NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

best 8mm e.p.

faulksy

hi guys/gals. after some help i have just bought a 8mm celestron xl havnt used it yet but just wondered which would be the best

1. 8mm radian

2.8mm tv plossl

3. 8,5 pentax xf.

just hard to make my mind up all these e.ps are for my sct. or do you think the celestron will be good enough

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At f10 I believe the Celestron xcel should be fine but Michael H F Wilkinson does rave about the Pentax XF (better than the radian he says).

FOV for the plossl is 50* but all the others are 60*.

From what I have read the radian is better than the plossl and the apparently the Pentax is better than the radian (and cheaper unless the radian is second hand).

ETA: the radian has the best eye relief (20mm) then the Pentax (18mm), the Celestron has 16mm and the Plossl 6mm

I'd give the X-Cel LS a chance before jumping ship. It's easy to get twitchy over eyepieces when you read about other peoples experiences but all the ones you list are capable of fine performance in a well collimated scope under good conditions.

... (and cheaper unless the radian is second hand)...

Sometimes it's cheaper even when the Radian is 2nd hand. XF is £120 new each, which is around the same same as a used Radian.

May be the OP should consider a 8mm LVW as well. For some reason LVW are really bad at holding their value and their used price are often 50% less than their new price. However, they are really good eyepiece. Actually I'm tempted in getting hold of a 8.5mm XF to see how it compares with my 8 LVW.

I'd give the X-Cel LS a chance before jumping ship. It's easy to get twitchy over eyepieces when you read about other peoples experiences but all the ones you list are capable of fine performance in a well collimated scope under good conditions.

It's the clouds - they cause buying fever (too much time reading on SGL and not enough time outside).

They're definitely hurting my wallet and I still pore over reviews and threads thinking 'Maybe one more to fill that 1mm gap in the line up....'

I have compared the Radian 8mm and the XF 8.5 (these both leave any Plossl in the dust in terms of eye relief). The XF has the edge in my C8 and APM 80mm F/6. My report is here

http://stargazerslou...n-8mm-and-10mm/

I used to have an LV7 and LV9. These were great too, but not as good as the Radians:

I would think at f10 the Xcel will be fine. Out of the other three, I would place them in order of performance,

1st XF (Very sharp, excellent transmission & contrast, very comfortable)

2nd Radian (although very good, I didn't care for the colour tint)

3rd Plossl (probably as sharp as the Radian but aweful eye relief)

I have compared the Radian 8mm and the XF 8.5 (these both leave any Plossl in the dust in terms of eye relief). The XF has the edge in my C8 and APM 80mm F/6. My report is here

http://stargazerslou...n-8mm-and-10mm/

Funnily enough I had just read that report - great stuff (and I can't wait for your comments on the XW's - not that I can even afford a jam jar at the moment).

thanks guys good quick responce. i have read the reviews by michael wilk and thats what started me thinking just getting prepared, and as caric said to much time on our hands

Another option might be to consider a 9mm TV nagler if you can afford to stretch your finances that far. I have this and an 8mm TV Plossl, which I use on my 8" SCT. When the conditions permit the 8mm is very nice to use on planetary subjects, but the eye relief is a bit tight and might put some people off. At the high power end, my 9mm nagler receives more use though and I enjoy the wider field and better contrast.

The Vixen 8mm won best of group test in Sky at Night Mag, but I don't know what it was up against.

Alan.

The Vixen won it on price (vs XW) and eye relief (vs the rest). You can see the review here

http://www.vixenopti...e June 2007.pdf

Sky at Night magazine group test is a bit of a laugh really. It's good to read for fun, but not for deciding on whether you should purchase something. That telescope focal length vs FOV graph is just silly.

Having said that, LVW are very good eyepiece.

my best 8mm is the TV Radian although I have not tried the Pentax. I found a 11mm TV Plossl was a bit tight on eye relief so would not recommend the 8mm. this despite being happy using a 7mm BGO. as others say though try what you have first and enjoy it!

E621 Keith,

Thanks for that, of that group I would have thougth the Pentax and TV should have been out in front. Interesting that the Meade 6.7mm was only given 85 I think, but in a later review was given 91, must have got a duff one.

As the Magazine goes, it's OK, I can't get it here but I can pick up odd copies from the internet and when I go to UK.

Alan.

tried the celestron last night on some clusters and the ring nebula and the views were very good no false colour nice and neutral, i like to look through it but its a bit big tempted with a 7mm bgo now just wonder how often i can use it surely 40x mag shouldnt make that much of a difference

I second that, I used mine last night to split the double double, and I also enjoy the colouration and definition that can be drawn on planetary views when the transparency is steady.

Archived