Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So, What's Next On The Calendar (For Uk Skies)?

jonathan

If you're up earlier enough, or decide not to go to bed, around 4.30am - 5am, and are not too far north (seems fine from my place in Spain), the 15th July will see Venus, Jupiter and the Moon all in the constellation of Taurus. At those early hours, Jupiter will be hidden by the Moon but over the next hour or so will be seen creeping out from his hiding place. This is not such a common event to witness and I imagine it will be rather beautiful.

I'm certainly looking forward to the return of Jupiter. Probably to the night sky though. I'm really not good at early mornings :)

I'm sure someone mentioned Jupiter, Venus and another planet, perhaps one of the outer gas giants, all being close together in the near future. I can't recall exactly what it was though. It would certainly be nice to see. I'll see if the search facility can be persuaded to give up the information.

James

4 years until the mercury transit. That gives me enough time to forget about it then remember and be unprepared. Have just seen my first sighting of the ISS though. Very exciting.

Yes I jsut saw that too. Nice ans slow and bright and lasted much longer than when I saw it a few weeks back. Always nice to see :D

The force is weak in me this evening and I can't find the posting I remember, but it looks like it might be that Saturn, Venus and Mercury all rise together in December.

James

I'd have thought you should see it, but that's just guessing. Ought to be easy enough to work out though, by calculating Mercury's apparent size at the time and the angular resolution of the telescope.

James

Jupiter will be very good(ie high ) the next 2 or 3 years

the sun at max the next couple of years if you have access to a Ha scope ( join an astro soc perhaps)

oh and all the other great objects that are up there

its not all about"big" events

Steve

On the 15th July Jupiter will pass very close to the rising moon's north pole. Best at around 3 a.m. Parts of the South of the UK may even benefit from occultations as Jupiter passes higher features of the moon. UK amateur astronomers are owed big time for the clouds on the 6th imho :p

Might be a challenging and interesting target for the planetary photographer

edit:content fail and spelling /o\

"observatory" the upgrade pier made more rigid,floor painted,heq5 upgraded to a goto,guide scope fitted, roll on august :rolleyes:

With the weather we're having, you'll be able to sell it... "three years old, never used".

Not that I'm grumpy about it or anything, but we have FINALLY got our garden back to a state when I can put a scope up and I've not even seen the tops of the trees for the last couple of weeks :(. Fingers crossed, though, faint chance of clear skies in Stoke on Sat night / Sun morning...

"observatory" the upgrade pier made more rigid,floor painted,heq5 upgraded to a goto,guide scope fitted, roll on august :rolleyes:

Hmm, yes, talking of upgrades I'm trying to sort out my Celestron 8SE mount. The power socket was dodgy from the start, possibly an incorrect or cheaply made component not quite up to spec. I have ordered a replacement socket from Maplin which matches the plug I bought from them previously so hope to be changing that this week. I've been waiting for the mount to go out of warranty, but to be honest I haven't actually used it for at least six months because my NEQ6 is so much better. I might put a smaller scope on it for a bit of Goto learning / fun. It was the dodgy power problem that put me off using it - during a session it might lose power two or three times, very frustrating as the set up procedure is quite lengthy with the supplied handset (especially by the third attempt if it keeps failing).

Archived