SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Widefield M27

A quick process to beat the rush on this one. :(

I got some strange coloured stars all over the place, so I will need to play a lot more before its finished, but how much can you do in a lunch break?

926_thumbnail.jpeg

(click to biggerise)

Tips would be useful on the layering methods for LRGB as well as it seems that I'm carp at it.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Excellent data there KK. Maybe try turning down the saturation just a tad and bring the highlights down. We tend to overdo it a little bit to make it more dramatic, but often it just looks cartoony.

I bet you can do a lot with that data mate.

Baz.

Lol...listen to me....you'd think that I reckon I'm a seasoned astrophotographer now...sounds like I think I know what I'm saying...hehehehe :insects1:

As my lunch breaks are a bit longer than yours :(, I had a little play with your image.

Managed to turn the green stars back towards white, lifted the midtones a bit, and brought out some more background stars.

Dave

post-13389-13387733032_thumb.jpg

Oops sorry MB :oops:

Yes you did Rog. but I'm very rusty due to being rained on too much recently. :(

Yes the Atik.

7 8 minute subs binned 1X for Lum. through a CLS filter

4 each 2 minute subs for RG&B binned 2X and upsized in Maxim

L, R ,G and B images aligned in Maxim

Aligned in Maxim and roughly nailed together in Photoshop as follows:-

Copied each image as layers, changed to RGB mode.

Added a curves adjustment layer and a hue/saturation adjustment layer to each colour layer giving 100% saturation, clicking colourise and setting the colours to 0, 120 and 240.

Colour layers set to screen mode with the luminance set to (you guessed it) luminosity.

This is as per the guide in Practical Astronomer as far as I can remember, but it could be partly or wholly wrong.

Kaptain Klevtsov

The image looks way over saturated CC.

I didn't see the Practical Astronomer article but I process a combined RGB image and don't work on them as seperate layers. This is recommended by Ron Wodaski and a number of other gurus. I can't be doing with adjustment layers either. So here is my routine.

Stack and align each channel in maxim. Transfer to PS using FITS liberator. Do a routine process of the luminence with iterative standard curves and levels to reset the black point. Sharpen, noise reduction, star treatment and clean up. Perhaps oversharpen the highlights a little.

combine the RGB image from the channels palette drop down menu selecting merge/RGB. Then standard curves on the master channel. Levels black point correction on each individual channel to remove colour bias. Keep repeating being increasingly gentle with the curves until happy with the appearance.

Next adjust the colour balance using the the "pseudowhite point" - bring up the histogram which shows the different colour channels and note the pixel levels at which this point starts to rise. Normally this should be similar for each channel. Note the correction that needs to be made to the individual channels to achieve this and then apply this correction with the colour balance tool. Observe the histograms as you adjust the colour balance. If it doesn't look right make your own adjustments (provided you are happy with the quality of your colour vision!).

Recheck the levels then apply a small increase in saturation if you feel it necessary - can really bring out the noise so not to be overdone.

Star first aid and image clean up

Apply a small gaussian blur to reduce noise. Copy and paste onto the luminence and choose colour as the blend mode.

I've had a bash at MB's method described above and, after getting about thirty different looking images, I chose this one.

933_thumbnail.jpeg

(click to bloat)

I think its better as its more like one in a book I have lying about somewhere, but I could be wrong. I'm going for the prettiest picture here as my RGB filters are cheapo ones and I don't know about calibrating them so the colour balance is guesstimated.

Hope you like it.

Kaptain Klevtsov

That looks a lot better to me KK. I do what you've done, get it somewhere near and then play around with the colour balance to my hearts content. Try selecting highlights in the colour balance, toning down the blue and giving the red a bit of a boost. That should bring out the Ha regions a bit more.

After all that Martin.. :( I'll stick to B&W for the moment!

Helen

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds Helen, honest :)

And it seemed to be very effective for KK too - I love the re-edit!

Helen

PS enough challenges with B&W to keep me out of mischief for a while!

The Re-Edit is great! Nice one KK.

The process described by Martin made me wince :) - totally over my head

You lost me from

Do a routine process
onwards :(

Superb image KK, great image with a fantastic re-edit!

Ant

Archived