NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anybody glimpse the 'SUPERMOON'?

chownsie

My GF is from the Cezch Republic...her Mum rang us yesterday evening to explain in every detail how warm it was (28c) and how HUGE the moon looked.;)

Not a thing here on the south coast *sigh*

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was pretty clear when I went to bed. The moon was bright as hell though and was on the wrong side of the house.

Plus, it was about 1 degree C and I'd drunk a bottle of wine.

Only glimp I got of the moon was the teasing glow reflecting from the clouds, I stayed up till bout 2am and then I was like, sod this!

Yep,you've just described the last 3 weeks of life in Rhyl every single night perfectly.;)

Given the cold I didnt have any of the scopes out but when the cloud cover cleared I had a gander with a pair of 10x50 binos and you know while the moon certainly looked brighter & a lil more imposing than usual, it really did not look bigger.

You won't really notice the size difference because the change is gradual and there's nothing really to compare it with.

Right. My wife and I saw the Moon last night, and my wife was not impressed.

When we only have an in image in the mind's eye with which to compare, we can be quite wrong. For example, when there is no moon in the sky, I sometimes point out the pointer stars to non-astronomers. I ask "How many full moons will fit between those stars?"

Inevitably, the image of the full moon in the mind's eye of the person is larger than an actual full moon, so the answer is usually something like "Five.", when the right answer is "Eleven."

Try this on someone!

Way too cloudy for me to see anything ;)

I did laugh at the pictures on the news, all of them were from places other than the UK.

Just how much closer was it anyway - I cant find anything other than average orbital distance.

Hi, this is my first post here and I got my first bit of astrophotography done last night so thought I'd post it. Had an amazing view of the supermoon last night as well as Saturn, Tethys, Dione and Rhea.

I'm very new to astronomy, got my first scope a few months ago (Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian) but had very little luck with the weather here in Newcastle (specifically Heaton) so last night was great.

I just used my old Canon Ixus held up against the eyepiece and took a few shots till I got something good then made a few tweaks in photoshop to enhance detail. Pretty pleased with the finished result.

(p.s. sorry for not using the introduction section for my first post, just thought this would be more apt)

post-34030-133877770845_thumb.jpg

I looked out the window at 2am as i was going to bed and was amazed at just how bright everything was. The sky looked like the sun had only gone down a couple of hours and was distinctly blue. I just read a few mins ago about the "super moon", so that would explain it. Ive never seen the sky that colour under a full moon. Its usually awash with milky white colour.

Archived