Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Free courses.

wookie1965

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here - I'm kicking myself (as I regularly do) that I didn't get a better grounding in maths. Then again, I'm putting some of the blame on the terrible terrible A-level maths lessons I had, which were so indecipherable and badly taught that I changed subject after a year. I tried to go back and do A-level maths at night school recently, to redress this, but my local college didn't offer it. Humph. Might need to do it by correspondence or something.

I'm with you on that. Got to be worth a go. The maths does look a little bit daunting but nothing ventured nothing gained. Signed up today. :smiley:

I'd have to do a major maths refreshing course before I signed up to anything like that. Until then Luke you'll have to tell me all about it next time we meet up. :)

I'd have to do a major maths refreshing course before I signed up to anything like that. Until then Luke you'll have to tell me all about it next time we meet up. :)

Same here !. I'm currently doing a course in Electronic Engineering and the forumla/Equations in that are bad enough.

I'd like to here some peoples reviews of the Astronomy courses though.

The OU has a great maths refresher/study aid here: http://www.open.ac.uk/skillsforstudy/doc/maths-skills.pdf I used it on my last OU course - S177 - Galaxies, Stars and Planets.

It was really helpful and takes you from really simple basic maths up to more advanced stuff. It is surprising what you can remember, with a little hint! :smiley:

HTH

Bryan

I just checked out Galaxies and Cosmology in more detail by the way - far too hard for me. The chap in the video said the course assumed basic quantum mechanics. So I thought, ok maybe I could do the quantum mechanics course (how hard could that be, right? :grin: ). But the QM course said it assumed knowledge of eigenvectors - which I never really got at Uni .. and basic computer science stuff like big-Oh notation. The only big Oh I understand is Oh, maybe it's not for me... :grin:

Archived