Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A bit of brain boggling viewing!

sallystar

I have just spotted that there is a Horizon programme called 'How Big Is The

Universe' on Monday at 9.00 on BBC2.

If that doesn't make me feel like a very small fish in a very big pond I

don't know what will.

The universe is simply mind boggling when I start to try to comprehend the scale of things.

Does anyone else feel like me?

Just checked that's on the record list and it is, so that's ok.

I find the idea hard to get my head around, but in many ways I find it quite reassuring. In such a massive universe the occurrence of apparently rare events such as planetary systems existing that allow life to develop to at least the point where it can contemplate the vastness of the universe must actually be quite common. And I rather like that.

James

I think it's one of those things that blows everyone's mind when you start to consider the size of planets and the distances involved , then onto the the milky way and beyond ..... I love talking about it on a warm clear night with a beer in hand . . . I obviously don't do that very often

The universe is simply mind boggling when I start to try to comprehend the scale of things.

Does anyone else feel like me?

Absolutely!

The other early morning I was spying Jupiter - whilst on holiday - and spotted a pretty star over to its left. After a little investigation the following day, I realised that just as those photons began their lonely journey from Alnath - the little star - across the vastness of the cosmos to reach my singular eye that evening, Billy the Kid had just been gunned down and the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral will soon become legend. Sherlock Holmes meets Watson, the world's first international black football player makes his debut for Scotland and Spain reaches a new European record of temperatures, around 50º.

That's all going on about a mere 130 odd years ago, when I look at M 31 my mind begins to melt. I realise neither Homo erectus, nor the Neanderthal, let alone the Homo Sapiens, have begun their own story. Man and woman, if we can conceive such a thing, still resemble a primate.

Mind blowing...

Very insignificant indeed, it’s a humbling science, that’s why I enjoy Astronomy so much, In a way I can reach out into the universe with my telescope and see thing that the average person doesn’t even know exists.

Mind boggling, absolutely, difficult for us to comprehend the vast distances involved, in 1977 NASA launched the Voyager 1 space probe to the outer limits, It has been travelling for almost 35 years and NASA have recently just proudly announced that it has reached the edge of the Solar System and is about to enter Interstellar Space, that's like living in house and just reaching the back door !!!. Man wants to travel to the stars, being such a delicate vestal, taking into account the time factor and the distances involved, I think it will remain nothing but a dream :)

John.

It's my birthday coming up so I thought I would work out how far I have travelled in 68 years, orbits of the earth, orbits round the sun and proper motion of the sun through the solar system. It comes out at aprox 36 light seconds. compare that to the age of the universe 13.7 billion light years and it amkes you think.

I think the entire idea that whilst nothing can travel faster than the speed of light galaxies can still appear to be receeding from us at more than the speed of light because more "space" is appearing in between is enough to mess with anyone's head.

James

Archived