NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Bob's knobs secondary kit for a skywatcher 200p costs £20.95 from RVO.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/bobs-knobs-skywatcher-newtonian-secondary-collimating-thumbscrews.html

Whereas they cost £2.34 if you pick them up from the link I provided earlier so I think it's safe to say we're being ripped off.

If you have freedom of choice then you cannot be "ripped off". You pays your money and you takes your choice.

In defence of BK, he provides a comprehensive website which allows you to check that you are buying the correct items. A generic screw provider does not provide that. He also will, if there is ambiguity, ship two sets and refund the incorrect ones on return. I now that in the past I have bought two sets of generic screws as I was unsure of the correct sizing, which certainly reduces the cos difference. He is also very knowledgeable and approachable and his shipping is sometimes faster than UK suppliers (in my experience). His website also contains helpful information on collimating the scope after installation.

Personally I am happy to pay a bit more and know that I am getting the correct items. A secondary (on a SCT) can be damaged by using the incorrect length bolts, or even worse, the secondary could drop off during installation damaging the primary.

So, IMHO, I think that it's a little unfair to claim that BK is ripping anyone off. He's not forcing you to purchase from him, is he? And the extra cost is more than made up by the value of the information that he provides (again, IMHO).

If you have freedom of choice then you cannot be "ripped off". You pays your money and you takes your choice.

In defence of BK, he provides a comprehensive website which allows you to check that you are buying the correct items. A generic screw provider does not provide that. He also will, if there is ambiguity, ship two sets and refund the incorrect ones on return. I now that in the past I have bought two sets of generic screws as I was unsure of the correct sizing, which certainly reduces the cos difference. He is also very knowledgeable and approachable and his shipping is sometimes faster than UK suppliers (in my experience). His website also contains helpful information on collimating the scope after installation.

Personally I am happy to pay a bit more and know that I am getting the correct items. A secondary (on a SCT) can be damaged by using the incorrect length bolts, or even worse, the secondary could drop off during installation damaging the primary.

So, IMHO, I think that it's a little unfair to claim that BK is ripping anyone off. He's not forcing you to purchase from him, is he? And the extra cost is more than made up by the value of the information that he provides (again, IMHO).

If you want to waste your money that is entirely up to you. But thumbscrews can be bought for a fraction of the price in many places. My local hardware shop sells them for £1 each.

i plan on getting a set of Bobs Knobs shortly mainly because i know they are quaility items,  theres the guarentee that they will work 100% and i wont need to measure them, look for them. i know there is support for them either on here by the few hundard members who use them as well as from Bob him self.  

after spending all that money on a scope whats an additional £20 to get it to work right compared to the cost of a telrad, RACI, ilumanated eyepeice etc 

Every one is entitled to his or her own opinion after all.  

If you want to waste your money that is entirely up to you. But thumbscrews can be bought for a fraction of the price in many places. My local hardware shop sells them for £1 each.

No-one is disputing that thumbscrews are not available cheaper.

What you don't get from a local hardware store is a guarantee that they'll fit, be the correct length, have spacers if required and won't cause damage. Nor will you get advice on fitting or collimation. None of this is needed if you are experienced and don't mind fiddling about. But some peeps want the extra piece of mind and are happy to pay for that knowledge and advice. It's not money wasted, it's money paid for a certain level of service.

Personally I think that it's great that we have such choice available. BK is a decent vendor offering a decent product and IMHO is one of the "good guys".  As such, I personally am happy to pay the little extra for the piece of mind and have done so on any SCT that I have owned. Of course, you are free to choose whichever one that you want, and as you aren't being forced to buy from only one place then you aren't being "ripped off". I've spent the thick end of £20K of astro kit in the last 5 years, and made plenty of mistakes along the way. Funnily enough I don't consider BKs to be one of them.

Hope that helps. As with everything in life, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Like zakalwe said, definitely one of the good guys.  I ordered a set of BK for my MN190 about three years ago.  After a week, they hadn't shown up (which is fairly standard coming from USA to UK, to be honest).  I emailed him asking if I should be concerned, and he immediately sent another set in the post "in case the first set have got lost en route".  I ended up with two sets!  Such a nice guy, and definitely looking after his customers.

Whenever possible, I try and support small businesses like his, and having spent thousands on everything else in my observatory, I really didn't think he was asking a lot for his products.

I've purchased direct from Bobs Knobs on 2 occasions. Hassle free and very quick.

+1

Tell him what you want, pay by Paypal and since they are only a few quid VAT customs people not interested.  Easy-peasy.

Cripes - Spent 4 hours last Friday looking (unsuccessfully) for a pair clip on sunglasses - Height

of summer, seaside town etc. What chance finding anything beyond VERY generic hardware?  :angry8:

I have used "Bob" (of knob fame) and found him to be a prompt and highly professional supplier.

Also get "workshop" hardware from Boneham & Turner... Thumbscrews... Lobe Knobs etc. 

A useful source for small order "stock" springs found: http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk

But you have the know the NAMES of "stuff" - Be able to interpret technical specifications etc.

I mostly can - Ex-scientist, working with workshop skilled staff, endless trips to "stores"... :o

But no shame *not* to know stuff! To "pay for" services or for pre-selected things?

Not everyone appreciates that "hardware" can be such a... joy? lol  :p

I'm a fan of BK. If you go to astro shows and talk to gear suppliers, they work on a tiny margin.

Without our support, they couldn't continue to trade . Certainly the upgraded primary springs for the 10" Dob make collimation a breeze,

Nick.

Archived