Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dreaded Dealer Strikes Again...

andrew63

What are yous like? Nobody's been denied nothing. If you saw them advertised and never bought them then you shouldnt be commenting on the person who did.

As for the buyer making it known that he is a dealer, who cares? If I'm selling something then it will go to whoever flashes the cash first irrespective of who they are or what they plan to do with it.

The seller chose a price that they were willing to sell at so you cant have a go at anyone for reselling at a profit. If this is how the guy makes a living then its all sorts of wrong that you are actualy attacking his bussiness in such a manner on an open forum.

I only managed to get into astronomy originaly by buying and selling to get the gear I wanted as I'm sure a lot of others here did as well. By your reckoning then I shouldnt be here as I have sold on for a profit.

If you dont like for whatever reason what the guy is doing then dont deal with them.

I actually hope the guy (or girl) who is selling these on ebay is on these forums and gets a chance to reply.

I can honestly say I feel sad and angry to know such pettiness has found a home here.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a different between buying it, uses it and then sell it on, and buying it just to sell it on to profit from the transaction.

In the first scenario, A (seller) sells something on the market for £150. B (end user 1) spotted it and wants to buy it and uses it, but C (end user 2) comes running in and bought it off A. C went home and used it. If C either wants to upgrade or found the item not suitable for his need after a few months of use and decide to sell it on the market for £200 then I guess it's fair enough.

In the second scenario, if A was selling something on the open market for £150. B spotted it and wants to buy it, but D (trader) comes running in and bought it off A right in front of B. This denied B from buying it from A at £150, and then D immediately resell it to B for £200. How do you think B would feel? I think only a banker would think this is type of parasitic transaction is acceptable.

However, there is a variation of 2nd scenario that I found acceptable. If A sells a collection of items worth a total of £1.5k. B spotted one item in the collection for £150 but have no use for the remaining £1.35k worth of stuff. D comes in and buy the collection from A and the resale the items individually, including the item B wants for £200. This can be justified because D is offering a valuable service.

This ebay dealer do a mix of scenario 2 and 3 and I'm only annoyed when he does the 2.

In the second scenario, if A was selling something on the open market for £150. B spotted it and wants to buy it, but D (trader) comes running in and bought it off A right in front of B. This denied B from buying it from A at £150, and then D immediately resell it to B for £200. How do you think B would feel? I think only a banker would think this is type of parasitic transaction is acceptable.

I think perhaps your trying to hard to make a point that just isnt there. Are you B? Did the big bully D shove you out the way and buy it right in front of your face?

No didnt think so. If B wanted it B would have bought it.

What are yous like? Nobody's been denied nothing. If you saw them advertised and never bought them then you shouldnt be commenting on the person who did.

As for the buyer making it known that he is a dealer, who cares? If I'm selling something then it will go to whoever flashes the cash first irrespective of who they are or what they plan to do with it.

The seller chose a price that they were willing to sell at so you cant have a go at anyone for reselling at a profit. If this is how the guy makes a living then its all sorts of wrong that you are actualy attacking his bussiness in such a manner on an open forum.

I only managed to get into astronomy originaly by buying and selling to get the gear I wanted as I'm sure a lot of others here did as well. By your reckoning then I shouldnt be here as I have sold on for a profit.

If you dont like for whatever reason what the guy is doing then dont deal with them.

I actually hope the guy (or girl) who is selling these on ebay is on these forums and gets a chance to reply.

I can honestly say I feel sad and angry to know such pettiness has found a home here.

Totally agree here, what's the point in whining about this guy, he didn't harm anyone. If the items were on ABS then anybody had a chance to buy them, not just this dealer. So what if they get get sold on for a profit i think the word here is entrepenour(sp). more power to his elbow.

This seems to have polarised opinion somewhat. Pretty even too :grin:

This will happen whenever an opportunity arises to make a profit. Look at all the nutters that queue outside [insert generic department store of choice] for two days to grab cheap stuff they never intend to wear/use.

I would have loved to grab these ep's at the lower price but I was beaten to it. Thats life and I will move on :laugh:

Dave

Imho - If a seller sells at a price he's happy with then it doesn't matter who he sells to - for all we know they're giving up astronomy or having a clear out to raise cash for some other purpose (often to clear debt). Also we don't know if they already tried the astro community and didn't manage to offload the gear.

Some folks however like to sell to a fellow astronomer (maybe a newbie) in order to put something back into the astro community - a noble gesture for sure - especially if they sell at an advantageous price. If it were me I'd check out the purchaser and determine if they are genuinely active in the hobby and not just trying to turn a fast buck as a trader. But that's my personal intention.

It is after all down to the sellers personal intentions and, miffed as one might feel, I doubt we have much right to comment on what happened with these two eyepieces - they were very scrummy though. :)

Selling and buying, is what is says

If you have something to sell at a price that is acceptable to you and someone comes along and buys it , does it matter who buys it ?

Same with buying, private or trade, if you are happy with the price and condition, job done again

I like to find a bargain If I can, doesn't everyone but at the same time I have no problems with this trader at all.

No one is forced to buy from this guy and he is not doing anything wrong is he. I've bought some stuff from him before and its been good value, if his prices go up too much then people won't buy from him and he will either bring his prices down or will stop selling, simple market forces.

Can't see what all the fuss is about to be honest.

Anyway, what shall I buy next?? Quite fancy a Baader Sky-surfer RDF thingy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Traders huh! who needs them......?

I'd say we all do! Shops are traders too. They buy items at a low price then they advertise, stock and sell on again. Simple commerce really.

I would say everyone in this chain is happy. The seller got what they wanted, the dealer makes a profit and the buyer gets a cheaper deal. Not immoral, illegal or wrong.

SGL classififieds is different. This is for 'friends' to get a good deal from someone they trust. My kit goes on here first and then if nobody wants it, off to the bay it goes. A dealer is more than welcome.

With the potential to upset Mods even SGL has it's poor points.

I gave someone a couple of eyepieces the other week, they were plossl's I had acquired over the last few years and really I did not use. They were not relevant to others that have a selection of eyepieces and I find that the new people to Astro cannot see them on the Classifieds here, they do not have the posts.

In effect the people with the required posts will be lookng for better, the people to whom they are most useful/relevant cannot see them. There seems to be a compromise no matter what is done. I assume that the SGL policy/aim is to enable buying and selling between people who are "established" to an extent in this hobby, and that makes sense.

If you do not like people buying and selling at a profit then do you always buy a brand new car ?

It is unfortunate that the eyepieces have went the way they have, but that is really all.

Ebay is simply one site for buying and selling, ABS is equally simply just another, with the products generally limited to Astro related equipment. As such the 2 are much the same. Someone has just bought on one site and sold on another.

obviously the SGL has rules about traders/dealers which are pretty clear - enough said.

for other selling/buying media, my own personal view is that the seller sets the price and governs the sale. if I am selling I set a price and then sell to the first person to express interest and come up with the price. usually I sell as I am buying something else so having someone like a trader who will just pay and not mess you about (some private buyers really do so) is actually attractive.

obviously in an ideal world I'd like to sell to someone who'll use something I sell and enjoy it but in reality I don't really mind; if it's gonna go, I want it gone. what a buyer then does with it is up to them, it's theirs.

With the potential to upset Mods even SGL has it's poor points.

I gave someone a couple of eyepieces the other week, they were plossl's I had acquired over the last few years and really I did not use. They were not relevant to others that have a selection of eyepieces and I find that the new people to Astro cannot see them on the Classifieds here, they do not have the posts.

In effect the people with the required posts will be lookng for better, the people to whom they are most useful/relevant cannot see them. There seems to be a compromise no matter what is done. I assume that the SGL policy/aim is to enable buying and selling between people who are "established" to an extent in this hobby, and that makes sense.

The Admins intention is that access to the Classified section is "granted" when the user has made a contribution to the Forum , mostly people gather 50 posts in a fairly short time . Dealers / Traders taking advantage of the prices usually do not put in the footwork to do this.

The bar has to be set at a certain level and the two tier access to the Classified section was created so people new to the hobby might benefit from people upgrading their kit but not being in a position to sell yet.

Its not fullproof but the level of issues we have had so far is far less.

The Admins intention is that access to the Classified section is "granted" when the user has made a contribution to the Forum , mostly people gather 50 posts in a fairly short time . Dealers / Traders taking advantage of the prices usually do not put in the footwork to do this.

The bar has to be set at a certain level and the two tier access to the Classified section was created so people new to the hobby might benefit from people upgrading their kit but not being in a position to sell yet.

Its not fullproof but the level of issues we have had so far is far less.

A newbie looking for some bargains can pretty easily knock up 50 posts discussing what EP for my dob or will an eq mount be better for imaging etc. Doesn't take long at all!

" I assume that the SGL policy/aim is to enable buying and selling between people who are "established" to an extent in this hobby"

Not really - it's just to discourage traders from taking advantage of us and encourage folks to make a contirbution to the forum before having the benefit of member's "selling generosity". Even if a newbie is asking questions to increase their post count, others see the answers and also benefit - so that's a "kind of" contribution.

As Kai said - it ain't bullet proof but it helps promote the hobby to the right people and helps to reduce any problems. The previous way it was run was a nightmare for the mods/admin team. :)

Archived