Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead Nebula B33

x6gas

This weekend I dusted off some data for the Horsehead Nebula that I captured last year.

This is quite a lot of Ha data (can't recall exactly how much), but much less G and B data (and I had the pick off prism of my OAG too close to the imaging sensor which caused quite bad vignetting...)

Anyway, tried to clean up the G and B channels and combined using Ken Crawford's method (tutorial: http://www.rdelsol.n...ippingMask.html) I more or less stumbled on this colour balance. not the typical red but I quite like these - gives it a bit of a different take. Can't decide which I prefer:

post-11821-0-93777200-1341871296_thumb.jpost-11821-0-69434300-1341871522_thumb.j

This method does seem to introduce noise from the colour channels... but obviously would be better with better quality data...

Also was really practicing the RGB combine (or rather HaGB) so haven't done anything to address the noise...

Thanks all!

Yes, there is a satellite on the first sub of the Ha. I was really just playing with Ha, G and B subs that I'd already stacked in the first image and I'd obviously used a duff sub in the staff AND not done a median combine which would probably have solved it. When I tried an RGB combine at the time I captured this data the results were awful, but heartened by the first image I restacked the data being more selective which is why the satellite trails isn't in the second image.

I'm not quite sure what I did to get the result in the first image - as I say I was just playing around - but the second one is RGB combined in PhotoPlus 10 but the adjustment layer on the blue channel is set to normal instead of screen which keeps the stars white(ish!) but changes the curtain from it's usual red to that orange/gold.

The Horsehead is probably my favourite nebula. I think it always looks striking.

Yeah I agree. Can't wait for Orion to come around again so that I can capture some decent RGB data and finally finish this one off. I actually have a lot of Ha, though much of it suffers from the vignetting caused by the OAG pick off prism being too close to the imaging sensor it's not as bad on the Ha as it is in the RGB...

Very nice :) I think the second is better is many ways but could do with the Level adjusted a little IMO as it's a bit light.

Thanks Gina. I had a bit of trouble there. I had tried to correct the gradient in AstroArt, but it means I get very wierd artefacts if I try to make the background darker...

Archived