 2nd hand C8 OTA and CG5-GT mount, as I know if it comes to it, I can likely get the same amount back for it and either a)use the money for whatever is needed for the family, or b)buy a cheaper big Dob.

So don't be too hard on yourself for the money. Think about the people who spend thousands of pounds on hobbies like console gaming. The stuff they buy has lost all it's value in a couple of years - at least our hobby retains it;s financial value to an extent.

I just bought myself a Marshall amplifier for that exact reason, even though my missus is due to give birth this week! :lol:

The best way to look at the financial outlay is that you will likely make most of it back when you sell it (assuming you didn't buy it all brand new....)

I didn't mind spending £600 on my 2nd hand C8 OTA and CG5-GT mount, as I know if it comes to it, I can likely get the same amount back for it and either a)use the money for whatever is needed for the family, or b)buy a cheaper big Dob.

So don't be too hard on yourself for the money. Think about the people who spend thousands of pounds on hobbies like console gaming. The stuff they buy has lost all it's value in a couple of years - at least our hobby retains it;s financial value to an extent.

Nice Post, SW - thanks!

That thought often keeps me going. I seem to get some great bargains and will probably make a lot of money back if I should need to sell it.

I just bought myself a Marshall amplifier for that exact reason, even though my missus is due to give birth this week! :lol:

Mine too! SO exciting! I've had to spend all the money QUICK!

Andrew

Archived