NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 12" Lightbridge EPs

midjam

Hi guys,

I'm a astro-noob who just brought a Meade 12" Lightbridge f/5 and feeling a little overwhelmed.

It came with a 2" 28mm eye piece and I'm thinking of buying some additional EPs when I have the cash. Unfortunatly it didn't come with a 1.25" adaptor so, my EPs on my 4.5" Meade will not fit (maybe that's for the best) :)

I brought it for DSO viewing as I understand that's what it's mainly built for and I'm not going to get much better than my 4.5" f/8 for planets, lunar.

Some advice on the best EPs would be great so, I know how much I will need to save. Thanks in advance.

Hi

Was it new, as they are supposed to come with an 1.25" adaptor? If so, I should get on to the supplier.

If it was second hand, an adaptor would be my first suggestion as a purchase.

Opps forgot to say, yes brought it second hand. I guess an adaptor is an adaptor, does a brand name really matter too much?

I brought it for DSO viewing as I understand that's what it's mainly built for and I'm not going to get much better than my 4.5" f/8 for planets, lunar.

Congrats on the new scope :smiley: The Lightbridge will be fabulous for dso viewing & it will also significantly outperform your 4.5" on planets/lunar viewing when the conditions allow.

For DSO's consider something like a 20mm 2" nagler @ x75, pricey but would make a good investment.

I have noticied that the 2" EPs are more expensive, I'll have a look around for this see if I can get a it secondhand, thanks for the recommendation.

Congrats on the new scope :smiley: The Lightbridge will be fabulous for dso viewing & it will also significantly outperform your 4.5" on planets/lunar viewing when the conditions allow.

Nice, well done, you'll see a huge difference on the 4.5" Wish you many, many hours of fantastic viewing in the cold, dark nights ahead. Oh yes.

Bart

Congrats on your new-to-you LB 12. I bought mine second hand as well and it's a performer! Enjoy your's!

Thanks guys.

Does this adaptor look ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/t2-to-1-25-eyepiece-adapter-/150852035877?pt=UK_Telescope_Adapters&hash=item231f7b6525

Big congratulations on the new scope, well new to you. I too would go for a 20 mm, the Nagler is an excellent, may even the best 20 mm EP but very expensive. Consider the 20mm Meade SWA if you can still get one, they are very good. I am sure that one of Meades 5000 series will work well in a Meade scope.

Alan.

Congratulations on your new Lightbridge 12". I owned one for a while and they are good scopes. There are a few modifications which can be done to make them better but those can come in due course.

You need an adapter like this to use 1.25" eyepieces:

http://www.firstligh...ce-adaptor.html

It would help if you give some idea of your budget for additional eyepieces. The 20mm Nagler mentioned is superb but does cost £395 new. I bought and then sold my 12" Lightbridge for somewhat less than that !

PS: I'd also add that your Lightbridge 12" will outperform your 4.5" scope on the planets and the moon, by quite a margin when the seeing conditions are good.

Hi

Congratulation on a great scope my friend uses a 12" Dob and the views are stunning I supply the eyepieces naglers ect they are a great eyepiece ,well worth saving fore

all the best and clear skies

Doug

Had ours for a couple of months now and only had 1 clear night and that was light :rolleyes:

Still, was very impressed with it, your gonna love it :)

We got a 32mm 2" SWA GSO with ours, very nice EP, we also use the other Meade 5000's from our other scopes and they really do work nicely.

I actually got a letter from the tax man that I was pleased about, a rebate :)

So I'm in the market for some new eye pieces, at the moment I have this 2" :

http://www.teleskop-...d---AKTION.html

I also have Meade MA9mm, MA25mm with which the thread is starting to go and I only have 1 metal housing between the two of them :)

I have around £150 to spend. I suppose something like the following would be no good for a f/5 scope? seems a little cheap for 5 EPs.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/celestron-eyeopener-eyepiece-and-filter-kit.html

I would not buy a kit. I'd buy 2-3 carefully chosen eyepieces such as Celestron X-Cel LX's (£70 each). They will be a significant improvement on all the ones you currently have, including the 2" Skywatcher one.

Keep some money back for a cheshire collimator as well if you can - you will need it (I'm referring to your thread in the Beginners section here :smiley: )

Than start saving for some more decent eyepieces as you get a taste for them ........

Keep some money back for a cheshire collimator as well if you can - you will need it (I'm referring to your thread in the Beginners section here :smiley: )

I think your right, I really need one of these :)

Thanks, I'll do some research on the Celestron X-Cel LX's, any advice on what powers to get?

I would not buy a kit. I'd buy 2-3 carefully chosen eyepieces such as Celestron X-Cel LX's (£70 each). They will be a significant improvement on all the ones you currently have, including the 2" Skywatcher one.

Than start saving for some more decent eyepieces as you get a taste for them ........

Would be great to get your opinion on this setup;

25mm - Celestron X-Cel LX

7mm - Celestron X-Cel LX ( I take it a 5mm would be pushing it a little )

2x - Celestron X-Cel Barlow

I'm really looking for DSO and planets.

Archived