Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

getting started

Ok so I'm new to the world of star gazing and telescopes. I've posted in the welcome section that I plan on buying an 8" skywatcher 200p dobsonian, which seems to be a good place to start, so I have a few questions:

1) Are there any "must have" accessories I should buy

2) In the future, might it be worth upgrading the mount, possibly to a motorized tracker?

3) What adapter will I need to use a webcam with the telescope

4) Who do I call when I see an asteroid/comet on a collision course with the earth?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) A collimator to keep it in collimation,

2) Doubtful, if you want motors I suggest getting one with them on at the start,

3) Don't bother as imaging and Dobsonians do not go together, rip the tube off the Dob and put on a driven EQ, then add a webcam.

4) Anyone that will believe you.

A dobsonian relates to the mount of the telescope, like the one below. You can motorise it, but it's generally regarded as easier to buy an EQ mount if Imaging is the way that you want to go.

DOBSKY200_thumb.jpg

The scope part itself is called a Newtonian (regardless of a dob or EQ mount).

skywatcher_explorer_200P_EQ5_thumb.jpg

If you want to take up imaging at some point, then I would suggest going for the second one above and then adding in dual axis motors when you are ready.

When you have a webcam (the Phillips SPC900 are regarded as pretty good), you can get a >>http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/125-nosepiece-to-webcam-lens-thread-toucam-pro-spc900nc.html<< for it fairly cheap. This just goes where the eyepeice normally goes.

You'll need a laptop, which means a power supply etc...

But it's well worth it.

HTH

Ant

I don't disagree with Ant, but there's a lot of ways to go imaging and unless you know where you're headed in the end it's easy to spend money on stuff you won't use, that turns out to be unsuitable or that compromises your choices later on. I'd still be inclined to get the dob for visual use and then worry about imaging later when you're perhaps in a better position to make informed decisions about what really suits you. It's not like the 200P dob is hard to sell second-hand if that's what's required. If you'd said "I just want to image solar system objects and I don't care about other stuff" I might suggest something different, but imaging DSOs is just more complex.

On the other hand, if you're really serious now about getting into DSO imaging then there are other options such as Ant suggests. The limiting factor is basically your budget. But if you are then I'd suggest at least getting a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" and reading that, and having a look around the DSO imaging section to see what other people are using and the results they're getting before committing to spending any (more) money.

You can do a bit of planetary imaging with a webcam using a manual 200P dob if you want. It's not necessarily easy, but there are SGL users who have proved it to be possible. I'd suggest getting the hang of using the dob in the first place before trying though.

James

Good advice, thanks fellas. Got me thinking, might alter my strategy, now thinking of a skywatcher explorer 130pm on a motorised eq mount, then I can upgrade the OTA in the future, also leaves me a bit more in my budget for a few goodies.

With the smaller EQ mounts you'll probably find that the mount is close to its maximum payload to start with. The usual response to the question "What mount should I have for DSO Imaging?" is the HEQ5 Pro or NEQ6 Pro, though that doesn't mean it's not possible with lesser mounts. People are using the standard EQ5 with after-market motors, or even the EQ3-2, but the latter is a fairly serious challenge.

If you know imaging is where you're heading then I'd say the EQ5 is a reasonable minimum. You can add motors to it for about £100, but if you're thinking you might upgrade it to GOTO then it's cheaper in the long run to buy the GOTO version to start with. If you just go for the £100 motor kit then you can't do guided imaging without fiddling with the internals of the motor control unit.

If you can't justify the cost of a scope on an EQ5 plus the cost of motorising it, I'd really say forget imaging for the moment and get the dob.

That's just my opinion though. I'm sure others will have a different point of view.

James

Get a Telrad, download Stellerium and the Telrad maps, think about a good quality EP to find your DSO's something around 30mm, if you want to Image look towards NEQ6 and a 250PDS Scope and a Cannon 1100D to start with, so you get a good scope for viewing or imagine with tracking built in the mount the Cannon a refurbished for around £250, not cheap but well worth the money....

A red light torch or some kind is pretty essential. You can buy one that your wear on your head (hands free) for a few quid in most DIY stores or make one using an existing torch and some red nail varnish.

P.S.~~~DONT ring me if you see an incoming asteroid or comet. I would prefer to die in ignorance and bliss.

There are a we questions to decide on first, because the trouble is with this sort of thread, and that's everyone is right :)

1. Imaging or observing or both?

2. Deep sky or planets/lunar

3. Budget ( does that include camera/webcam/laptop)

For example, if the answers are imaging(or both) and planets/lunar. Then I'd be inclined to go for some sort of small or medium Maksutov.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-eq3-2.html - £385

Plus one of these...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html - £23

At some point in the future you can add drives either the full goth to the dual access drives.

But if imaging is only secondary then the 200p dob is a great start, and will serve you well.

As always just my opinion.

Ant

Ant makes lots of sense. I started off with a newt on an eq mount as I knew I would want to take pics in the future and wanted to get adept at using the eq which is not as quick and easy as th dob.

If you're definitely going to start imaging in the future get as big a scope as possible on an eq mount. But as Ant said the mount supplied with a smaller scope will not be able to handle a bigger scope. The mount will need to be rock steady for imaging :-)

Here is my 2p worth, being a new astronomer myself:

Dont get a doby if your going to do more than just look through it. If your a begginer, jumping stright to an 8" is abit extreme. But if you do, get an 8" on an eq mount (EQ5 min).

My first scope was a 6" on an EQ3-2 mount, big mistake, ruined my viewing till i could afford an HEQ5 mount.

So lets take the Skywatcher 200, personaly can't recomend Skywatcher enough, If i was to start again tomorow, i would get:

8" on HEQ5 mount and either power pack or mains power.

standard skywatcher eyepieces that come with it, aren't great, but they curtainly arn't rubbish

Finderscope, if your telescope shop is as good as mine (MC2 in Frome, Somerset) exchange the standard one for a right angled one, trust me, it saves your back

Chesire collimator, the laser one, i find aren't as good as you think they will be.

Red light torch, if for nothing else polar alighnment. The mount does illuminate the polar scope reticle, but it is too bright and i can't see polaris through it. I get my red light torch and shine it accross the opening for the polar scope, just enough to see both polaris and reticle.

If pennies are willing (or wife!!! :grin: ) a few eye pieces, i found Meade 4000 series to be a happy medium of quality and price. 32mm 25mm 15mm 10mm and around a 6mm personaly, you can use a barlow, but i find it reduces the quality.

A webcam if you wish or a DSLR camera, (webcam for planets and lunar work, DSLR for DSO's) unless you can afford a astro CCD camera.

Thats as far as my experience goes to date, hope its of any help.

Peter

Here is my 2p worth, being a new astronomer myself:

Dont get a doby if your going to do more than just look through it. If your a begginer, jumping stright to an 8" is abit extreme. But if you do, get an 8" on an eq mount (EQ5 min).

My first scope was a 6" on an EQ3-2 mount, big mistake, ruined my viewing till i could afford an HEQ5 mount.

So lets take the Skywatcher 200, personaly can't recomend Skywatcher enough, If i was to start again tomorow, i would get:

8" on HEQ5 mount and either power pack or mains power.

standard skywatcher eyepieces that come with it, aren't great, but they curtainly arn't rubbish

Finderscope, if your telescope shop is as good as mine (MC2 in Frome, Somerset) exchange the standard one for a right angled one, trust me, it saves your back

Chesire collimator, the laser one, i find aren't as good as you think they will be.

Red light torch, if for nothing else polar alighnment. The mount does illuminate the polar scope reticle, but it is too bright and i can't see polaris through it. I get my red light torch and shine it accross the opening for the polar scope, just enough to see both polaris and reticle.

If pennies are willing (or wife!!! :grin: ) a few eye pieces, i found Meade 4000 series to be a happy medium of quality and price. 32mm 25mm 15mm 10mm and around a 6mm personaly, you can use a barlow, but i find it reduces the quality.

A webcam if you wish or a DSLR camera, (webcam for planets and lunar work, DSLR for DSO's) unless you can afford a astro CCD camera.

Thats as far as my experience goes to date, hope its of any help.

Peter

I second all of that.

I was looking for a 4 to 6 inch scope to start but I ended up with a 200p on an HEQ5 that came up secondhand. It was a bit daunting at the start but don't regret it at all - it's a great all round set-up.

Pay more for a better mount.

If your serious about astronomy especially astro-photography you will soon realise why a sturdier mount is a must.

This is all depending on your budget though.

Don't rush in a get one now, save a little tad more. You won't be viewing anything anytime soon anyway! Pesky clouds. :D

Rob

I'm thinking that I'm going to save for a while, get myself the 200p on the eq5 mount, as ant suggested, then if I get into it in a big way at least I've got a decent solid mount that I can upgrade to tracking and possibly add a larger OTA in the future.

Okay a little update, just bought myself something to tide me over until I've saved up for what I really want. Got a skywatcher 130p on an eq mount for £110, pretty happy with that, should give me a nice introduction and make looking through the 200p in the future that little bit sweeter.

Once I pick it up tuesday, I'll except crystal clear night skies, a localized power cut to ensure pitch blackness and then to instantly lock on to jupiter and see this down the eyepiece :rolleyes:

jupiter-hubble.jpg

With regards to imaging, I would strongly recommend getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which is a very comprehensive guide to what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images that will meet your own expectations. It will also provide you with a useful overview which will help you form a realistic budget and give you some idea of how far you want to go. As others have said above, imaging starts with the mount and there's no way round that one and if you consider load capacities, motor accuracy and the advantage of auto guiding your setup (i.e using another smaller scope which tracks a nearby star to the target and which can adjust the mount's motors to make sure the main imaging scope stays on target allowing longer exposures) you are going to be looking at a HEQ5 at least or a NEQ6 if you want to future proof like changes in kit. All discussions on imaging naturally focus on the kit that collects the required data but of course that's only half the story because to get a good final image you will need to process that data as well. Thankfully there are many free software programs out there that can be downloaded but, like so many things, there are one or two other processing packages that will need to be paid for so bare that in mind when it comes to calculating the final budget. Imaging does present a steep learning for sure but practice and patience will get you to a point where imaging is more about fun than frustration. The above book is modestly priced and will certainly help you save money by helping you avoid buying the wrong kit. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Once I pick it up tuesday, I'll except crystal clear night skies, a localized power cut to ensure pitch blackness and then to instantly lock on to jupiter and see this down the eyepiece :rolleyes:

jupiter-hubble.jpg

Errrr................................................................................................................not quite ! You might "need a bigger boat",

Nick.

Hi guys & gals

I need some help.

I'm looking into getting a scope I can use as a guiding scope to use on my Skywatcher 180 Pro and I came across this scope below.

520656d8-2ee4-b638.jpg

post-5729-134428646139_thumb.jpg

It looks a lot like the one I have already that came with the Skywatcher 180 Pro below.

520656d8-2f69-11dd.jpg

My question to all that maybe in the know that could help me is...

Where could I get the rear part from and what size thread would this be.?

As I don't really want to buy a new scope that is almost the same as I have but to purchase the just only the rear. Hope this make sense.?

Look forward to any moments you guys could give.

Regards Andrew

Update...

I've now found out that the rear of this scope is a 50mm thread, so now I'm after an adaptor ring step up from 50mm - 52mm.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get one.?

All help is much appreciated...

Well I actually got clear skies on my first night! So I quickly setup my scope in my lovely light polluted back yard and was pleasantly surprised by how many stars I could actually see, didn't lock on to anything specific, just panned around, got used to the controls of the scope and tried out all the different eye pieces. It's forecast to be clear again tonight, so I'm going to relocate to y parents back garden, which some give me a better view of the sky and hopefully some more interesting sights.

Archived