Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS pic......well miffed!!!

DazC

Last night [15th june] after going to see a few bands, me and my friend John were walking to another friends house for yet more drinks. On the way i looked up and saw the ISS going over head. I had been telling my friend John earlier that night that ISS would be making a pass later and he had said he would love to see it. I'd also told him that i'd love to track it with my scope to see if i could make out any detail.

Anyway, so i looked up and said to him... There's the ISS. He then got his mobile phone out and took a picture. His phone is a windows phone, not sure of the model but you can zoom in on the photos you've taken after you've taken them. After him saying "is that really the space station?" and "WOW", he then looks at this photo he's taken. OMG......i couldn't believe what i saw. He zoomed in on the white dot that was the ISS and to our suprise, we could see the shape of the ISS, not the "H" shape but a slightly sideways on view.

I was both totally amazed and totally gutted at the same time as he said "Who needs a telescope!".

D.C

[gutted at home!]

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How hard is it to image the ISS with a scope as I imagine you would have to track it pretty fast? Was hoping to try and get a pic of ISS when I get my new scope out there... sighs... no sign of that any month soon.... damn weather.

Would be interested to see a pic too. Failing that, even knowing the model of the phone we might work out what could be seen. At least there's one thing helping imaging the ISS, it's bright enough! So then it comes down to available resolution.

Too much drink :). The camera autoexposure would compensate for the dark sky with a long exposure. Even assuming the ops mate panned at the correct speed to match the track of the iss it would be totally overexposed and cover less than one pixel as the included angle of the iss at 370km is approx 0.00027 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos

I just crunched some numbers. Assuming a (rounded) distance of 400km and an ISS width of 100m, that would be an angular size of 0.014 degrees.

Now, take the Nokia 808 and with it's notorious 41MP sensor as an example, and work out its angular resolution. I get a value of 0.010 degrees per pixel. So ISS wouldn't cover more than two pixels, and bearing in mind it'll be in colour, it would probably resolve worse than at pixel anyway. The question then is, are there phones with higher density pixels than that?

Interesting, I used a distance of 370km and 100m wide and got a different angle

Angle = 2 x arctan(50/370000)

Doesnt matter. The answer is still too much drink :). I'd still like a look at the Nokia 808 camera though lol

My error, 0.015 degrees is a better value

please lets see a pic !!! if what you say is as good as you say it is (does that make any sense) then I'm chucking away my 7d haha
chuck it my way i'm after a disposable body :)

This is the pic of the ISS i took two nights ago with my Iphone 4, i think you will agree that this is more along the lines you would expect with a phone

IMG_22451.jpg

Nice piccy, great detail and framed beautifully :grin:

Archived