Binoculars?

Hello everyone,

I bough a skyliner 200p a few months ago and have had maybe 4 or 5 uses of it...weather *sigh*... anyway I did as everyone said find it a bit awkward to get used to it but after some practise have been able to find the things I have set out to look for generally..

Basically its only after buying the scope and getting used to it that i discovered all the advice about getting binoculars first....

So I guess my question is, will getting a set of binoculars add to my stargazing experience even though im already getting quite comfortable with finding my way round with my scope?

I can't help but think its going to be more or less the same view as my finder scope, although at maybe a more comfortable position.... and the right way up! but can you justify the best part of say i dunno... sixty to a hundred pounds for a half decent pair on that?

What do you guys think?

Some things do look better in binoculars

Wait until M45 (Pleiades) comes back - it makes bins worthwhile all on it's own.

They are an 'add on' to your observing (for some they are the primary tool) and are great at objects that need a wide field of view or for cloud dodging when it's too much hassle to get the scope out.

They're also supremely portable for holidays.

Maybe keep an eye out for a second hand pair of 'decent' bins to reduce the outlay?

Binoculars may well be of us to you. I would guess that you would use them by deciding what to look for, book or otherwise and using the binoculars scan that the patch of sky to verify it is the correct one, and to get a clearer idea of where you are to actually point the main scope.

Used like this they would compliment the use of the scope very well and hopefully add to the use of it.

I have a 9x50 RACI finder and it gives me the same kind of view I get with my 10x50 binoculars (but obviously just one eye). What I like to use the binoculars for is scanning large areas of the sky, while laid back in a deck chair at the end of a session.

They are good for following satellites at this time of year which is fun, trying to pan a scope fast enough to track the ISS for example would not be easy.

Also nice and portable too as previously noted

Tyr

Without spending too much money on binos try a charity shop. I got hold of a pair of Wrays of London 9x40 for £4 a short while ago. Even the lens coating was in good condition and the slightly lower exit pupil is a good match to my to my elderly eyesight. No point paying extra for wide exit diameters when it can be enjoyed.

At the moment I use binoculars just on their own (got scope envy though) and you can see quite alot through them and as said up above certain objects look better through binoculars than in a scope due to the fov. They could complement your scope pretty well :) try searching for a second hand pair if you want to save some coins :)

Oh yes! You'll deffinitily benefit from a pair of bins, as has been said some objects look best in them and you may find some objects easier in them. Eg I can usually pick out M33 and M101 much easier in my 15x70 bins when near home than in my 10" Dob.

M31 from a dark site it's hard to beat the view offered by big bins. The NA nebula needs bins to fit the whole thing in. M45 is a bit good through them too, as are the rosette neb, M44, M24, M25 blimey I could go on but you get the idea :)

A scope doesn't do away with bins anymore than the other way around they compliment one another perfectly and I for one highly recommend them.

many people who own scopes also own bins. handy for quick observing and wide views of the skies. some of the views can be awesome at times. so id say yes if you can afford some then go for it.

look for bk4 glass and at least multicoated lenses if not fully multicoated. as for magnification and size ect. down to personel preference. but the general feeling is 10x50 tends to be the maximum for unaided handheld obseving. above x10 tends to require a stand /mount/tripod. although ive used x12 freehand before just about.

( seems a few others have beat me to it, so sorry if im repeating advice )

haha, yeh im gonna get some... Tbh today I nearly impulse bought a pair but then my head kicked in saying wait, ask some questions yada yada... Im not sure exactly what models or how much I will spend but I will get some.. Thanks for all your input everyone!

Binoculars are an Astronomers companion, so long as they are of reasonable size 7X50 or 10X50 with bk4 and multi coated optics and of good build, they will serve you well , Have a look at Strathspey Binoculars web site, there is quite an amount of info on the make up of binoculars as well as their products being highly regarded, the 10X50 Marine came out top in a S@N review some time back :)

John.

I agree with the general opinion. They are a nice tool to have, some (just a few) objects look best on binos but in general the scope will show you a lot more. The moon, planets, globular clusters and most things won't be even close to what you can see on an 8" scope. However, for quick sessions or to take along when you're overseas, they are great. I would recommend the standard 10x50 or even 8x40s if you intent to take then while travelling. I made the mistake to get 15x70s and they are just to big to take along with my camera, camera lenses, flash, tripod and all the other stuff I usually carry.

I bought some 10x50s before I bought a bigger scope and I couldn't believe what you can see with them, I would deff think about getting a pair, I wouldn't be without them these days, especially when you just want a quick look at the sky without the hassle of pulling the scope out :)

Binoculars are the best portable astronomy rig as you can take them everywhere with you. Sometimes with a scope you get stuck in a rut looking at the same things over and over, but binoculars tend to encourage you to cruise the sky and gain a better understanding of its larger structures.

I recently bought a pair of bino's and I'd echo everyones comments above, the couple times I have used mine I've had just as much enjoyment as I would using my scope.

Just because bino's are smaller and cheaper than a telescope it doesn't mean they are inferior...far from it! :)

Keep an eye on the FLO clearance thread on here and see if you can get a bargain, thats exactly what I did and I'm very happy with mine.

10x50 bins, mounted on a cheap monopod, are for me the ultimate portable astronomy kit. They are great for seeing through light-polluted skies. They are also useful to have a look around the sky to see what's up while the scope is cooling.

It's interesting that while I spend the most time at my scope I have seen for more objects through my bins.

Archived