Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

You know you have become a 'real' astronomer when...

Yimini

...you can say Uranus without laughing :-p

It seems I can't have a conversation with anyone in the office about viewing Uranus later in the year without them rolling over in fits of laughter. maybe I had better concentrate on Neptune ;-)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You consider it an amazing achievement to own a full collection of *insert line of Televue eyepieces*, which to most people is essentially a few bits of round glass stuck together in a pretty (and big) package.

When your brain constantly thinks of ways to rid light pollution.

When you care about the weather and "seeing", which most people don't understand.

When you start DIY for practically everything you can for your scope and accessories.

I pronounce it Year-ah-nus. That is how most TV presenters pronounce it and It lowers the level of laughter.

According to Wikipedia both pronunciations are valid i.e. emphasis on the 'U' or the 'A'!

You consider it an amazing achievement to own a full collection of *insert line of Televue eyepieces*, which to most people is essentially a few bits of round glass stuck together in a pretty (and big) package.

IMHO, owning complete line of any eyepiece (that wasn't bought as a set) is an achievement in itself.

IMHO, owning complete line of any eyepiece (that wasn't bought as a set) is an achievement in itself.

True. It's not often that every EP of one set is at the same level (therefore you usually replace one of the set with something else!)

most obvoius one to me is astronomers MOAN about long summer nights,and wish for the nights to draw in !!

i know of no others who do this. :smiley:

LMAO, see ive browsed for five minutes and found this from pug. "And best of all (and I never thought I'd say it untill I got into stargazing) the nights will be getting longer now, Hurrah!"

i rest my case.

most obvoius one to me is astronomers MOAN about long summer nights,and wish for the nights to draw in !!

Oh I don't know...

There's a guy a few doors away from me, tall, pale looking, always wears a black cape (looks a bit like a young Ray Reardon) absolutely loves the darker nights - never, ever tries solar observing though. :lipsrsealed:

When you're excited about tomorrow, not because it's your husbands birthday but because it's payday and you bought a 12" dob last month and are feeling rather poor :p

For a second I thought you were going to say the nights are going to get longer from tomorrow. :p

Someone at work today moaned that the days were going to shorter, summer was over etc. I was the only one who thought this was a good thing.

For a second I thought you were going to say the nights are going to get longer from tomorrow. :p

Nope, she actually is more exited about payday more than my birthday!!! Pretty pleased too as we can now get the 1100d we have been after :)

Archived