Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Great hobby or most frustrating..........

Ford295

The worst thing for me is that when I do get a clear night I can't see half of what I try to find due to terrible light pollution. I've vowed to do less observing but a greater proportion at a decent site. The only plus is that when I do get to a dark site I can star hop to new DSOs easier as I've learned how to find them without seeing them.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have many weather apps on my phone and regularly check them all day everyday. I haven't been out with my scope for nearly 3 weeks now and its frustrating seeing it ready to go in my front room. What does everyone else do in the meantime?

When its raining and the clouds are not going away its time to practice your processing skills or read a good book but I have lots of other interests. Sometimes a dose of clouds is nice but not when it goes on for weeks and weeks. It is April and April showers are part of it all I guess but hey we need the rain and it does clear the atmosphere a treat.

Cmon guys chin up you can always watch the Jeremy Kyle show,the real housewives of Orange County or, the one thats got me on the edge of my seat, Steps on the Road Again !!

Bet you'd be really depressed then :D

Davey-T

Cmon guys chin up you can always watch the Jeremy Kyle show,the real housewives of Orange County or, the one thats got me on the edge of my seat, Steps on the Road Again !!

Bet you'd be really depressed then :)

Davey-T

Lets not forget Gilmore Girls :D

Work takes up alot of time as I work shifts but I try to read different books I'm reading: the girl with the dragon tattoo, day by day Armageddon a zombie survival book and mistborn a fantasy book. I also enjoy a bit of TV when I'm tired as I don't have to think too much. Hoping to sort out the garden as I will need a machete to cut the grass soon.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

I think a lot of hobbies can get frustrating if you let things get to you. I've had a bit of a frustrating time recently with astronomy (work and poor weather) but lives too short to stress about things.

Have to say learning to play the guitar takes my mind off the clouds - infact there's been quite a few times when it has been clear but I've sat and practised my guitar rather than go out in the cold.

Don't forget, even though night sky sessions get clouded over, it's still a quiet escape into peace and quiet, and get away from the daily hum drum routine of most of our daily lives.

The secret is to have a few hobbies- I surf - no waves, birdwatch - rain stops play, hike- same thing, astronomy - clouds - play guitar (wife can't stand the noise) - theres always something to do but every hobby has its frustrations - not quite sure how I fit work in sometimes but despite being a great outdoor hobby astronomy is a great learning hobby aswel so theres plenty you can do without going outside the front door (poor excuse I know)

Indeed... or train spotting, then find out that all the trains are cancelled. I can certainly imagine that happening.

Mind you I'm glad we don't appear on the 10 of the Weirdest Hobbies - Oddee.com (strange hobbies, funny hobbies)

Have to say learning to play the guitar takes my mind off the clouds - infact there's been quite a few times when it has been clear but I've sat and practised my guitar rather than go out in the cold.

Interesting, as there seem to be quite a few guitar players, judging from a previous thread.

By the way, no need to say 'learning to play the guitar' I think even those of many years standing will still own up to 'learning' :D A great pastime and I hope you are progressing faster than me - I get into a rut and play the same thing over and over :).

The biggest frustration for me is when I have to get up early in the morning and the skies are clear the night before. Do I go out and risk a day of grumpiness struggling to keep my eyes open or go to bed in the hope the skies are going to be the same at the weekend ? I have no doubt this hobby is bad for my health leaving me feeling like I have a hang over the day after a good nights observing yet I can't help but enjoy being out in the freezing cold getting damp from dew squinting my eyes to see every last bit of detail through a tiny lens and struggling to stay awake while getting a pain in my neck straining to find almost featureless deep sky objects under my LP skies, paying out ever increasing amounts of money only to gain the subtlest of improvements in detail on what are often nothing more than grey smudges. Great hobby but always frustrating :)

Great post spaceboy.

I think there alot of people here that feel exactly the same and in the same circumstances.

Frustrating yes but those few good nights more than make up the normal British weather.

Interesting, as there seem to be quite a few guitar players, judging from a previous thread.

By the way, no need to say 'learning to play the guitar' I think even those of many years standing will still own up to 'learning' :) A great pastime and I hope you are progressing faster than me - I get into a rut and play the same thing over and over :(.

Yes guitar playing has it's own frustrations. I love the old blues guys but think I need at least one extra pair of hands to do what they do - and then the timing would way off.:)

Spaceboy - I know what you're saying. Sums it up very well. My girlfriend thinks I'm a total nutter.

Yes guitar playing has it's own frustrations. I love the old blues guys but think I need at least one extra pair of hands to do what they do - and then the timing would way off.:)

Spaceboy - I know what you're saying. Sums it up very well. My girlfriend thinks I'm a total nutter.

My wife knows I am a total nutter :)

The skies were clear last night so I am less frustrated.

Saw M81,M82, The moon, Venus, Mars and a cluster in the west that I don't know.

I wish I had had accurately polar alligned now.

The skies were clear last night so I am less frustrated.

Saw M81,M82, The moon, Venus, Mars and a cluster in the west that I don't know.

I wish I had had accurately polar alligned now.

Good job you didn't - we did and by the time it was spot on the clouds came over grrrr

Archived