NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonlite Telescope Accessories (Focuser)

Astro_Baby

Spaciual shout our for Moonlite Telescope Accessories and their product.

As most will know I am a bit iof a fan of Moonlite focusers. I own two a tri knob dual rate for my 8" Newtonian and tri knob dual rate with all the bells and whistles on my Maksutov.

The focusers have always performed wll, shifting heavy loads and large eyepieces and are well made, good value and a very worthwhile upgrade to almost any telescope.

Two weekends ago while camping my Newtonians Moonlite went wobbly - this one is about 4 years old. The focuser would slip super badly under loads of 1lb and more and when the tensioner was tightened (and this must be done very slowly and in time amounts by the way) the 10:1 reduction unit ceased to work. In a nutshell I could live with either slippage or no fine focus.

As the weather was cloudy the whole three days we were camping (no more Salisbury for me) I let it lie and resoived to take a look when back home. A few days investigation and fiddling acheived nothing. Focuser tube was cleaned, the pressure bad cleaned and the spindle cleaned plus the top rollers. The unit was stripped and cleaned a fair few times but no matter how much I messed with it it just plain refused to work. I suspect the tension on the bearings is not high enough and the spring loaded element has weakened.

Soooooooooo........I puit in a call to Moonlite and spoke to Ron. The unit was sourced from Steve at FLO but I didnt want to bug him on a unit thats four years old and felt Moonlite would be the best option. Ron was courteous to a fault, suggeted the spring may indeed be the source of problems and said they wouldn't expect any unit to fail and said if I shipped it back to them they would fix it free of charge and ship it back to me. Ro also offered a firmer spring which that offer as an option for those of us with heavyweight EPs etc.

So I would just like to conclude by saying as ever what a great company to do business with. Courteous, helpful and happy to replace something thats gone a bit wobbly. I always say that any company can have a dud go through or a product thyat has a few issues but its how they deal with things when stuff goes wrong thats the real test.

So there you are - great product, great company to deal with and its nice to know yor investment in their product is backed up by people who stand four square behind their product and will help when things go wrong.

Thank you Ron.

Mel

• 4 months later...

Hi

I wanted a new focuser for my tak1 180ed and I contacted Ron from moonlight focusers , who responded to my emails in a fast and courteous manor .

After placing my order for a special , it was made in 1 day and shipped to the uk in 5 days , ok mr customs had it for a week but

can not fault moonlights service and quality of goods , highley recomended

Harry

• 4 months later...

I purchased a moonlite cr2 dual rate focuser last year and have just upgraded my scope so needed an adaptor.i contacyed Ron at moonlite who said i could just buy the adaptor plate rather than another complete kit so saving some money.i also enquired about a replacement screw for my drawtube as i had bent one getting the scope in amd out of the car.Ron said he would send one free of charge.from point of order to receipt it took just over a week.

Total legend and always great customer service!

Archived