Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ethos 13mm first light.

Mr Moff

I know it's getting late but I couldn't wait till tomorrow to share my first use of the ethos.

The sky cleared at 11.30 so I slipped out desperate to use this eyepiece.The view oh my god, it's hard to describe how awesome the 13mm is. There is just so much to see. The stars are like jewels and you can see so many of them that it's overwhelming at first.

Randomly scanning round with the Dob it felt like I'd brought out a bigger scope. It really is that impressive.

The moon,oh my god the moon is just so crisp and it all fits into the field with room to spare.The last hour of observing I just couldn't pull away from it. There's no eyepiece that I've tried that even comes close.

the only problem now is that I want a couple more. :tongue:

yet to use mine :sad:

Same boat really. I used mine for about 5 minutes worth of Saturn viewing and thats it!

The real test will start when it eventually gets trained on those nice globs and nebula in Sagittarius. :evil:

Thanks for the first light report.

I don't know whether I should envy you because you have an Ethos 13 or you have clear sky.

I'm in a similar situation to Mike. I bought a new eyepiece more than a month ago, and so far I only managed to use it once for 10 minutes for scanning the sky with my small grab and go apo. I really want to put that in my c925 and go after globulars.

Nothing like seeing for yourself what the fuss is about with your own scope and eyes - much more informative than any review :grin:

Ican see I will have to get one of these. I am sure that it will give a better display in my Mac Newt as it is F 5.3. I don't think it will be so good in my LX 200 due to the higher magnification.

Alan.

With a 12" aperture, 231x and still a .43 degree true field would be exceedingly good for planetary nebulae and globular clusters :cool:

Thanks for the replies guys.

It was like that first time you look through a telescope at the moon and you can't seem to peel your eye away from the eyepiece.

In the future I would love a 6 or an 8, and the 21 must be awesome too. Maybe Christmas I can get it a mate. :cool:

Great first light report, that eyepiece is on my long term to buy list. The 13mm certainly seems to be a sweet spot for most people. I only have a 10mm Radian at the moment and it is by far the best ep I have used. Although TV's are very expensive, I think this is justified the first time you look through them. Congrats on your new ep. Clear skies.

as much as I love my Ethos for general observing I don't like it on the moon (or the sun). everything else it's excellent, especially deep space but I prefer simpler stuff on the moon like plossls and orthos.

Danny, how does the Ethos compare with

your Celesron X cell EPs . I was looking at

buying the 13 mm X cell.

Steve.

Hiya Steve, the x-cell's are excellent and work really well in a fast Dob. The twist up eye ups make them real easy to look through and to be honest I can't think of a single fault with them. They work great on all types of targets and for the price they are hard to beat.

Danny, how does the Ethos compare with

your Celesron X cell EPs . I was looking at

buying the 13 mm X cell.

Steve.

Hiya Steve, the x-cell's are excellent and work really well in a fast Dob. The twist up eye ups make them real easy to look through and to be honest I can't think of a single fault with them. They work great on all types of targets and for the price they are hard to beat.

Just to check whether you are talking about the same eyepiece. There is no X-Cel 13, but there is a X-cel 12.5 and a X-cel LX 12. Unlike the LX, the old X-cel is generally not recommended for fast scope and they have different optical designs to the LX. Since Mr Moff talked about twist up eye cap, I'd guess his X-cel are X-cel LX rather than plain X-cel.

I think this depends on what you call a fast dob.

At f/6 I didn't find very much difference between Xcel LX and a cheaper BST, the both worked very well. On a f/5 I found the Xcel LX outperform the BST's but this is where TeleVue really starts to shine, just depends on whether you are prepared to pay the TeleVue prices. For me as soon as I moved up to my 12" f/5 it was worth it, if I still had my 8" 200p f/6 then I would of been happy with my BST's.

Thanks for that .Iv just looked up the price of

a Ethos.£525.My scope is a C11.The X cell 12.5

comes out at £65.What a difference.I had to look

twice.Is something like that worth the money,

with all the other EPs around you can buy.

You can buy a scope for that type of money.

Steve.

......Is something like that worth the money,

Steve.

Thats got to be a personal decision I guess. There are lower priced eyepieces that come very close and in slower scopes like yours the additional investment will show less benefit. Many folks have decided that they are worth the £'s though including the OP of this thread :smiley:

Steve.

Something I did to test the televue quality was to buy a couple of televue plossls. They are around £7 more than the x-cell lx's and are really excellent eyepieces. Once I had a few good sessions with them I knew it was time to start saving. :grin:

Steve.

:) yep I can completely understand your point.

I've still got my 25mm BST what I payed £45 for.

Last night while viewing M3 I did a comparison between that and my 26mm T5 Nagler which cost £445 and there really is a huge difference between the two in a f/5 scope as you would hope for.

The BST has a relatively small FoV at 60' where the Naglers 82' which is something I really like. I could just about resolve stars with the Nagler (seeing was really poor) but couldn't with the BST. The biggest difference between the two was edge sharpness, the Nagler was sharp edge to edge but I'd say the outer 20% of the BST was soft and blurry making the AFoV even smaller.

So no big suprise there, the stupidly expensive EP beats the cheaper one but that's in my 12" f/5, even though you'd still see the difference between the two in a slower scope that gap between the two would be much smaller.

So to be honest if I still had my old 200p f/6 then I wouldnt of upgraded my EP's and would of been very happy with my BST's and Xcel LX's.

I also think its a personal decision as to whether you want to throw that much £ at astronomy and if it'a worth it to you.

For me it's my main hobby that I spend alot of time and effort on, I drive to dark sites in the middle of the winter where I will sit in minus temperatures on my own for hours on end. With that in mind then those green and black EP's are worth every penny.

:)

Have now added 13mm Ethos to my collection and it's as good as the others.

The view is almost holographic as if you can peer sideways into it and see stars round the corner.

Davey-T

Have now added 13mm Ethos to my collection and it's as good as the others.

The view is almost holographic as if you can peer sideways into it and see stars round the corner.

Davey-T

Great stuff Dave. Your collection sounds very nice.

How do you rate the 21mm compared to the 13mm?

Archived