The Galaxy's

Hey Guys,

The past couple of clear nights, I have really been trying to find my first few DSO's. I managed to find the M13 and M5 Star clusters, but when i try to view the M81, M82 or M51 I just cant seem to find anything.

Im using Google Sky maps on my phone as well as Stellerium so i know where the location is, just no luck.

I am using a skywatcher skyliner 150p Dob if this helps.

Is this just because they are quite hard to find or possibly due to the summer skys?

I am not expecting to see much, just maybe something different to your average star :D

Thanks guys!

Hi Magic, you got it. This time of year is not the best for galaxies. You will have more luck in a couple of months when the skies darken. I was just about able to see M81 and M82 a few weeks back with my 200p. I am sure some galaxies can still be seen although very faintly, I would concentrate more on clusters and double stars for the next few months oh and of course planets.

As said the Dark Skys will make a difference, also your skills in finding and recognizing the DSO will get better, they could have been in the FOV but you didn't realize, there sometimes the faintest smudges what might be taken as a bit of light reflection, only when centered and a high power EP employed will they start to look like a DSO.

Hi

M81/82 & M51 are best seen in spring when high in the sky. From where I am (the SE) they're near on impossible in winter as they are low in the northern sky ( this is over London).

When they are lower in the sky (winter) you will need good LP free horizons to see them well.

Consolation lies in the form of the autumn Galaxies in Andromeda and Triangulum. These beauties are some jewels of the night sky. :)

Seeing galaxies with a 150mm scope is always a challenge. One technique that works well in less than perfect skies is the scanning method.

Pick a target star in the region and get it in the field of view, then slowly scan the scope back and forth over the area where the suspect should he hiding. The brain's image processing software is well attuned to picking up motion, you will find that some things pop out when you scan slowly by, even if you cannot see them when you stop and stare right at them.

And yeah, winter skies are much darker! (Lots colder, too!)

Dan

This may be stating the obvious so apologies if it is....don't use your phone or stellarium when you are trying to find the galaxies. They will destroy your night vision and make it impossible to find anything. Even though it doesn't get that dark at the moment, it's still worth trying to get as dark adapted as possible.

Stu

http://bristolweather.org.uk/astronomy/find.php?obj=NGC 3031

Use the little map here. So start with the two pointer stars of the plough. Follow the little arc of stars in some binoculars around to the cross bow shaped set of stars..Do this a few times till you are used to it...

Then follow where the arrow would go and you will come accross M81 and M82 between an obvious triangle of stars to the left and some bright stars to the right..

A bit vague but it works for me..Good luck..keep trying...Its worth it when you find them.

Mark

Thanks a lot guys i really appriciate all of your help. You have all given me really good advice thank you :) I will take the advice with the scanning and the binoculars :) And i was using my phone so ill try without that so my eyes are better adapted. Swamp thanks a lot for the info on when is the best time to view everything too ^^

Crazily though after being a really cloudy day and raining like mad the sky's actually clear now so while my telescope is cooling down i will take every single piece of advice posted by all you kind people and see if i get any better luck :)

Thanks everyone!

You will know when you find them but like other have said it will probably have to be later in the year. Use a decent wide angle lens and you will see the 81 & 82 in the same view.

Once you find one then you will find more. It took me a while but now they leap out at me because I know what I am looking for.

Averted vision is a good technique to learn.

Simon

Absolutely true. Once you have seen one, they do seem to jump out at you and averted vision does help when observing them once you find them.

Good advice Simon.

Don't forget, astronomy, especially the hunt for DSOs is very much a contrast game. A bright sky background, such as those we suffer in the UK at the moment will always make the hunt for low surface brightness galaxies difficult.

Don't forget, astronomy, especially the hunt for DSOs is very much a contrast game. A bright sky background, such as those we suffer in the UK at the moment will always make the hunt for low surface brightness galaxies difficult.

Hence its best done when the skies are darker such as autumn or winter. Unless you have a Go-To scope which finds them for you. No fun in that though.

Although the more difficult the hunt, the more rewarding it is at the end of the night.

hia magic, the best thing you can do is pick up a copy of the sky atlas 2000.0. i swear by it, so easy to star hop from star too star and then home in on those faint fuzzies. because of its size i use my iphone to take pics of the section ill be using and then using some red cellofane as a filter on it i just have it in one hand for quick referance.

happy hunting

Also when looking for faint fuzzies, try to use your lowest mag ep. I use a 32mm and can see a lot more of the sky than with say a 10mm ep, this will help massively when scanning.

HTH

D.C

As above, much better in winter when they are high in the sky, M81/M82 quite easy in a fairly dark sky, also found them in light-polluted skies as well as we live a mile from the town centre, was very suprised (and delighted also). M51 is a bit harder in my view but defo winter skies needed!

Archived