SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dob mob

Darkstar_1

I bought a 200p a week ago and had first light with it last night, def a couple of steps up from my old 130m, def need a right angle finder scope and some better eyepieces.

I did it the old fashioned way and walked into a shop and said I'll have one of those please, still had to wait a week for first light though;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just joined the dob mob to! skywatcher skyliner 150p hope I will get some great views with it when weather clears here in north Wales!was hoping to get a 200p but with a third baby on the way my wife said no!:)

Tell that to my Intelliscope - I always remove it (9v batt) after a session cos it drains otherwise . Probably faulty :embarrassed: but it works :grin:

Splitting hairs now but 'Intelliscope' isn't that just a Dob with go faster stripes ... and it still works with flat batteries ! ;)

I'm too a recent member of the DobMob with my 10" 250px - need to get the darn thing on an eq6, thought. It's like trying to nudge a fat man around a garden all night. Gimmie an EQ anyday. LoL

Splitting hairs now but 'Intelliscope' isn't that just a Dob with go faster stripes

Guilty as charged (can I be in the Dob Mob then :police: ) and yes it works fine with no batteries

Its still a dob! Just a shiny one :D ---Co. founder of the Essex cloud dodgers social group (possibly? )--- http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/152380-Can-We-Have-An-Essex-Group-In-The-Social-Group-Section-Please-?

As the weather is a tad inclemend to say the least, I have relieved my cabin fever by ordering a Meade Lightbridge 10" dob. Hoping to collect at the weekend, so no doubt the skies will once again be veiled in cloud!

Heres hoping for a break in the weather!!

As the weather is a tad inclemend to say the least, I have relieved my cabin fever by ordering a Meade Lightbridge 10" dob. Hoping to collect at the weekend, so no doubt the skies will once again be veiled in cloud!

Heres hoping for a break in the weather!!

Gratz, you will love it! Lets hope they forget to add the usual months worth of cloud in the box :grin:

I am being tempted by a dob but it's a skywatcher 200P goto, I would never get away with a push too I have an illness that causes shaking sometimes so you can imagine the frustration. Are the goto dobs any good and with it being a flex tube type will contrast suffer without a truss cover?

I am being tempted by a dob but it's a skywatcher 200P goto, I would never get away with a push too I have an illness that causes shaking sometimes so you can imagine the frustration. Are the goto dobs any good and with it being a flex tube type will contrast suffer without a truss cover?

Hi Bob

The Goto Dobs that I have used (Skywatcher flextubes) work very well indeed. But you will need a light shroud to cover the trusses to get the most out of one.

You can use it without if your sky is very, very dark but I would use one anyway. As a shroud has other benefits like keeping stuff from falling out of your pockets amd onto the primary. Eek!

As long as it's not inferior then that's ok lol, I am thinking of the a dob to view and a refrator on my current eq5 to get some AP. I know the eq5 is a bit light but I am not going to go mad, I just want to experiment. I think the dob will be more relaxed for viewing.

In advance of my new scope, I have a couple of questions. Firstly, any thoughts on how often a Dob will need collimating if its being assembled, disassembled and moved around frequently? Secondly, how easy is it to re collimate a dob?? Lastly, can anybody recommend a good collimator???

Dave.

Hi Dave

A lot depends on the scope itself. The larger and heavier the primary the more often it needs to be checked.

The speed of the optics is also a factor but not so much as the size. A 6" f/4 will still not require collimating as often as say a 16" f/8 as the weight is the more deciding factor

Eg My 10" I check it every session but this is because it's transported by road every time I observe. Sometimes it needs a tweak others it doesn't but I always check.

I would reckon around 10" is the size where you should check every session if the scope is moved.

Collimators vary so much in price and quality it depends how much you wanna spend?

Don't be worried about collimation it's easy peasy. The more you do it the easier it gets and even if it's not perfect the views of DSO won't be bad. I'd still rather use a badly collimated 16" on galaxies than a spot on 8". It's not brain surgery.:)

Enjoy your new toy

We were worried about collimating ours but use a camera film holder with a small hole in it, got it spot on the first time we tried. We were worried it would be hard and read lots of complicated manuals and watched vids and thought we would have to get a laser collimator (and I was feeling rather poor having just bought it) so gave it a go without and it was dead easy. We also put a couple of scales on it and bought an inclinometer app for the phone to save a few pennies for now.

the sky is blue new scope has come 250px ... i can not wait to try it out for the first light tonight if it gets dark ; lol lets hope the clouds do not come over and put my flames out ....

Archived