Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Street Lighting ???

Viv

Hi all :hello2:

Alll around the local estate, there are new lamp posts going up.

I'm feel a bit of doom & extra brightness is about to arrive !!

I just hope it's not that new style of lighting.

Could be hello LRGB imaging, but really didn't want to even start thinking about that for a few years.

Thank you for looking & the link Jarrod !

Really strange, my road is although not a main route, is a very long continous one. So it changes name 3 times from start to end (sounds really odd - but it's about mile and half).

The other 2 sections are listed (which is where i'm seeing the poles going up), ours isn't. However the whole area is on the map as a lanterns to be swapped, or replaced ............

Wonder if I can ask them not to replace, the one by the garden :hello2:

That's alright. :hello2:

There wouldn't be any harm in asking that's for sure, they might say no but at least you tried.

That form might be a good idea, don't forget to add the part about how it will effect your enjoyment of your property, that seems to be an approach they might listen to.

The lights are being changed around my house at the moment, although my street hasn't been done yet. I would say there is a significant reduction in light pollution, particularly once they are dimmed after 11pm.

That may still be a problem for you from an imaging point of view, but for me it seems better. I very much doubt they would be able to leave any of the old ones because of the way they are controlled but maybe you could request a shield on the one (s) nearest you?

Stu

Thank you for looking & the link Jarrod !

Really strange, my road is although not a main route, is a very long continous one. So it changes name 3 times from start to end (sounds really odd - but it's about mile and half).

The other 2 sections are listed (which is where i'm seeing the poles going up), ours isn't. However the whole area is on the map as a lanterns to be swapped, or replaced ............

Wonder if I can ask them not to replace, the one by the garden :hello2:

Early this year we go new lights in our road and I wrote a thread about it. I found out who was the top bloke in the county council for street lighting and spoke to him, sent an email containing a google sat view of our road with the lampposts marked and asked nicely if they would be kind enough when replacing the light outside my house if they could place it further away as it interfered with my telescope and he said yes straight way and even asked me where I would like it placed to be best for my viewing.

The new lights are 45w white with decent shades (and with extra shields if requested) and at 12:30am they dim by 50% which makes a real difference in my local area, so much now that the streetglow I got in the sky is considerably diminished.

thank you guys - that gives me hope, that even if nothing is done about the position, then it imaging could still be possible (without expensive filters).

Stu - that's a huge difference, the second just looks like a dark day, rather than you've been tango'd !

Done. Have basically said how lighting effects (the short version), & if they can tell me what the plan is, for the specific light.

Have chucked a couple of corny / complimentary lines in at well - worth a try.

Let me see what happens .............

I may have asked before...but, is it true that if you point your laser pointer at the sensor on top of a street light - you can fool it into switching off????

i tried this with a green 10mw laser and it had no efect at all just out of curiosity mind..:hello2::D

I read this thread with excitement!

I then read our local councils website (Derbyshire County Council) and saw a page about reduced street lighting. I could hardly contain my excitement (I probably should get out more!).

Then I read that there are no plans what so ever to reduce/replace any street lighting in my town...awww nuts... icon28XX.gif

I may have asked before...but, is it true that if you point your laser pointer at the sensor on top of a street light - you can fool it into switching off????

I'm convinced this is an urban myth. I've never met anyone who's been successful. Can anyone here honestly say they've done it?

I'm convinced this is an urban myth. I've never met anyone who's been successful. Can anyone here honestly say they've done it?

I have not done it personally (no laser) but I have seen it done with a friend in Stafford

I have not done it personally (no laser) but I have seen it done with a friend in Stafford

Ah, so it can be done then? It's just that it's always been 'my mate's friend's cousin knows someone down the pub who did it!' I've never encountered anyone who's seen it done first-hand.

Don't forget that not all switches on top of street lamps are light sensitive. Many of them are time switches that adapt to daylight times throughout the year, and on these a laser would have absolutely no effect.

Back to the OP, if its the same lights we has put in round here then (for some mad reason) the laposts are about 1 1/2 meters taller - which throws the light right into your bedroom... and yes, its very very bright white light.

I managed to nab one of the engineers who was installing them and he said they were cosmo energy saving bulbs, that were (supposed) to be dimmable. But as of yet, i have seen no evidence of this dimming.

The only up side is that the new fittings throw less light upwards and have a sharper cutoff point from the location of the lamp (you can see the border between illuminated and dark areas).

Just looked up the cosmo bulbs, they seem to be metal halide... n0t g00d :hello2:

Thanks for the info.

I've got the school run soon, so will check the posts on the way, see the height difference.

I've got no reply as yet, but only sent last night .......... oh hum .....

Ah, so it can be done then? It's just that it's always been 'my mate's friend's cousin knows someone down the pub who did it!' I've never encountered anyone who's seen it done first-hand.

I have 'witnessed' a green laser turn off a street lamp. May not work with all lamps though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CyBtzMGXA

I wouldn't recommend trying to switch a street light off by pointing a laser at it, lasers are for collimating and star pointing. You might get a knock on the door from the local constabulary for your troubles. If your have problems with over bright street lights or street lights that are obtrusivie you should go through the proper channels and contact your local council and ask them to install a shield to reduce the glare.

Peter

Archived