Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Travel case / box for Celestron 8SE

jonathan

I finally took the plunge and ordered myself a Really Useful Box 84ltr, it fits the 8SE including the original packaging, with a little room to spare. I quibbled over the price, RRP is £35, but I managed to get one from Amazon Warehouse deals for £16 (currently they are £18.50 new on Amazon).

I had to remove my 9x50 finder scope in order to fit the top half of the packing, but that's OK as it's on a quick-release shoe; the red dot finder prevents the top half of the packing from going fully down, I may make a cut-out to allow this to fit snugly. I had to do a small amount of cutting of the packing to allow for my Baader Steeltrack focuser, which is considerably larger than the original back but still fits inside the Really Useful Box with at least an inch to spare.

I will need to pack the side gaps (less than two inches with the packing) but otherwise it should be a nice snug and safe transport box. At last, I feel confident enough to take my precious 8SE out in the car with me!

file-2.jpg

file-1.jpg

file.jpg

This might also accommodate a 9.25 SCT.

Actually, I discovered that with a little encouragement the top half will fit over the 9x50 finder scope, as it has plenty of give to the sides. Still fits inside the box with the lid shut, too.

I used this to carry my 8SE OTA out to the garden tonight, it helps avoid me knocking it on door frames at least, and stops my hands from turning to ice when holding it all the way to the house. Don't have to worry about it rolling when I put it down, either.

Archived