SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Twilight over the Pentland Firth

Not long now before astronomy falls foul of the long summer nights.

The first shot taken 11.30 shows plenty of twilight to the North.

The second one a little later and more to the North East shows a hint of the Milky Way over the castle.

6768flickr.jpg

6781flickr.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lovely photos Stewart - I noticed last night how much lighter it was even with the horrible cloudy skies we've been having recently. Am looking forward to getting to a dark sky spot in the Mountains about 40 miles from me and taking some photos of the Milky Way in the late summer.

Nice one

Steve

Great photography as always Stewart. Out of interest what were the settings for the second image and is it a composite ?

Paul

Its a single image but i over exposed it so as the sea would show up like it has.I then darkened the sky using a photoshop ND Grad filter.
Excellent Stewart, you live in one lovely place. I don't see that many stars when the sun is down, let alone when it is still in the sky. Great pictures but can you put some exposure data on them please for us photographically minded people :(

We are lucky with dark skies up here and some great coastal locations,one of which i'm going to tonight with some members of the Caithness Astronomy Group so hope to get a photo or two.

Top one is 30 seconds

f4.5 and ISO 1600

Second one is 30 seconds

f4 and ISO 5000

Canon 5DMKII Canon 17-40 L lens.

The first shot with the sunset on the horizon,there's nothing but sea from there to Iceland so if its clear you get the most fantastic sunsets and the orange glow lasts over a couple of hours after sunset.The only drawback is from mid May to mid July you hardly get any proper dark skies.

On mid sumers day the sunsets at 22.30 and rises at 04.00 but theres still daylight to the north at 00.30 and by 02.00 its starting to get brighter again.

Great magical light for photography but astronomy is a non starter for a couple of months.

The first shot with the sunset on the horizon,there's nothing but sea from there to Iceland so if its clear you get the most fantastic sunsets and the orange glow lasts over a couple of hours after sunset.The only drawback is from mid May to mid July you hardly get any proper dark skies.

On mid sumers day the sunsets at 22.30 and rises at 04.00 but theres still daylight to the north at 00.30 and by 02.00 its starting to get brighter again.

Great magical light for photography but astronomy is a non starter for a couple of months.

I remember when I was up there in a motorhome and got up one morning about 3:30 because of the amount of light, went for a walk with the camera and got some of the best stag shots ever. At that time they didn't seem to expect me to be there - wonderful :(

I remember when I was up there in a motorhome and got up one morning about 3:30 because of the amount of light, went for a walk with the camera and got some of the best stag shots ever. At that time they didn't seem to expect me to be there - wonderful :(

Yes,sleeping in it is not easy sometimes,mind you we can make up for it in the long dark winters.:D

<Yes,sleeping in it is not easy sometimes,mind you we can make up for it in the long dark winters.>

I had to do some work up in Thurso a few December's back, and the sun barely crested the hill to the south of the hotel I was staying in all day! Shame I never had a scope back then -a very long night of clear skies followed. Must be really grim place to endure winter if its cloudy and rainy though!

Isn't that why whiskey was invented in Scotland - those long cold winter evenings wouldn't be the same without a scotch or two :(:):D!

The trouble is one or two leads to ten or twelve;)

<Yes,sleeping in it is not easy sometimes,mind you we can make up for it in the long dark winters.>

I had to do some work up in Thurso a few December's back, and the sun barely crested the hill to the south of the hotel I was staying in all day! Shame I never had a scope back then -a very long night of clear skies followed. Must be really grim place to endure winter if its cloudy and rainy though!

Yep,it can be pretty grim in winter and when the wind blows enthusiasm for life kinda drains out of you;) but those long clear ,calm, frosty nights are a joy.

Beautiful images Stewart:)

I am new to this but i would like to take photos like yours Stewart.

Can i ask do you process your images much,or can you get near what we see here straight from the camera.Do you shoot in RAW??

I have CS3 to use though i am not very familiar with it,so mainly use Fastsone to do my images,but feel i could do with doing summat else to em to make em pop as they say,like your images.

I suppose location does help and i live in the second city so there is a lot of light pollution.

Any help advice would be appreciated:icon_salut:

Beautiful images Stewart:)

I am new to this but i would like to take photos like yours Stewart.

Can i ask do you process your images much,or can you get near what we see here straight from the camera.Do you shoot in RAW??

I have CS3 to use though i am not very familiar with it,so mainly use Fastsone to do my images,but feel i could do with doing summat else to em to make em pop as they say,like your images.

I suppose location does help and i live in the second city so there is a lot of light pollution.

Any help advice would be appreciated:icon_salut:

I photoshop my images to hell and back if needed:D and back there again till i get what i want.I prefer effect over realism.

I dont have a strict workflow but i do follow a similar pattern of processing with most of my shots.

I posted what i do here if its of interest to you.

http://stargazerslounge.com/showpost.php?p=2156781&postcount=11

The colours especially are great, do you use HDR at all? :hello2:

I used to like HDR/Tone mapped shots but i really cant be bothered with them now.Dont think i've done a HDR for a couple of years now.

Archived