Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad and finder

Hi guys

I'm going to order a telrad from FLO when it becomes available (how long does the lack of stock usually last for?) and was wondering what you guys do wiped you have one, do you ditch the supplied finder and use the telrad only or do you have both on the scope? I have a 6x30 finder and I like the mag it gives me when finding stuff but I like the idea of the telrad rings to make star hopping much easier. I know it sounds like I'm almost answering my own question but I'd be interested to hear the experiences everyone has had and whether having to two gets to be a pain or not.

Huge thanks

You can use the Telrad alongside the supplied finder with no problem - all you need is the space to mount it - you'll find the balance point slightly changes but Telrads are quite light being mostly plasic. Personally I find the straight through finders very inconvenient so I allways replace them with a RACI (right angle correct image) finder which I'm much more comfortable with. But it's down to personal choice really :)

Same as BrantUK. I upgraded my 6x30 for a 9x50 RACI finder (straight through finders are a nightmare for looking straight up) and I use mine along side my Telrad. Usually ill use the Telrad first to align. This will always land the object in the fov of my finder. I then rely on the finder to centre the object in the ep. I also quite like the view through my finder especially some of the larger open clusters.

I use a Telrad on a Reflector and have a second base unit attached so when the Telrad would be underneath i swap it to the other base,,,had a bit of luck lining them both up but there spot on....well worth the out lay...also supported in Stellarium and SkySafari Plus/Pro..and a shed full of Telrad Maps just a Google away...:)

I ordered a Telrad a month ago from FLO and it is still on back order, so you may have a wait. Mind you, the way the sky is at the moment with clouds and the light nights I can wait a while longer.

You asked about how long you may have to wait for Telrad from FLO. I cancelled my FLO order for a Telrad which had been there for over a month as the dates they had been given for deliveries came and went so clearly there seemed no sureity of delivery.

Not FLO's fault just their supplier letting them down.

Got one from Telescope House, with a discount they were doing the cost was the same. Discount now over so it would cost a few pounds more.

I jsu have no patience I guess.

Another vote for the RACI + Telrad combination.

I live under quite light poluted sky's so the view through the RACI can be confusing since I dont have the naked eye reference points to compare to what I'm looking at, this is especially difficult when initially pointing the scope. Which is where the telrad comes in; If I line up the telrad naked eye, then I know that what I'm seeing in the RACI finder is what is shown within the outer red circle of the telrad and I can star hop from there.

Tyr

ps I picked up my telrad from Rother Valley Optics, it seems they are out of stock too at the moment.

Archived