NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ptolemaeus-Alphonsus-Arzachel

Nick Smith

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent Nick. That chain of craters mentioned by Nightfisher, one wonders how those types of chains occured,two big ones, a chain of smaller ones, another big one, another chain of smaller ones. Possibly ending with a big and then a small one. All in a slight arching motion. I am not sure a bouncing motion would cause a feature like that because of the way the craters appear to lose and gain impact strength. I would have thought a line of fragments came in at the same time. Although i suppose its possible one of the larger craters near by, ejected a line of different size bolders, during its impact. I wonder if that feature has been explained. By the experts. Very interesting feature. And lovely presentation.

Excellent shot, near the top right is a lovely line of little craters, as if a bouncing collision occured, Nick, what would you say is the best phase of moon to image with spc900?

Keep up the superb work :cool:

Thanks Jules

Any phase other than full!!! There is always something of interest on view. Around last quarter will show a lot of the "showpiece" features well (Clavius, Plato, Copernicus, Ptolemaeus chain etc). The waxing moon, just past first quarter will also show similar features. The Moon is full of fascinating features, so any time is a good time to observe.

Excellent Nick. That chain of craters mentioned by Nightfisher, one wonders how those types of chains occured,two big ones, a chain of smaller ones, another big one, another chain of smaller ones. Possibly ending with a big and then a small one. All in a slight arching motion. I am not sure a bouncing motion would cause a feature like that because of the way the craters appear to lose and gain impact strength. I would have thought a line of fragments came in at the same time. Although i suppose its possible one of the larger craters near by, ejected a line of different size bolders, during its impact. I wonder if that feature has been explained. By the experts. Very interesting feature. And lovely presentation.

Thanks Neil

That chain is called Catena Davy. Yes it is believed to be formed by a rock that broke up before impact, torn apart by tidal forces. It does not have the appearance of impacts secondary to a larger impact, as can be seen in the area around Copernicus.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Neil

That chain is called Catena Davy. Yes it is believed to be formed by a rock that broke up before impact, torn apart by tidal forces. It does not have the appearance of impacts secondary to a larger impact, as can be seen in the area around Copernicus.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for the extra info. All very interesting

That's very nice, but cheating a bit. It's only half a moon! I'd love to see the full moon done at the same resolution as your first picture.

So would I!! But, believe you me, it is a bit trickier than you may think...Also, the full Moon is not a good phase for detailed Moon pics. We had a go at a big mosaic before: here is a link to the website:

http://www.lunarworldrecord.com

The seeing was not very good that night, though the previous night when Dave Tyler did a test run it was amazing...Still, considering the UK weather, we were lucky to get enough clear sky to complete the image

Cheers

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived