NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Globular Schomdular!

Spec-Chum

Globular clusters don’t interest me. At all. In fact I was quite disheartened to see so many in TLAO.

But, after a fantastic night of viewing Alberio, The Ring Nebula and The Dumbell Nebula (once I found it, “find coat hanger and pan left” is much easier then the instructions in TLAO lol) and the Andromeda Galaxy it was gone 1am and I was getting tired. I was just about ready to pack up but decided I’d take a look at my first Globular. Just to say I’d done it. Wasn’t expecting much to be honest, a star is a star; a group of stars is, well, a lot of stars…

I thought to myself, whilst starting to look into the eyepiece “What can be so interesting about a cluster of sta…WOW!” Not quite as jaw dropping as Saturn, but pretty close! Now I see what all the fuss is about.

M13 truly is magnificent.

Messier hunts? I’m hooked, count me in…

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

globs are amazing spectacles as far as I am concerned. the image just gets better and better with aperture too. assuming a dark night even in my light polluted garden, they are simply stunning with my 16" dob, almost photographic.

Consider me a convert!

I honestly didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I spent half an hour just glaring at it lol

I could make out what must have been hundreds of stars after only a minute or so.

The view through your 16" scope must be amazing!

Globs are stunners, especially in big scopes (8" and up). M13 was the first DSO in my first bins, in my schools 70mm, in my own 6" F/8, and in my 8" SCT. Awesome. If ever you are in the south (Oz or South Africa or so) check out 47 Tucanae, or Omega Cen. Those redefine stunning, even through 15x70 bins.

In a big scope from a dark sky, TBH the bright globs leave Saturn for dust IMO.

M13 through a 16" at around 300x from a good dark sky site is a sight you'll not forget for a long, long time :) M22 with the same is even better.

When I was a kid I had my Dad's bins out to look at an lunar eclipse and I remember stumbling across my first globular cluster and it blew my mind.

I ran in all excited only to be met by people who didn't share my enthusiam so I went back out and had to this day one of the most rememberable observing sessions I've ever had.

Probably because it was the first time with an optical aid.

Glad you've converted!

My favourite thing about globulars is they really show averted vision at work. As you gaze around the field of view, stars resolve just outside your central vision and they seem to glint and glisten like a disco ball.

The other great thing is their scale. They're not as compact as they appear, only about one star per cubic lightyear on average. If the scale was reduced so that each star were a grain of sand, the average distance between grains would be about 3 miles. Even in the densest part of the core, they wouldn't be closer than about half a mile. Thanks for that, Robert Burnham!

Andrew

I haven't had my scope long but after looking at the obvious planets, M13 was my first DSO. With the standard eps & light pollution to contend with I only saw a grey blob!

But since then I have better eps & flocked my tube & also blocked off ambient light I return to M13 all the time as it looks much better now. I too would love to see this at a dark site & in a bigger scope.

Happy hunting

"Some of them are pretty tough and will require a very large telescope, such as Jimi’s 48" reflector."

Err, :Envy:

yes but not all of them. It also gives you something to dream of owning. :evil:

with your scope a lot of them are within your grasp. get to a star party with the darker skies you will be amazed how many you will be able to see.

I had a chance to see both Jupiter and M-13 through the 60-inch scope on Mt. Wilson (Pasadena, USA) a few years back. It was one of the peak experiences of my observing career. That made me a longtime fan of globs too! :)

Dan

Archived