Hello folks... Request for some advice.

DaveyW

Hi there folks.

This is my first post at SGL so wanted to say hello but also wanted some advice/opinions ifs that's ok?

First off I am mainly interested astro photograpghy with a bias to deepsky objects.

I have taken up the hobby again as an interest I can share with my father (who is also interested in AstroP but probably planets) and we have an opportunity to purchase a Meade LX90 GPS 8" + a wide collection eyepieces and other equipment (basically a full setup) for around £800. The scope is 5-6 years old and seem to work fine but I have noticed a couple of small spots of mold on the corrector plate which I am unsure about.

Can anyone advise if should be a major concern or if the scope can be serviced (in the UK) at reasonable cost?

Many Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome to SGL, I am no expert on mold but it seems your intended purchase may have been stored in a damp place for some length of time, what is more important though, in this case, is the condition of the main mirror, as corrector plates can be cleaned with care, I do not doubt that Telescope House will have in-house servicing, but at a cost. Have a word if you can with a gentleman called Steve in their technical/maintenance Dept, he is a mine of information on such matters, he restored Sir PM`s Cooke refractor some time ago :hello2:

John.

Thanks for the quick replies and welcome.

It's been setup in an observatory (custom made shed) and suspect been left in situ.

The main mirror looks ok but does seem to have some specs of dust on it. Other than that though it looks clean

Everything else on the scope looks to be fine (if in used condition). Motors seem to run smooth.

The attraction is really the setup as it comes with a pier, wedge, tripod, electric focuser and 10 eyepieces.

The guy is selling up and getting rid of everything.

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. If you are thinking about investing in deep sky imaging, may I suggest that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will tell you what is the most appropriate kit to buy and why you need it to get good consistent imaging. For imaging solar system objects, the proposed set up will be fine as being bright objects, longer exposure and tracking aren't required when employing the services of a webcam. Deep Sky is a different matter and from what I have read, the wedge will need to both solid and very accurate is you want to accees longer exposures. The above book is modestly priced but rich in information and will help clarify this question for you.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice folks. Decided to go the LX90 so will be looking forward using it over the coming weeks/months and getting things setup for my father so he can easily use it. Expect more questions to follow folks :)

Cheers

Dave

Archived