Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M8 and M20 - Lagoon and Trifid Nebulae

Gina

Here's the result of stacking and processing (DSS & PS) 44 lights 0f 120s A ISO 800 and -1C plus 41 darks and 25 flats. No bias frames as yet.

Evostar 80 ED DS Pro with 0.85 FR/FF and 1100D full spectrum modded and cooled with CLS-CCD filter on NEQ6 Pro mount, captured with APT (paid for) and guided with ST80 + QHY5 and PHD software.

post-13131-0-09479800-1343238406_thumb.p

Hi Gina,

that really is a belter of an image. All the hard work in moddng cameras and cooling is now paying dividends in the images that you are producing.

Really really like this image.

Cheers John

Hi Gina,

that really is a belter of an image. All the hard work in moddng cameras and cooling is now paying dividends in the images that you are producing.

Really really like this image.

Cheers John

Thank you :) Have to say I'm pretty pleased with it :) Yes, I really feel i'm making progress.

Really nice image. I've just ordered an 80 ED DS. Looks like money well spent based on your results.

Thank you :) I'm very happy with my ED 80 particularly with the SW FR/FF :) Superb instrument :)

WOW!! Thank you Gina! This is outstanding!!! :) I want to mod my camera as well... by myself, of course. any tips or tutorials you have followed? any unexpected challenges?

Congrats once again for that beautiful image.

Cheers,

Rui

Hey Gina.

Great image, such vivid colour. Am curious to learn about modding the 1100D, and how do you cool it (is this runtime cooling, or cooled pre-session?). Also, why do you have 2x 1100D modded - are they modded in different ways or just because you like to image off two scopes simultaneously etc?

Final question, could the filter you put onto the camera work or improve light transmission of faint nebula to an un-modded 1100D? I am starting out in photography now too so don't want to make my 1100D only good for Astronomy... (at least not until I can save pennies and justify cost for an exclusive AP camera).

Ash

WOW!! Thank you Gina! This is outstanding!!! :) I want to mod my camera as well... by myself, of course. any tips or tutorials you have followed? any unexpected challenges?

Congrats once again for that beautiful image.

Cheers,

Rui

Thank you :) For the filter removal I followed Gary Honis's excellent tutorial. I think I also posted my detailed filter removal in the DIY - Astronomers forum. I've also detailed my cold finger mod. Main point is to proceed very carefully and steadily. Be particularly careful with the main circuit board - it has many delicate surface mount components.

Hey Gina.

Great image, such vivid colour. Am curious to learn about modding the 1100D, and how do you cool it (is this runtime cooling, or cooled pre-session?). Also, why do you have 2x 1100D modded - are they modded in different ways or just because you like to image off two scopes simultaneously etc?

Cooling is continuous - details in various threads in the DIY - Astronomer forum. I have one 1100D on the scope and another on the same mount with a bracket, with lens for wide-field imaging. Yes, I can use both at the same time thereby making double use of the clear sky when we get it. The second camera also serves as a finder scope for DSOs having the advantage of long exposures for faint objects. For that purpose I align the centres of the images of the cameras so that the scope always covers the centre section of the finder.
Final question, could the filter you put onto the camera work or improve light transmission of faint nebula to an un-modded 1100D? I am starting out in photography now too so don't want to make my 1100D only good for Astronomy... (at least not until I can save pennies and justify cost for an exclusive AP camera).

Ash

Filters can't improve light transmission - they remove (or reduce) unwanted wavelengths of light such as produced by sodium and mercury street lights. Narrow band filters will block a lot of white light while passing the emissions of nebulae. For instance, most nebulae emit deep red light from Hydrogen gas excited by radiation from nearby star(s). This is called Hydrogen Alpha and abbreviated to Ha. Good filters will pass 95% or more of the wanted light while blocking pretty much everything else.

This is an object pair that I really like and you did an excellent job of capturing it!

Jacob

Thank you :) Yes, I agree a very nice paur of DSOs :)

Archived