Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star test - Any ideas what this is?

Hello,

Just a quick question as its 2am and I am up early... :eek:

I was out earlier with my 80mm refractor and decided to do a quick star test on Polaris and noticed a strange line right through the middle of the defocused star. Please see attached image.

I checked the lens as well as inside the tube and everything appears as it should. I then moved onto trying different eyepieces with a barlow and without just to make sure it was not them and all showed the same line... Any Ideas?

Please note the image was taken very quickly through the eyepiece with my iPhone which is why it is not completely round and I edited the image to make it brighter so you guys can see. Could this possibly be the cheapo 45 degree diagonal?

Thanks

post-17935-0-11742900-1340155115_thumb.j

I'm wondering if there was something between you and polaris when you took this shot--a power line or maybe a wire holding up a trellis in the garden. If it was close enough to the scope, you wouldn't see it when you focused on polaris, but when you defocused, you might have brought the focus closer to this object.

Polaris is actually a double star! So it's quite possible that when you see a defocused image of polaris you can see some light from both of them. I doubt you would be able to see Polaris's "twin" when your image is in focus though.

I could be wrong though. I'm just giving a theory.

But Polaris is a double star, that much is true!

Polaris is actually a double star! So it's quite possible that when you see a defocused image of polaris you can see some light from both of them. I doubt you would be able to see Polaris's "twin" when your image is in focus though.

I could be wrong though. I'm just giving a theory.

But Polaris is a double star, that much is true!

I went to an astronomy presentation on a cruise a couple of weeks ago and it was mentioned that Hubble discovered a third star in 2006 so it is actually a triple star. As it took Hubble to see it I don't suppose it makes that much difference when viewing from earth!

I tried on Vega as well and the same line was there... I also tried a street light and again same thing so its definatly not a wire in the garden as the scope was being moved. Possibly a thread however I cant actaully see it anywhere in the scope so I am starting to think its the 45 degree prism however I dont have an extension tube to actually test this

Thanks for the replies

Very close to the EP, probably on the bottom of it. Just maybe a hair across the bottom of the diagonal. It is quite well in focus so it can't be far away in my view. Abosoutely nothing to do with anything at astronomical distance.

Olly

It's an overhead cable - I had exactly the same view through mine one night - took me 1hr of scratching my head over the otherwise excellent optics before I thought to look up and instantly feel stupid lol :)

Hey

Thank you for all the responces!

Armed with a William Optics 1.25" CF and a few breaks in the cloud I managed to get Vega defocused and the line was gone... In goes the 1.25" 45 Degree and the line retuns :)

It appears that there is some sort of inperfection in the prism a very thin line that can be seen only just in daylight. Problem solved!

Thanks again for the help!!

Archived