Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ADM or ALTAIR Clamping systems or Others?

Hello Everybody i am just researching clamping systems and was favouring ADM but then read a review about the dovetail clamps can jam, or suddenly spring open when the tension is released,can anyone confirm that happening to them, are Altair clamps any better,anyone have ant personal experience of this happening to them.

I am mounting an Equinox 120 to a Heq5 and considering the losmandy style plates with a dovetail clamp what do you all think and what do you use? Thanks upfront for all your help!!

I have been using various 'Losmandy' style parts.

They are from different manufacturers, but mainly ADM.

On build quality and reliability, ADM stuff gets full marks from me.

I have never used any Altair parts. No criticism. It is just they have not been there in my face, or already fitted, when I have bought anything.

Some time back I encountered problems mixing Intes Micro and ADM parts. When I made further enquiries I discovered there is no accepted 'Losmandy' size standard.

The only company who gave me a complete answer on the parts sizes were ADM. They were good enough to provide a mechanical drawing of a rail to describe the dovetail dimensions. Now if anything from 'A N Other parts' looks a bit awkward, I regard ADM dimensions as the standard. I had to trim the root of the russian doveltail a tiny bit to make things fit.

I could imagine problems with jammed dovetails when mixing different manufacturers parts. But as far as I am concerned, the company who publish size information always get first chance on any purchase.

Hope this helps. David.

I have an ADM upgraded NEQ6 saddle and a Vixen-size ADM dual bar. I can confirm that both of them have been known to stick a little, but only if you release one of the screws first. If you undo them both evenly, so that the clamp opens at the same rate at both ends, there is no problem. I've found both pieces of ADM stuff to be very suitable for the job. I'm trusting the ADM saddle with my Epsilon 180 and Atik4000, if that's any indication!

I use the ADM minirail system to support various finders and cameras....works very well.

I converted both my C9.25 and the C11 to a wider Losmandy dovetail.

On the NEQ6pro I use a Geoptik saddle plate ( got it for a good price) and that is excellent.

To maintain harmony I then dumped the original Vixen saddle/puck on the HEQ5pro and replaced it with an ADM/ Losmandy saddle...again no issues

Which ever way you go I'd strongly urge you to add a safety clamp! It's one of the best accessories I have bought. Well worth the money for ease of use and added safety.

I have an ADM upgraded NEQ6 saddle and a Vixen-size ADM dual bar. I can confirm that both of them have been known to stick a little, but only if you release one of the screws first. If you undo them both evenly, so that the clamp opens at the same rate at both ends, there is no problem. I've found both pieces of ADM stuff to be very suitable for the job. I'm trusting the ADM saddle with my Epsilon 180 and Atik4000, if that's any indication!

Yes I can imagine that scenario could cause issues if only one screw is released, causing the dovetails edges to become very un-parallel. I guess issues might also occur when mounting an OTA, i.e. trying to fully tighten only one of the screws before doing anything with the other.

Hello message for starforming yes the link to the article i read it in his here http://www.southcoastastro.co.uk/?page_id=171

Just put me off a bit, and before I take the plunge and get myself into a system i want to be sure its reliable and not having to fumble in the dark on a cold night with a jammed clamp.Thank you to everyone for all the info gives me something to mull over,and any other practical info would be most helpfull.What a great forum everybody helps out!!

I use ADM stuff mostly but have tried the odd Altair item. Both are very good and I wouldn't hesitate to use either. But I prefer the ADM stuff purely cos it's black and it goes with my white gear. It's purely an aesthetic thing though - the Altair blue and alloy stuff strikes a nice scheme with the right colour scopes. Functionally - I'd say pretty equal imho :)

I have converted over to all ADM clamps and dovetail units and as I do a lot of testing of gear, these units get plenty of use clamping and unclamping. I have never had a jam on any piece of equipment that I have used but then to me, it is natural to tighten or loosen both clamp bolts incrementally. ADM? - Love'em!

Although I am unable to comment on Altair products, I do use ADM with almost the same refractor but a Losmandy mount, as a retired engineer I can say in my estimate their products are first class and well built. But it is like everything else, it depends how you treat the clamp, if you keep it clean and ever so slightly oiled, and remember to operate both large clamping knobs at the same time I can see no bother with it sticking, mine never have :)

John.

Just as an up date, I have read the published article and IMHO I would disregard it, to me it sounds as if the clamp is not functioning correctly, probably due to a bent or misaligned guide pin/pins, it may have been dropped, and should accordingly been returned to the supplier, the gentleman is obviously tightening the clamp far to tight and it is no wonder he has caused damage to metal surfaces. use of safety stops on the dovetail are recommended and it is only necessary to clamp as tight as to stop the scope from moving, it is also essential to see that both dovetail and clamp are fitted correctly in the first place. There are many seasoned Astronomers using ADM products who are highly satisfied, I think if there had been problems with the companies products it would have manifested itself before now :)

John.

Well thanks for that, think my fears have been put to rest ADM it is thanks everyone!! Thinking about it people quite often leave negative reviews when they feel peeved about the problems they have encountered,and people who are happy with their purchases just get on with it.Think I will get the ADM Dual saddle for my HEQ5 and an 11" Losmandy type Plate for my Equinox !20 and just get on with it!

... people quite often leave negative reviews when they feel peeved about the problems they have encountered,and people who are happy with their purchases just get on with it.

Don't they just :grin:

It is a pity the review is anonymous because the ADM product will almost certainly have been supplied by us and, if I knew who it was, I would happily approach the author with advice. Clearly I am biased but ADM kit is the BEST! Every year someone offers up an alternative (usually made in China but sold under a UK or US brand) with a fancy logo, pretty anodising and sexy curves but I am yet to find a product that actually 'betters' ADM's kit.

Steve

Yes i must agree about copies appearing all over the place ,from our friends in the east especially you only have to look at a well known auction site to see the extent of it,the stuff is probably made of cheap grade aluminium,made to a lesser tolerance ,and not properly coated.

You buy the real thing and it lasts forever,i`ve seen this quite widely in photography gear over the years but you can`t beat the real thing

you only have to handle it too feel the difference in quality.

I always use the MDS ADM kit for guidescopes, finder, counterweight system and camera bracket and have never had an issue with any of it.

Both Anthony (ADM) and FLO are quick to respond to any questions and make sure that you get the correct fitting parts.

Andy

• 7 months later...

I have been using Altair Astro saddles for the past 8 mths but have found that the clamps do not tighten fully on the C11 edge dovetail (Losmandy Type ?) I have a bar with two saddles which I have not really used due to this problem and am now wondering which way to go.

Either ditch the whole Altair system or just get the ADM bar that will clamp on to my Altair saddle.

I am sure others have come across this and I amnot saying that Altair is a bad system just that Celestron changed the spec of their dove tail.

Archived