Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to Buy Distilled Water?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I not sure what all this talk of bacteria has to do with anything. You're hardly going to be using it in a class A cleanroom are you? Whats all this bacteria talk about?

I agree, its just for the final rinse of the mirror not open heart surgery

It is advised only to use pure water as deionised, RO etc. has bacteria in it. What harm will this bacteria do to the mirror, surely there is bacteria everywhere, am I missing something?
This article from Sky and Telescope shows someone rinsing their mirror under the tap to remove most of the grime. Then they use DI water for the "delicate" stuff.

Had a terrible time getting hold of distilled water.Finally clubbed together and got a few gallons delivered off fleabay.

Local chemist could get me " pure water". I had to give my identity details ,including proof of id. These were written in the book and I had to show id to collect. In the end it was awful and left water marks.

Still at least I'm on the water allowed register.

Nick.

I agree, its just for the final rinse of the mirror not open heart surgery

Precisely. I've worked in cleanrooms where the microbiology and sterility is paramount and the fluids are uber duber triple filtered and gamma irradiated and allsorts to ensure there's nowt microbial in there...for drug manufacturing, not rinsing a scope mirror! Blimey we'll be using Cat3 containment cabinets next! :(

I suppose you could use water for injections it has no electrolytes or micro-organisms as its made in a sterile environment. Although would be expensive as its off the top of my head roughly £5 for 5 ampules of 10ml

I'd be tempted to use spit then potable water followed by very dilute HCl then washed off with potable water again. Don't think it's a good idea using isopropyl alcohol or acetone.

Had a terrible time getting hold of distilled water.Finally clubbed together and got a few gallons delivered off fleabay.

Local chemist could get me " pure water". I had to give my identity details ,including proof of id. These were written in the book and I had to show id to collect. In the end it was awful and left water marks.

Still at least I'm on the water allowed register.

Nick.

I was after some trigene to clean my rebreather and went into the chemist and asked for phosgene. :(

I'm probably still on a little list somewhere.

Yep, be very, very careful with purified water, absolutely lethal in the wrong hands :(

Heavy water is enriched with the heavier deuterium atom instead of hydrogen. I don't believe people can actually realistically make 2H2O at home. Besides u can make all sorts of things from lil odds and sods from chemists like explosives and hallucinogens, and before someone asks no I'm not saying how to make these things. Lol

Heavy water is enriched with the heavier deuterium atom instead of hydrogen. I don't believe people can actually realistically make 2H2O at home. Besides u can make all sorts of things from lil odds and sods from chemists like explosives and hallucinogens, and before someone asks no I'm not saying how to make these things. Lol

Agreed. Doesn't stop the powers that be thinking it though!

Yep, be very, very careful with purified water, absolutely lethal in the wrong hands :(
Yes, you might drown in it :)
I'd guess it's because you could use it to make heavy water which is used in the manufacture of nuclear fuel. Or just covering themselves!

As for it's use in the nuclear business I doubt that there's any link. Although D2O is a moderator in Pressurised Water reactors you wouldn't go and try to extract it from something you bought in a retail shop and the quantites you could reasonably extract from seawater are insignificant. Graphite is another substance used as a moderator, but we can still buy pencils.

As far as having it's purchase recorded goes, it sounds to me like a blanket diktat with all the common sense extracted: If it's sold by a chemist, it must be a chemical - and we can't have "ordinary" people buying chemicals, can we? :)

Yes, you might drown in it :)

As for it's use in the nuclear business I doubt that there's any link. Although D2O is a moderator in Pressurised Water reactors you wouldn't go and try to extract it from something you bought in a retail shop and the quantites you could reasonably extract from seawater are insignificant. Graphite is another substance used as a moderator, but we can still buy pencils.

As far as having it's purchase recorded goes, it sounds to me like a blanket diktat with all the common sense extracted: If it's sold by a chemist, it must be a chemical - and we can't have "ordinary" people buying chemicals, can we? :(

No we can't. That would be far too much responsibility for Joe Public.

Some things you can buy from a chemist seem tame but it's all down to use. For example H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) it can be used as a bleach or mouthwash, but if you know what you're doing it can also be used as an explosive as demonstrated by the 7/7 bombings

Dihydrogen monoxide is also freely available and enormously dangerous in it's liquid, solid or gaseous forms.

You can't be too careful.

I received a pure 1L bottle of it unsolicited via post the other day :(

I previously purchased some a couple a couple of weeks back from a chemical company and they mistakenly sent me a second bottle.

I received a pure 1L bottle of it unsolicited via post the other day :(

I previously purchased some a couple a couple of weeks back from a chemical company and they mistakenly sent me a second bottle.

Keep them in separate rooms in case they go critical.

Archived