NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to Buy Distilled Water?

Hi All,

Does anyone know where to buy distilled water on the high street?

I have found places online but the carriage can be more than the cost of the water. I have been to Halfords but they just sell deionised water which I believe is not suitable for mirror cleaning. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deffo aquarium shop. I have a marine aquarium and have my own reverse osmosis unit (I'm in London and happy to supply if you're heading down this way). They will sell it as RO water and it should have a TDS of zero - or close to!

There's a shop in Whitley Bay called Marine Life. I have never been so can't vouch for quality but they have a good enough reputation. You may end up purchasing more than just water though!

I bought 5 litres of B.P purified water from my local pharmacy for £3.75. Its supposed to be the same thing. I have tried it out on a household mirror and it dries streak free...

post-24496-133877777999_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It looks like the chemist or aquatic shop is the place to go. I’m going to the chemists on Thursday to pick a prescription up, I will make enquiries there. You can always rely on SGL to get the info you need, thanks again guys and gals.

I would just like to clarify that RO water may have all the salts removed especially if it been put through de ionising resin but it will still contain bacteria whereas distiller water contains absolutely nothing

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just like to clarify that RO water may have all the salts removed especially if it been put through de ionising resin but it will still contain bacteria whereas distiller water contains absolutely nothing

Matt

Thanks for the info on RO water, how about the BP purifiad water, will that be ok?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It looks like the chemist or aquatic shop is the place to go. I’m going to the chemists on Thursday to pick a prescription up, I will make enquiries there. You can always rely on SGL to get the info you need, thanks again guys and gals.

I tried chemists, halfords, iron mongers a few weeks back and most only sell de-ionised water these days so I ordered off the internet from http://www.apcpure.com/ (loads of other places on ebay as well ) or try pc over clocking and cooling sites - they use it as a coolant. I also bought a 1L bottle of 99.9% isopropyl while I was at it - delivery was pretty quick and relatively cheap

Don't be tempted to immerse anything metallic in very high purity distilled water, or put it in your iron as it will make it rust as it sucks the ions out of the metal. So I was told on a site I go to that makes it's own very pure water.

I have a very frosty freezer compartment in need of a defrost, bring a bucket and take as much as you like...

Well I am a pharmacist and I can tell you that distilled water is available to buy from most pharmacies. Although will usually need to be ordered in. I would suggest going to an independent chemist instead of boots, Lloyds or any supermarket. Reason being independents use a number of wholesalers whereas boots and the others rely on one or two, usually alliance or aah. Ask chemist if they use sigma pharmaceuticals they have definately got some

Well I am a pharmacist and I can tell you that distilled water is available to buy from most pharmacies. Although will usually need to be ordered in. I would suggest going to an independent chemist instead of boots, Lloyds or any supermarket. Reason being independents use a number of wholesalers whereas boots and the others rely on one or two, usually alliance or aah. Ask chemist if they use sigma pharmaceuticals they have definately got some

Unfortunately where I live we only have Boots, Co-op and Lloyds :)

(not that I use the chemists often). When I asked about isopropanol you would think I was asking for plutonium - even got a funny look asking for distilled water.

(not like the good old days when as a kid you could buy alum crystals and copper sulphate)

What about using WFI? Would that be the same?

It is advised only to use pure water as deionised, RO etc. has bacteria in it. What harm will this bacteria do to the mirror, surely there is bacteria everywhere, am I missing something?

Archived