NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

20" Dobsonian

mert

I'm glad he told me it was a "keen price". What the hell does that mean :)

Keen for who, him or the buyer.

Looks well put together though.

just had a discussion with the missus about what "keen" price meant...sounds similar to those management buzzwords....!

A 'keen' price is one that has the market in mind and is low enough to be competitive. It's fairly common parlance in sales circles. Whether or not £2,350 is actually a keen price though, I have no idea.

He could have painted the base.

I think i will give that one a miss. Id rather have one built by a factory lol

I bet you won't find too many factory-made 20" dobs. Wouldn't surprise me if most are hand-built. And probably with hand-ground mirrors, too.

My concern with that one would be that the truss poles look a bit skinny, but that might just be the photos.

James

this seems like a very well built and attractive scope to me. if the optical quality is good (maybe there's a report available) then it would be a fair price - the primary alone is worth almost that if it's well figured and coatings are good..

I like the design other than the focuser seems to point slightly down which would concern me (I prefer focusers to point slightly up as this reduces the risk of tired eyes, heads and hands not fixing eyepieces securely - I also prefer to look slightly down into a focuser as I observe from a seat generally).

I would also have had the truss poles forming triangles as Steve suggests but this design would be strong also.

Archived