NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which transit set up

Hi with the upcoming Venus transit, i have an option on which set up to use.

The choice is my OO OMC140 f/14 or my Vixen 102fl @f/9 i want to photograph it if alls well but the OMC only has a 1.25" focuser whilst the Vixen has 2" which one would be more suited since i can't mount both at once

Ray

i'm gonna go for my 63mm,not luggin a big dob up a hill that early on the morning...to look at cloud and rain!, and don't tell me anything about the chance of good weather... haleys comet was gonna be visable,the eclipse was going to be great..yadda,yadda...sadly i hope to be proven wrong. so take which is easiest to handle

You don't need a big scope to see the transit. I used my old 60mm Tasco refractor to project the sun onto white card during the last transit of Venus - we got some fine views and photographs through the whole of the transit from first to last contact :eek:

Pity this years has such awkward timing ;)

What time is the transit, i can see it's early dors but not sure exactly, i'll get a good veiw from my garden if it's early.Ray

Hi Ray, from my location (Essex UK) sunrise is at 03.46 UT when Venus will be on the Solar disc, Interior Egress is at 04.37, Exterior Egress is at 04.55 hrs.

For BST add 1 hr to all times.

We will need a good NE horizon and luck to catch a glimpse. Several of my club plan to try.

Good luck ;) Ed.

Cheers Ed but I think we're going to struggle here in the midlands, sunrise is at 04:45 i think leaving about 45min's for observation, if you can get high estwing you might have a better chance than me.

Ray

Hmm - not sure about getting up that early in the morning but you never know ;) At least I have a good view NE though not quite horizontal - there's a hill a bit higher than we are here.

I'm in Brum but plan to make the journey over to Skegness. I will have no obstacles other than clouds and maybe boats but I think it will still be a struggle to catch it at the altitude I'll be viewing from.

Archived