Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cescent in 2 scopes.

ollypenrice

This is an HaRGB image awaiting a good dose of O111, essential for this target. It combines data shot with Jordan (JCJC) two years ago in the TEC140/Atik 4000 with new data taken with Yves' 14 inch ODK/SXH36 over the last few nights.

Last night was a peach with a clear run of four hours. (The joys of being further south!) The Mesu Mount 200 just ticked away without fuss throughought. The big scope has brought a little more delicacy to the nebula. I guess there's about 17 hours data here so far.

Olly

NGC6888-TEC-ODK-XL.jpg

PS, I should have used the French name 'Nebuleuse du Croissant' because this is a special case of planetary nebula around a violent and massive Wolf Rayet star. Charles Wolf and Georges Rayet identified these stars at the Paris observatory using a telescope made by Foucault of pendulum fame.

Very nice Olly :)

Will you be mixing the OIII with the blue channel? Only thats something Ive not yet tried (mixing OIII with RGB data), but would like to. Well, that depends on whether we get clear skies anytime soon (wishful thinking!).

Rob

Very nice Olly :)

Will you be mixing the OIII with the blue channel? Only thats something Ive not yet tried (mixing OIII with RGB data), but would like to. Well, that depends on whether we get clear skies anytime soon (wishful thinking!).

Rob

With the green and the blue, Rob. It's so long since I blended any O111 that I've forgotten the blue-green proportion, to be honest, and I'll begin by looking it up. Then I'll probably suck it and see anyway! There are some strange goings-on just above the nebula in O111. I played with some ancient O111 data this afternoon and improved on the image above even with that. The TEC is on the mount and the sky looks good... From tomorrow we have guests so pet projects get set aside.

Olly

Lovely image Olly. Am I correct in thinking that the Mesu mount 200 does not need auto-guiding, or have I mis-understood the info on their webpage?

With a PE of 4 arcseconds you could go unguided provided your focal length were short enough and your pixels large enough. In reality a mount like this is destined to carry large, long FL scopes which are demanding of high tracking precision. Yves and I found we could do a minute or so unguided at a hefty 2.4 metres but, no, we autoguide the big scope with an OAG. With zero backlash and very slow PE the mount is a cynch to autoguide. We use long subs - around 4.5 seconds - so the seeing averages out well and you tend not to 'chase it.'. I can and do recommend the mount and reviewed it recently for Astronomy Technology Today in the USA.

Olly

With the green and the blue, Rob. It's so long since I blended any O111 that I've forgotten the blue-green proportion, to be honest, and I'll begin by looking it up. Then I'll probably suck it and see anyway! There are some strange goings-on just above the nebula in O111. I played with some ancient O111 data this afternoon and improved on the image above even with that. The TEC is on the mount and the sky looks good... From tomorrow we have guests so pet projects get set aside.

Olly

Thanks for the info Olly, I will have to do a bit of study before attempting it myself. And im still waiting to get out and do a first light test with the CCD/DSLR twin shooter ive set up, its been a week and I havent even had enough clear sky to sight Polaris through the polarscope of the new mount!

Archived