Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Reading

Jim-a

Hi Everyone

After lurking for a little while (and being massively impressed by how helpful the community is on here), I've joined.

I borrowed a 4" reflector from a friend a couple of months ago and have since had good views of Jupiter and its moons, Saturn and last weekend I clocked up my first Galaxy (whirlpool).

I can't believe I allowed myself to get to the age of 41 before I saw the rings of Saturn with my own eyes, and I'm keen to explore more.

I'm already suffering from telescope envy, but even though the scope I've borrowed is pretty basic (an older SW114 - the non parabolic one) after a couple of attempts I've got to grips with collimating it, am getting better at polar alignment and am starting to work out how to find things in the sky. I'm guessing that by holding off clicking on the 'buy a SW200P' button and trying to get the most out of the kit I have available, I'll have a better clue of what to look for when I do eventually buy.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum. If you want some ideas of what to look for, you might want to download a useful piece of free planetarium software called 'Stellarium' details of which are here. Easy to use, lots of features such as date/time advance which will let you know when objects will become available and lastly, it can be configured to show the night sky from your particular observing location.

Clear skies for now

James

Archived