NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you prefer Stargazing/Skywatching solo?

goolosh

When i am stargazing, i find that even when i am with others doing the same, i feel more "grounded" than when i do it alone. What i mean to say is, that when i am stargazing alone, i feel as if i am being pulled out into the universe through my telescope. I could sit there and stare for over 30 minutes at the same object and never get bored or distracted. I have gone out late at night after my g/f falls asleep and ended up outside until 4am just silently allowing myself to be fully immersed in the sights and wonders above me.

When i am with others, i tend to feel a need to connect more with them than what i am looking at. Talking about what we see what we think ect. The event still remains astronomy centered but my focus is on earthly concerns regarding it, and on social interactions here on the ground. This is compounded when i am with others who don't have telescopes, but since everyone has to use mine it's a given. But even when i am with friends who have their own scopes, we tend to jump around in the sky faster and spend little time on any real reflection about what we see.

How do you feel between the two? Which do you prefer, with others or alone? Or do you find a place for both in your lives as stargazers?

I'm a truly solitary person anyway; but i have to admit with astronomy it's a very personal thing, you and the galaxy - it's a magical experience. To sit there, in silence looking at these wonderful sights is bliss.

On the other hand, if you are observing with someone who has a different scope to you, and looking at the same object, that's kinda of fun too; though when there's a smallish group it can be a bit of "my view is better than yours" but in a good natured way - and you get to try out other eyepieces in your own scope.

Great insight and nicely portrayed. Most of my interests are loner pursuits - reading, studying, writing - and stargazing falls into this category. Although friendly and chatty and open, I've never enjoyed team stuff - would hate to work with others and school was a bore, for example, - so in my more mature years I've only chosen the one opportunity to do a little stargazing with a couple of others and although it was a very fine experience, I really would have prefered to just sit and watch and maybe sketch and be at peace and then afterwards, after a couple of hours, say, to have shared a wine and smoke and our experiences.

However, with that said, I think in life it is necessary to find balances, the love being made equal to the love being taken and to try to find this equilibrium daily. To be alone with the stars but then to share precious moments with our loved ones.

Alone I'm afraid, if i want to look at the same object through another scope I just move my head to the other one. Can sit and muse without distraction and sit in my own little world. If I have a problem I wander into the house and check into SGL to look for an answer :)

Jim

I am happy on my own too. I make a cup of coffee, put on some music and while away the hours looking at whatever I choose to and never get bored. Sometimes the cat joins me but I don't think that counts!

I haven't had the chance to go to a star party but I'm hoping to go to Kelling Heath next year.

It's a good question and one where there isn't a correct answer and for me I find I like both. If you're on your own, it is easier to focus down on an object ( especially one that that you've been researching about) which naturally allows you to be totally absorbed by it. Equally, it's rather nice sharing a view, comparisons, comments and knowledge with others, which for me is also part of the enjoyment. I think where you observe can make a difference, namely if you observe away from home them it's very useful to have others with you, whereas observing from home is a more private location which tends to facilitate people doing their own thing. The most important thing is having the choice to do what suits you and which yields you the most satisfaction. I am sure there are plenty of people who would like to observe in the company of others but who have yet to make those connections and which forums like this one can help solve.

Sallystar, you won't regret going to a star party as it's a great opportunity to meet like minded people, look through some of their kit and generally improve your knowledge (...must take a stash of Jaffa cakes to bribe your way onto the bigger scopes!)- I would hope that everyone tries it at least once! :grin:

Clear skies

James

For me, i love viewing from home. My skies aren't too light polluted, even if i do live in a town only 6miles from a city centre.

I do go to a dark site 30 or so miles from home, but have yet to go there alone, i'd probably feel too spooked even at the slightest of noises( lots of sheep/cattle around).

As Cjg said though, going with a group would mean you can try different eps with your scope (try before you buy)!

D.C

I certainly get more observing done when on my own and yes I love the total concentration of being at the eyepiece with no other stimulation. There is something very exciting about being able to show my kids things that I have seen though! In our joint sessions I rarely look at anything new, just revisit and share with them, these are very different experiences. Wouldn't like to say which I prefer or they might get upset :grin:

I went to two observing sessions at a local astronomy club before purchasing my own telescope to see if I liked the idea of getting into astronomy and to find out more about it. Reading what you were saying I can imagine how you might feel if you were there with your own scope and feeling drawn towards relating to others rather than drifting up into space in a bubble as you gaze at the great hercules cluster! I left this earth and didn't come back for about 20 minutes when I saw that for the first time. I think there is something very special about having your own private space to observe and I for one am more on the solitary side of observing than social as I enjoy the peace and quiet of it. However I have yet to go to a club observing session with my new scope so time will tell. I think they are both very different environments and will suit people in different ways.

So far I've only been able to observe alone (unless Mrs Marki pops out for 10 mins)...I'm really looking forward to Peak Star Party for the chance to do some social observing and then I'll have something to compare my solitary meditations with. Plus I reckon I'll learn a massive amount about observing and how to get best use out of my equipment that will make my subsequnet solo sessions much more productive if thats the right word, maybe enriched is better.

I now usually observe alone but invite the family out to see something 'new'. When I did attend a club a few years ago (I ended leaving due to bad health and to give a chance to someone else to join) I found the camaraderie and synergy of ideas very helpful. On a totally different level however I think the experience of directly observing is ultimately a personal thing whether you are in a group or alone.

Cheers,

Steve

Im generally a solitary person (or just a billy no mates, lol) and although i do enjoy just going out the back with some binoculars and just randomly looking around i got to say i am looking forward to actually getting to a meet up with the local group if the weather decides to wise up whenever there is one arranged as at the moment, i am clueless, so as well as hopefully picking up some useful tips it will be nice to get out just to meet up with others who share the same interest as well :)

Different horses for different courses. I love to be alone when stargazing, but I love the feeling I get when I show someone say Saturn for instance I feel like I share the wows out. But when viewing say the Moon, I get lost for an hour at a time on my own personal adventure. I play guitars also Daff, and love playing alone but play better with a drummer.....then again this is where a metronome comes in handy. I will stop now as I am waffling...sorry.

Archived