Lagoon, Trifid and NGC6559...

ollypenrice

When guests Dave and Zoe wanted to image the Lagoon region I was delighted because I only have a flawed version with binned colour. Zoe handled the framing rather nicely! This time we used;

Tak FSQ85 at F3.9/FL328mm. Red and green 5x10min, Blue 9x10 min, Ha 13x15min. All Bin1. Tha Ha was blended, as usual with me, into red in Blend Mode Lighten and the red channel then adjusted down.

I also had the three main nebulae in the TEC140 so those were resized and blended in to boost signal and resolution.

The deep Ha layer was fun because it really makes NGC6559 shine out and we loved all the little strands connecting the famous trio.

Olly

Bigger version; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-TCBFvSP/0/X3/AGG-TRIPLET-HARGB-2SCOPEWEB-X3.jpg

AGG-TRIPLET-HARGB-2SCOPEWEB-XL.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

superb, truly stunning. my only 'criticism' of this sort of wonderfully deep shot is that it shows so much depth that the objects start to look unlike what you expect. e.g. the Triffid has kind of lost the three lobed appearance.

spectacular image though.

superb, truly stunning. my only 'criticism' of this sort of wonderfully deep shot is that it shows so much depth that the objects start to look unlike what you expect. e.g. the Triffid has kind of lost the three lobed appearance.

spectacular image though.

I know what you mean. I like to keep the RGB only versions as well as the full-on narrowband-boosted ones as well. But I guess there's a buzz to digging out the unexpected. BTW, even visually in our 20 inch, the Trifid looks cut into four parts by dust lanes rather than three so the name is a bit strange in my view.

Olly

if only I could get out to you one day; hopefully I will. it would be great to even see some of the things you can reach let alone through such aperture. the Lagoon looks fantastic so like most things I suppose, it's a compromise and you take the best route overall.

Triffid has kind of lost the three lobed appearance.

kv.gif

I think you'll find that in any astrophoto it is four-lobed, or at least cut into four by dust lanes. The Ha layer shows the emission component extending further to the left that we normally see. Here it can be seen through gaps in the emission component.

Olly

Outstanding mr school teacher... detail is really stunning..

Hats of to your processing skills too Olly, I've followed you over the years and to be honest you're up there with the very best of them... Truly Outstanding :icon_salut:

A big thanks for all the kind comments. I must admit to being pleased with this one. My best monitor hasn't been connecting to the net recently and now that it is working again I thought the reds looked a bit high on the web version. Maybe this is nearer the mark. Well, doubtless it will need to be between the two as usual!!

Olly

SAG-TRIPLET-HARGB-2SCOPV2-XL.jpg

Very nice to see from this perspective I see the uniqueness as a positive quality and the trifid looks resplendant. Gorgeous colours definitely an Olly signature in there somehow! Amazing amount of stars too - this really makes you feel lost in it I feel.

Archived