Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dreaded Dealer Strikes Again...

andrew63

If these are the same two items sold on ABS for a good price last week, well it makes you angry. When I saw them, for sale from a fellow enthusiast , was hoping they would go to someone who would really appreciate them.

I will NEVER buy from this guy.

It's a shame they did not appear here, where they would have been 'valued'

Televue 35mm Panoptic 2" Telescope Eyepiece Boxed

Televue 13mm Nagler Type-6 1.25" Telescope Eyepiece Box...

andrew

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

North_star_astronomy does appear to be a dealer - as Mark and Steve have said dealers have to make money or they tend to starve to death.

But if we spot them trading on SGL then access to the classifieds will be withdrawn.

Cheers

Ant

Yes we have a choice who we buy or deal with - and my choice will be to avoid. I look at it this way - I think that panoptic was £160 - a lovely eyepiece sold generously at an affordable price for someone to treasure - now it's £230 the nagler was i think £120 now £199 - whould have been a chance for someone who never had a nagler experience possible to have that pleasure - most of us are enthusiasts on a 'budget' . These are just my opinions and others will naturally have differing viewpoints.

andrew

It's worth putting the contrarian case, just for the record.

First of all, (assuming these are the pieces from ABS), the original seller almost certainly had the opportunity to sell these on eBay, him/herself. However a lot of people, me included, prefer not to sell stuff on the 'bay. Likewise, eBay's "completed listings" feature gives an idea of what stuff has actually sold for in the past. That is helpful in setting realistic asking prices: either on eBay or on other places.

Most people are also aware that eBay carries a lot of risk from the seller's PoV. Apart from people not paying, there is a huge amount of buyer protection: item not received, not as described etc. that you don't have for private sales on other sites. That's got to be worth something. :kiss:

Finally, although the eBayer does have them up at a premium price, there's no guarantee they'll sell for the amount asked. Plus if he/she is trying to make a living out of buying/selling astro gear, they have to assign a cost to the time they spend. Even at the minimum wage, that must add up to a few hours.

So whether we think it's good or bad, those EPs are *still* cheaper than buying new, so someone's going to get a deal.

There is a difference between dealers and trader. Dealers like FLO invests in facilities, stock, and buy from importer at dealer price and then sell it at the retail price. That's normal business practices and it's fine because they can buy in bulk whereas we as individual can't buy direct.

However, used items are very different. This trader buys from the same source as the rest of us (ABS and other classified), denying the rest of us a chance of buying that item at the original used price and forces us to buy at a inflated price if we wanted it, basically ripping us off.

Another question is whether the original seller knew he is selling to a trader, whose only interest is to profit from his item. ABS is usually a first come, first served, so a trader who spend most of his time there will have an advantage over the rest of us who have more important things to do.

If the trader buys equipments no one wants in the original classified and then resale it on a different market where he knows he can find a buyer then that's OK. A good example was a Intes Micro Mak Newt that was ABS a few months ago. That scopes was on ABS a few weeks before it was eventually sold, probably to this trader who then sold it on Ebay at a higher price weeks later.

However, I'm sure eyepieces like the Nagler or ES100 would have attracted a lot of genuine buyers, but they were denied their chance of a bargain by a this trader.

I'm a little bit tempted by that panoptic.

Go for it. You never know, it might be the £195 35mm Panoptic from this ad

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=58242

instead of the £160 35mm Panoptic from this ad

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=58025

You still save £100 compare to the new price, but you could have save £170 if you bought it when it was on ABS.

Go for it. You never know, it might be the £195 35mm Panoptic from this ad

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=58242

instead of the £160 35mm Panoptic from this ad

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=58025

You still save £100 compare to the new price, but you could have save £170 if you bought it when it was on ABS.

Thanks Keith. Yeah I spotted them but last week was an expensive week plus I'm not to keen when there's no pictures.

Surely if there was someone out there who was keen to own such an eyepiece at such a reduced price, they would have bought it. Of course it would be nice to think of the eyepieces getting bought by someone who will treasure them - they still might - but as someone who has sold things on AB&S in the past, I am just happy to be able to sell my items and progress on to the next thing on my list.

Thanks Keith. Yeah I spotted them but last week was an expensive week plus I'm not to keen when there's no pictures.

Yeah, it's odd that. I would have thought that including piccies in the ad might just help make a sale, surely? I know most of us will know what all this kit looks like anyway, but still, piccies are always nice :). It's not as if its really hard to do these days either with camera phones, digital cameras and computers :).

Yeah, it's odd that. I would have thought that including piccies in the ad might just help make a sale, surely? I know most of us will know what all this kit looks like anyway, but still, piccies are always nice :). It's not as if its really hard to do these days either with camera phones, digital cameras and computers :).

I agree. The original ABS ad, £160 for 35mm Panoptic and £120 for a 13mm Nagler, no pictures, only takes cheques. It would have set off my scam alarm.

Fortunately in this case the ad was genuine and the trader was willing to take the risk.

I agree. The original ABS ad, £160 for 35mm Panoptic and £120 for a 13mm Nagler, no pictures, only takes cheques. It would have set off my scam alarm.

Fortunately in this case the ad was genuine and the trader was willing to take the risk.

I think thats a good point - if he took a risk he probably feels justified in adding a margin on. Anyway he could have asked for a couple of pics to be e.mailed before concluding the transaction - I guess the trick is to be the 1st to express an interest then you can dig a bit deeper during the sale pending phase.

I bought a 31 Nagler for just £200 this way a few years back - and I'm not selling it !

I agree that the seller should be made aware if the buyer is a trader. It's only fair. A bit sad that the bargains are whisked away before the genuine amateur can get a chance....

Good point. I really should, but I don't like the ABS file size restrictions!

Cheers

Andrew

Absolutely, I don't think I would buy from someone who couldn't supply a decent picture, otherwise, how do you decide, just purely on the words? Too risky for me ...

Good point. I really should, but I don't like the ABS file size restrictions!

Cheers

Andrew

Actually I was wondering if there was some practical reason why so many ads go up on ABS without pictures, and restrictions on file size probably goes some way to explain it. Personally, I've never placed an ad on ABS, so I've no idea! :)

If these are the same two items sold on ABS for a good price last week, well it makes you angry. When I saw them, for sale from a fellow enthusiast , was hoping they would go to someone who would really appreciate them.

andrew

Just brought from this "dreaded dealer" I'm very happy with the price I paid, as with all my astro gear it will be "valued" even cosseted when not in use. If this person makes a few quid from dealing .. why not? It's what make's the world turn .. commerce (Not Bankers though :grin: )

I've also bought from that dealer and found it/him/them to be useful.

Ebay is a market, it's fair game for anyone.

AB&S have a policy on private / dealer regarding cost of placing adverts, but I'm not aware they are private individuals only, I have bought from individuals there, who in my mind, are obviously trading and I accept that.

The classifieds on this section are aimed at private enthusiasts only and I salute that.

But if we are to post in the classifieds here and simultaneously on Ebay or AB&S, and a dealer or a budding dealer moves in, that's life.

(But if he/she is a banker in their day job, that might be different...............................)

Personally, I'm very cautious. Unless I knew the buyer personally, I would be think carefully before considering buying an expensive item (such a Panoptic eyepiece) if there was no photo of the actual item for sale and didn't have the buyer protection afforded by using Paypal.

andrew

With only a coincidence to go on that is quite an assumption that they were purchased from ABS.

Even if they were bought for resale no rules have been broken and good luck to the person spotting them, buying at considerable risk and turning them around for a profit.

They are still a good buy even after a modest mark-up.

Archived