Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Back from the Brink

adamsp123

Early this year I was totally fed up (to put it mildly!) with the constant bad/cloudy weather, months of the darn stuff, so I was on the brink of surrendering and selling off my astro kit and finding a new hobby.

I had already taken to playing golf again, which I love/hate but although I don't play in the rain, cloudy skies are not a problem. So at least I had something to look forward to thus I decided to pack in astronomy for a while, keep the gear and sell later if I still felt the need to do so.

As luck would have it I had the chance to buy a house, after a few months of looking I bought a place that was a) in a darker location - South edge of town B) had good E -S -W veiwing c) in a flat location - no more running up and down stairs.

The property has a good size lounge/dining room with an alcove just perfectly positioned to place a desk/computer with mains plugs right by it and an air brick below to run out the USB cables to the roll off shed obsy that sits on a large patio area to the rear of the property.

Now it takes about 2 mins to plug everything in and be up and running, I can see how guiding etc are going from the lounge area and be out and pack up in seconds if need be.

So I have come back from the brink, ready to go.....

I am going to down size on the kit I have ... so some scopes are going up on AB&S

Pete

Pete,

Glad to see you're still around. :) I did wonder where you got to but couldn't remember your username to find out...

Didn't you live near that Supermarket with the forest of street lights before you moved?

Hope you are happy in your new home and that dark skies are easily accessible.

Clear skies! :)

I was too on the brink of selloing off my gear early last year because i have such an enclosed garden, so i removed all my stuff and took it down to my mothers who has a really open south faceing garden; that really got me into the swing of things again.

I think it's wise to hang onto the gear if you can - even if you manage to get two fantastic sessions in a year, even if you have to drive to a dark location is well worth it. To be honest in all the times I managed to get out annually (running into double figures) I can count the best sessions on one hand. No wonder we feel like giving up in light polluted, cloudy UK!

The weather and the generally light polluted skies can be a real downer on your enthusiasm levels. Im glad I got a Dob as me new scope. Can be outside and ready to go in a few minutes, and back inside in the same tme if the conditions change. If I could persuade my local council to turn the street lights off at midnight, I would indeed be a happier man.

Dave.

Always good to hear from someone with rejuvenated interest. I think we've all been there one time or another. It can be different things that relight that spark. For me discovering Dobs and mobile astronomy is what saved me. LP where I live is so bad I simply cannot set up at home it depresses me too much. Tried to observe from my back yard, but just hated it. Observing from a city is just something I cannot do.

Pleased that you are sticking with it.

A few years ago i sold all my kit at a loss having got to a similar stage.

Then i saw a beautiful clear sky whilst on holiday and...........

Well the rest is history as they say.

That alcove sounds warm and cosy :smiley:

Pete,

Glad to see you're still around. :) I did wonder where you got to but couldn't remember your username to find out...

Didn't you live near that Supermarket with the forest of street lights before you moved?

Hope you are happy in your new home and that dark skies are easily accessible.

Clear skies! :)

The Supermarket (T***O) is still nearby but it is to my NW and my house blocks the view in that direction so my imaging isn't now being limited by the beam of light the carpark creates.

It was a close run thing keeping my kit, it just was lucky really the property is in a good location and direction for Astronomy otherwise the kit would have probably gone.

Pete

Nice that you've got a reprieve Pete.

Astronomers do get peeved off here in the UK.

If it isn't the poor weather, it's light pollution, and we have an abundance of both unfortunately.

Selling your gear wouldn't have eradicated your astronomy though. It never leaves you.

Ron.

Archived